Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Time taken to obtain SS#

Time taken to obtain SS#

Old Aug 25th 2007, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Time taken to obtain SS#

Hi All,

I applied for my SSN 2 weeks ago at the local SS Office. I arrived in the US on the Saturday afternoon and went to the office Monday Afternoon. The woman that I spoke to told me that I wasn't in the system yet as I had just arrived in the company. She told me I could ether come back and apply a couple of weeks later (at which point I would be in their system) or apply there and then, but it would take up to 8 weeks because they would have to confirm my details with USCIS.

Well - the SS Office was not the nicest place I had ever seen (notices in there saying that guns were not allowed and that killing or taking a member of staff hostage was a federal offense didn't make the place seem any nicer) and i really didn't want to have to come back again - so I decided to apply there and then.

So - I was just wondering if anyone else has been in this situation and how long it took them to get their number? I am hoping that it really isn't going to take that long as I need it to get my local driving license which, in turn, I need to have top pick up my nice shiney new car...
Old Aug 25th 2007, 8:44 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time taken to obtain SS#

The normal advice is don't bother to try until about 2 weeks after you arrive .... usualy the info is available to them at that time ..

so around 3 week would be a norm ..some quicker some longer

Mine took 11 weeks ... for an unknown reason ..
Old Aug 25th 2007, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Ray
The normal advice is don't bother to try until about 2 weeks after you arrive .... usualy the info is available to them at that time ..

so around 3 week would be a norm ..some quicker some longer

Mine took 11 weeks ... for an unknown reason ..
Bloody hell! 11 weeks??? Thats crazy! Hope mine dosnt take that long - I wouldn't be able to afford a hire car for that long! Actually, I wouldn't be allowed to drive on my UK license for that length of time... So I wouldn't be able to go to work... Ok - now I am worried!! :s
Old Aug 25th 2007, 10:10 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dh010447
Bloody hell! 11 weeks??? Thats crazy! Hope mine dosnt take that long - I wouldn't be able to afford a hire car for that long! Actually, I wouldn't be allowed to drive on my UK license for that length of time... So I wouldn't be able to go to work... Ok - now I am worried!! :s
LOL..that was unusual..unlikely your will be similar
Old Aug 25th 2007, 10:16 pm

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

When an alien requests an SSN or replacement/corrected SSN card, SSA will verify his or her documents and current status with the appropriate Bureau of the Department of Homeland Security. If the initial verification is not available through the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) system, SSA may need to send Form G-845 for manual verification.

However, in cases like yours, if you haven't been in the U.S. for at least 10 days when they try the initial verification they are supposed to hold tight and try again once you have been here 10 days before going to the next verification step.

RM 00203.735 Requesting Online (Primary) Verification By SAVE:

http://web.archive.org/web/200510020...lnx/0100203735

For applications submitted after 01/06/2007 SSA offices can submit an additional electronic verification request, that in most cases eliminates the need for a Form G-845 to be sent. However, the response to the additional electronic verification request can be to send copies of the immigration document(s) under cover of Form G-845.

I would go back to the office after you have been here 10 days and ask them to do the initial verification again and start yelling for the office manager if they will not do it.

This is from the J-1 section, but it applies to every visa status.

"If information about the applicant is not available at the time of the SAVE initial verification request and the F-1, J-1 or M-1 applicant has not been in the U.S. for at least 10 calendar days (as shown by the date of entry stamped on the I-94), use the SS-5 Assistant SAVE query functions to requery SAVE when 10 calendar days have elapsed since the admission date.
If the SAVE initial verification results still do not confirm the immigration status of an applicant who has been in the U.S. for 10 calendar days or more, follow RM 00203.736 to submit a SAVE electronic additional verification request.'

https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203488
RM 00203.488 Verifying the Immigration Status of Foreign Students (F-1 and M-1) and Exchange Visitors (J-1)

If your status still does not verify through the initial SAVE request be sure that the secondary request has been made and return to the SSA office no more than once a week to see if the SSA office has received a response from the secondary verification request. If the G-845 is sent wait two weeks and start checking once a week for a response. Be sure to take your document whenever going into the SSA office.

You may find additional SSN and employment information on the Internal Revenue Service Website at:

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/...129227,00.html
Old Aug 25th 2007, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

I went to register for my SS# after being in the US for 2 weeks, the guy who was processing my application could confirm that I was in their system however, he could not give me my number as this had to be mailed. 1 week later my new card arrived, so in fact to get hold of your number it will take approx. 3 weeks at a minimum.
As regards your driving licence, according to a friend who is an official at the Georgia Department of Motor Vehicles, you are required to obtain a Georgia driving licence after you have been resident for 30 days, when you apply for your licence and apply to take your test you will be required to provide a bank statement, or utility bill in your name, you will not normally have either of these within 30 days of your arrival in the US, I my particular case as our household shipment took 8 weeks we lived in a hotel and did not become officially resident in Georgia until we moved into our apartment. (BTW I had my SS# card mailed to the hotel.)
When you buy your car make sure to ask the dealer to give you a temporary tag for 60 days, this will give you enough time to get sorted out at home before you apply for your plates.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by Vimto
I went to register for my SS# after being in the US for 2 weeks, the guy who was processing my application could confirm that I was in their system however, he could not give me my number as this had to be mailed. 1 week later my new card arrived, so in fact to get hold of your number it will take approx. 3 weeks at a minimum.
Wrong Wrong Wrong!!! Numbers are assigned, cards are printed and mailed from Social Security Headquarters, but once the SSN record had been established, you could have gone back to the SSA office and found out your number long before the card was received. Normally, the next day after the application was processed.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mdyoung
When an alien requests an SSN or replacement/corrected SSN card, SSA will verify his or her documents and current status with the appropriate Bureau of the Department of Homeland Security. If the initial verification is not available through the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) system, SSA may need to send Form G-845 for manual verification.

However, in cases like yours, if you haven't been in the U.S. for at least 10 days when they try the initial verification they are supposed to hold tight and try again once you have been here 10 days before going to the next verification step.

RM 00203.735 Requesting Online (Primary) Verification By SAVE:

http://web.archive.org/web/200510020...lnx/0100203735

For applications submitted after 01/06/2007 SSA offices can submit an additional electronic verification request, that in most cases eliminates the need for a Form G-845 to be sent. However, the response to the additional electronic verification request can be to send copies of the immigration document(s) under cover of Form G-845.

I would go back to the office after you have been here 10 days and ask them to do the initial verification again and start yelling for the office manager if they will not do it.

This is from the J-1 section, but it applies to every visa status.

"If information about the applicant is not available at the time of the SAVE initial verification request and the F-1, J-1 or M-1 applicant has not been in the U.S. for at least 10 calendar days (as shown by the date of entry stamped on the I-94), use the SS-5 Assistant SAVE query functions to requery SAVE when 10 calendar days have elapsed since the admission date.
If the SAVE initial verification results still do not confirm the immigration status of an applicant who has been in the U.S. for 10 calendar days or more, follow RM 00203.736 to submit a SAVE electronic additional verification request.'

https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203488
RM 00203.488 Verifying the Immigration Status of Foreign Students (F-1 and M-1) and Exchange Visitors (J-1)

If your status still does not verify through the initial SAVE request be sure that the secondary request has been made and return to the SSA office no more than once a week to see if the SSA office has received a response from the secondary verification request. If the G-845 is sent wait two weeks and start checking once a week for a response. Be sure to take your document whenever going into the SSA office.

You may find additional SSN and employment information on the Internal Revenue Service Website at:

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/...129227,00.html
Oooh - lots of info there. Thanks

I am actually back in the UK now and will be here for the next 3 weeks before returning to the US for good. I thought I was being quiet pro-active in applying for my SSN while I was there 2 weeks ago, but apparently not.

I'll give them a call in a weeks time to see how things are progressing and then if I have to - I'll go back to the office when I'm back in the US. Maybe I can get them to re-try the verification over the phone

My card is being mailed to my employer for safe keeping until I return.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

As regards your driving licence, according to a friend who is an official at the Georgia Department of Motor Vehicles, you are required to obtain a Georgia driving licence after you have been resident for 30 days
Yeah - its a bit of a pain. Not sure what my wife is going to do when she gets here. Cant get a EAD for three months (L2 visa), cant get SSN till EAD is processed. So going by their own CRAZY laws, cant drive one she has been the the country for 30 days! I guess she can always take their non-existent public transport!

When you buy your car make sure to ask the dealer to give you a temporary tag for 60 days, this will give you enough time to get sorted out at home before you apply for your plates.
By tags I am guessing you are referring to license plates? I already have accommodation sorted so do I still need these temp tags?
Old Aug 26th 2007, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

I was really lucky. When I got here in 1992, I went to the SS office and they just gave me a number (after I filled out a form). That was it. It took, maybe, 30 mins to complete the whole process!
Old Aug 26th 2007, 1:14 pm

Oooh - lots of info there. Thanks

I am actually back in the UK now and will be here for the next 3 weeks before returning to the US for good. I thought I was being quiet pro-active in applying for my SSN while I was there 2 weeks ago, but apparently not.

I'll give them a call in a weeks time to see how things are progressing and then if I have to - I'll go back to the office when I'm back in the US. Maybe I can get them to re-try the verification over the phone

My card is being mailed to my employer for safe keeping until I return.
To get anything done you have to go into the office. Now while in the UK you can go to the Federal Benefits Unit office to see it you have been assigned a number, since they aren't supposed to give out numbers over the phone.

Federal Benefits Unit
American Embassy
24/31 Grosvenor Square
W1A 2LQ London
England
Phone: 44-207-499-9000
Fax: 44-207-495-7200

http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/acs/fbu/index.html
Old Aug 26th 2007, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

loopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond repute

Wrong Wrong Wrong!!! Numbers are assigned, cards are printed and mailed from Social Security Headquarters, but once the SSN record had been established, you could have gone back to the SSA office and found out your number long before the card was received. Normally, the next day after the application was processed.

We certainly could not do as you have suggested.

In fact after applying the SS staff would not discuss it FULL stop.

We got a letter confirming receipt of application and on it it said not to call and ask about SSN but to wait for it.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

loopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond repute

Ours was nearly 11 weeks too, ended up with a $10,000 rental bill for car from airport.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 6:44 pm

Yeah - its a bit of a pain. Not sure what my wife is going to do when she gets here. Cant get a EAD for three months (L2 visa), cant get SSN till EAD is processed.
She can be assigned an SSN with her birth certificate, I-94, passport and marriage certificate.

https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203500
RM 00203.500 Employment Authorization for Nonimmigrants

C. Policy - Employment Authorization by Class of Admission

The following policy applies to employment authorization by class of admission:

1. Aliens Work Authorized Without Specific DHS Authorization

The following sections list nonimmigrants, by alien class of admission codes, who are authorized to work in the U.S. without specific authorization from DHS. The person’s I-94 will not have the DHS employment authorization stamp and the alien will generally not have an EAD.

L-2 -- Spouse of an intracompany transferee

When an EAD card is issued to an L-2 spouse, the I-766 shows “A-18” under Category and the I-688B shows “274a.12 (A)(18)” under Provision of Law.

If an EAD is not submitted, applicant must submit a marriage document as evidence that he/she is spouse of the L-1 alien

https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203600
RM 00203.600 List of Documents Establishing Lawful Alien Status for an SSN
Card

NOTE: When an alien listed below has an (*) next to the description, he/she may work only when DHS grants employment authorization and issues an EAD. When the alien presents an EAD, check the CITIZENSHIP FIELD “Legal alien allowed to work” and code the PRA with an N. When an alien listed below has an (**) next to the description he/she may work only when either DHS grants employment authorization and issues an EAD OR the person presents, in addition to an I-94 showing an E-1, E-2, or L-2 classification of admission code, evidence he/she is the spouse of the principal E-1, E-2 or L-1 alien.

The evidence of marital relationship between the applicant and the principal E-1, E-2, or L-1 alien is a marriage document (issued prior to admission to the U.S. as an E-1, E-2, or L-2 non-immigrant).
Old Aug 26th 2007, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

She can be assigned an SSN with her birth certificate, I-94, passport and marriage certificate.

https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203500
RM 00203.500 Employment Authorization for Nonimmigrants

C. Policy - Employment Authorization by Class of Admission

The following policy applies to employment authorization by class of admission:

1. Aliens Work Authorized Without Specific DHS Authorization

The following sections list nonimmigrants, by alien class of admission codes, who are authorized to work in the U.S. without specific authorization from DHS. The person’s I-94 will not have the DHS employment authorization stamp and the alien will generally not have an EAD.

L-2 -- Spouse of an intracompany transferee

When an EAD card is issued to an L-2 spouse, the I-766 shows “A-18” under Category and the I-688B shows “274a.12 (A)(18)” under Provision of Law.

If an EAD is not submitted, applicant must submit a marriage document as evidence that he/she is spouse of the L-1 alien

https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203600
RM 00203.600 List of Documents Establishing Lawful Alien Status for an SSN
Card

NOTE: When an alien listed below has an (*) next to the description, he/she may work only when DHS grants employment authorization and issues an EAD. When the alien presents an EAD, check the CITIZENSHIP FIELD “Legal alien allowed to work” and code the PRA with an N. When an alien listed below has an (**) next to the description he/she may work only when either DHS grants employment authorization and issues an EAD OR the person presents, in addition to an I-94 showing an E-1, E-2, or L-2 classification of admission code, evidence he/she is the spouse of the principal E-1, E-2 or L-1 alien.

The evidence of marital relationship between the applicant and the principal E-1, E-2, or L-1 alien is a marriage document (issued prior to admission to the U.S. as an E-1, E-2, or L-2 non-immigrant).
Dude! Do you work for these people? If not - you should, you know everything

Thanks for that info - so my wife can get a SSN before her EAD. That makes life a little easier

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.