Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Time taken to obtain SS#

Time taken to obtain SS#

Old Aug 26th 2007, 8:03 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time taken to obtain SS#

Originally Posted by dh010447
Dude! Do you work for these people? If not - you should, you know everything
Work for them .... he owns it .....
Old Aug 26th 2007, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Ray
Work for them .... he owns it .....
I don't think I would ever want to own up to owning the Social Security Administration!! lol
Old Aug 27th 2007, 2:04 am

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dh010447
I don't think I would ever want to own up to owning the Social Security Administration!! lol
Yes that is a scary thought, especially to a lot a people working at SSA. LOL
Old Aug 27th 2007, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

big_fish is an unknown quantity at this point

I went to the SS office on 21st June and had my card by mid July, so about 4 weeks.

Fortunately I was able to pick my new car up before then as it was registered under mine & my wifes names (US citizen). I do remember having to sign a form to confirm I didn't have an SSN at the time.

I have up to 1 yr (I think) to get my drivers licence sorted...so that chore can wait!!
Old Aug 27th 2007, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by big_fish
I went to the SS office on 21st June and had my card by mid July, so about 4 weeks.

Fortunately I was able to pick my new car up before then as it was registered under mine & my wifes names (US citizen). I do remember having to sign a form to confirm I didn't have an SSN at the time.

I have up to 1 yr (I think) to get my drivers licence sorted...so that chore can wait!!
You might want to check on that 1 year to get your license sorted... I don't know about where you are, but in Georgia once you become a resident, you have 30 days to get a Georgia license. If you don't become a citizen, you can drive for up to a year. You become a resident 10 days after living there.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

loopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond repute

^ yep, we had 30 days grace on our Uk one.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 1:07 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mdyoung
She can be assigned an SSN with her birth certificate, I-94, passport and marriage certificate.
oh - thanks for posting this - i had read the post a few before that said as a spouse i might not be able to drive after 30 days until i had the ead and ssn and was just about to bang my head on the desk and stress about what i would do!

karma for you!
Old Aug 28th 2007, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by MsElui
oh - thanks for posting this - i had read the post a few before that said as a spouse i might not be able to drive after 30 days until i had the ead and ssn and was just about to bang my head on the desk and stress about what i would do!
Just make sure you take the POMS references with you when you go into an SSA office, since an L-2 spouse applying for an SSN without the EAD and using the marriage certificate along with I-94 and passport probably doesn't come up a lot. Hopefully, that will keep the SSA employee BS factor low. LOL
Old Aug 28th 2007, 2:18 pm
Twice half his height

Knight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond repute

What sort of reaction is to be expected if you go into an SS Office with your policy print out and tell them what is correct?

I've been told to take one or two of these with me (and I will be taking this one in case I have delays with being on SAVE), but just curious what to expect.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 4:57 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Knight
What sort of reaction is to be expected if you go into an SS Office with your policy print out and tell them what is correct?
Knight, it's like anything. The reaction is dependant on how you 'tell them what is correct'.

Basic human relations, pal.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 5:33 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I've been told to take one or two of these with me (and I will be taking this one in case I have delays with being on SAVE), but just curious what to expect.
You say to them ..I wonder if this will help you ...
I doubt you get many cases like mine .. and smile
Old Aug 28th 2007, 6:05 pm

If you have a problem with the Service Rep at the front desk, ask to speak with the office manager and show the POMS references to him or her. If they still will not let you apply, you can try another SSA office.

You can obtain the address and directions to the nearest Social Security office from the Social Security Office Locator, which is available on the Internet at:

http://www.ssa.gov/locator

Note: People who live or receive mail in the Brooklyn, NY, Queens, NY, or Las Vegas, NV area must apply in person at one of the Social Security Card Centers.

Card Center Information:

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/...p?p_faqid=1412
Old Aug 28th 2007, 6:23 pm
Twice half his height

Knight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Knight, it's like anything. The reaction is dependant on how you 'tell them what is correct'.

Basic human relations, pal.
Heh, yeah, there is that. I was just thinking if they took it as me going in there and telling them how to do their job, sort of thing. I'll be nice about it.

Originally Posted by Ray
You say to them ..I wonder if this will help you ...
I doubt you get many cases like mine .. and smile
Cheers for that Ray, I imagine in small town MS where I am going, they haven't dealt with m/any K1 visas at the local office.

Originally Posted by mdyoung
If you have a problem with the Service Rep at the front desk, ask to speak with the office manager and show the POMS references to him or her. If they still will not let you apply, you can try another SSA office.
For some reason, I had it in my head that you had to apply at the office nearest you. I hadn't considered going to another one, but I am sure it won't come to that, this was all just speculation. Fingers crossed anyway.

All this trying to plan what is going to happen and what I need to do, I've not even had the K1 interview yet!

Thanks to all for the tips though.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 8:37 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

on the driving licence front - is it just some states that say your uk driving licence is good for 30 days or is that a country wide rule? im particularly interested in ohio. my hubbie tells me its a year there - but want to verify it independantly lol
Old Aug 28th 2007, 8:52 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
on the driving licence front - is it just some states that say your uk driving licence is good for 30 days or is that a country wide rule? im particularly interested in ohio. my hubbie tells me its a year there - but want to verify it independantly lol
On many (most?) fronts, individual States have their own laws and guidelines. Driving is one of those fronts: the ONLY answer that will apply to you is what the State of Ohio DMV has to say.

The thing that has confused the issue is a Federal Act that is requiring States to tighten up their licensing rules. Each State interprets/enacts this in their own ways.
The problem this can make for legal non-immigrants is a disconnect between existing 'residency' rules and these new 'prove your legal status so illegals can't get a license' rules.

Bonus info!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver's_license#United_States
Because there is no national identity card in the United States, the driver's license is often used as the de facto equivalent for completion of many common business (and governmental) transactions. As a result, driver's licenses are the focus of many kinds of identity theft. Driver's licenses were not always identification cards. Indeed, in many states, driver's licenses did not even have a photograph well into the 1980s. Activism by the Mothers Against Drunk Driving organization for the use of photo ID age verification in conjunction with increasing the drinking age to 21 in order to reduce underage drinking led to photographs being added to all state licenses. New York and Tennessee were the last states to add photos in 1986. However, New Jersey later allowed older drivers to get non-photo licenses; this was later revoked. Vermont license holders have the option of receiving a non photo license. Later additions varied from state to state, and have included fingerprints, bar codes, magnetic strips, social security numbers and tamper-proof features, most of which were added to prevent identity theft and to curb the use of fake IDs. States have now slowly been converting to digitized driver's licenses which incorporate holographs and bar codes to prevent forgery.

I know what I would do if I were me, but I can't tell you to do the same.
(PS: a lot of common sense applies)

Bottom line: there are no country-wide driving license 'rules'. Find out what is required by your State to get an Ohio license.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.