Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Those Poor People Affected by Hurricane Katrina

Those Poor People Affected by Hurricane Katrina

Old Sep 1st 2005, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Those Poor People Affected by Hurricane Katrina

Unbelievable footage on the news of widespread looting - looks like a complete breakdown in law and order in some places.
Old Sep 1st 2005, 3:25 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rompers
Unbelievable footage on the news of widespread looting - looks like a complete breakdown in law and order in some places.
I think this is to be expected. I don't have a problem with food being taken. It is going to spoil anyway. It is when you see people taking TV's, etc..that you want to shake your head. Where are they going to use it for?
Old Sep 1st 2005, 3:29 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izibear
I think this is to be expected. I don't have a problem with food being taken. It is going to spoil anyway. It is when you see people taking TV's, etc..that you want to shake your head. Where are they going to use it for?
food and clothing, even camping gear I think would be understandable..but the electronics...well there looking out for themselves in the future, store it away if they can and flog it for money later...they are the poorest of the poor anyway and just taking the opportunity...still not right though...but it's all going to be claimed on the stores insurance anyway...
Old Sep 1st 2005, 3:31 am
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I've given up on them.

It sickens me that the looting by black people gets so much airtime, FFS, the people who live in the area who are poor are BLACK as they are everywhere else in this country. HELLO. If you were hungry you'd eat anything even a crate of Mars bars or if you could find a dry spot you'd roast some of the nutria rats.
I shake my head at some of the tripe that you post, sometimes. If they were stealing food, then I don't think it would get the airtime. But when people are breaking into jewelers, or walking down Canal Street with 6 pairs of Nikes under their arms you can't seriously think they are just trying to survive. That is taking advantage plain and simple. And just for your information, I've seen plenty of footage of white people looting too. So don't give me that crap about how the media only care about the black looters.

Last edited by NJ_Dave; Sep 1st 2005 at 3:37 am.
Old Sep 1st 2005, 4:18 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izibear
well the footage I saw was of people stealing booze and clothing...doh the clothing's gonna get spoiled and after a night on the piss you are severely DEHYDRATED morons!! I heard a New Orleans police officer was shot in the head...nicking Nike's is one thing murdering a police officer is another ..those scum bags! I hope they get caught...but we can't let this make us forget about the decent 90% who are just in need of basic supplies, they 're families just needing food , water and shelter

actually my hubby met a family today at the gas station that had just arrived in Houston, they had no cash left...they couldn't even access their ATM my hubby gave them some cash and directed them to the Astro dome...but now the authorities are saying they can only house those who are coming from the N.O Superdome...what about the rest of them???
Old Sep 1st 2005, 4:27 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NJ_Dave
I shake my head at some of the tripe that you post, sometimes. If they were stealing food, then I don't think it would get the airtime. But when people are breaking into jewelers, or walking down Canal Street with 6 pairs of Nikes under their arms you can't seriously think they are just trying to survive. That is taking advantage plain and simple. And just for your information, I've seen plenty of footage of white people looting too. So don't give me that crap about how the media only care about the black looters.
well there's probably a reason for most of the looters being black..that's because most of the people left in New Orleans are black , especially the lower middle class who probably couldn't afford to evacuate, look at the footage of most of the people being rescued..they are also black....I don't think the looting really is a racial issue , I think it just shows black looters because there is a higher number of black individuals left in the city.....but you are right , the footage I saw was not of people stealing bread , milk ,diapers but of stealing booze, and clothing...idiots what good is a pair of Nikes when you have to wade though miles of water
Old Sep 1st 2005, 4:35 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I shake my head at some of the tripe that you post, sometimes. But when people are breaking into jewelers, or walking down Canal Street with 6 pairs of Nikes under their arms you can't seriously think they are just trying to survive. That is taking advantage plain and simple. And just for your information, I've seen plenty of footage of white people looting too. So don't give me that crap about how the media only care about the black looters.
On what channel have you seen white looters? I haven't, on CNN and FoxNews.

I also haven't seen looters with six pairs of Nikes, and I wouldn't stand for that either. Throw 'em in jail.

I *have* seen the disconcerting footage of refugees coming to Houston's Astrodome and being turned away because it is only supposed to be used for those coming from the SuperDome. Where are these people going to stay?
Old Sep 1st 2005, 4:48 am
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute

On what channel have you seen white looters? I haven't, on CNN and FoxNews.
Must have been an imaginary news channel. All they were showing on CNN and Fox were starving black people thieving sandwiches from Subway and McDonalds.
This guy here definitley ain't black:

I also haven't seen looters with six pairs of Nikes, and I wouldn't stand for that either. Throw 'em in jail.
well maybe it was 5, but who's splitting hairs?

I *have* seen the disconcerting footage of refugees coming to Houston's Astrodome and being turned away because it is only supposed to be used for those coming from the SuperDome. Where are these people going to stay?
Missed that part, but if it was the case then it's pretty screwed up. But the whole rescue operation looks like a logistics nightmare at the moment, and hopefully places will be found to house every last refugee.

Last edited by NJ_Dave; Sep 1st 2005 at 4:51 am.
Old Sep 1st 2005, 4:56 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Must have been an imaginary news channel. All they were showing on CNN and Fox were starving black people thieving sandwiches from Subway and McDonalds.
This guy here definitley ain't black:

well maybe it was 5, but who's splitting hairs?

Missed that part, but if it was the case then it's pretty screwed up. But the whole rescue operation looks like a logistics nightmare at the moment, and hopefully places will be found to house every last refugee.
I'll look at the FoxNews coverage. (Edit: the one picture looks to be a Hispanic man -- still a minority though no, he isn't black.)

http://www.khou.com/topstories/stori....10c99fd7.html

"Houston's hotels and shelters are filled with folks who fled Hurricane Katrina, but officials stressed that those people should not plan on staying at the Astrodome.

The only people allowed into the Astrodome will be those transported from New Orleans. Other evacuees already in Houston will not be allowed to relocate to the facility. Those being bused in will be given passes to allow them into and out of the Astrodome area.

That decision has caused some anger from tired evacuees in search of housing who thought they had that one problem solved.

Tempers flared Wednesday when some evacuees were turned away from the Astrodome. The shelter is reserved only for the storm victims who were being bused in from the Superdome.

One family of nine that was crammed into a single four-door vehicle admitted they were desperate to find housing. They had all but run out of money and had only a quarter-tank of gas remaining.

They said they've been able to eat at the area shelters, but there was no room for them to sleep."
Old Sep 1st 2005, 6:06 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Why are all the ads at the bottom of my page for adult diapers?..
Old Sep 1st 2005, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

Piccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nice

I'll look at the FoxNews coverage. (Edit: the one picture looks to be a Hispanic man -- still a minority though no, he isn't black.)

http://www.khou.com/topstories/stori....10c99fd7.html

"Houston's hotels and shelters are filled with folks who fled Hurricane Katrina, but officials stressed that those people should not plan on staying at the Astrodome.

The only people allowed into the Astrodome will be those transported from New Orleans. Other evacuees already in Houston will not be allowed to relocate to the facility. Those being bused in will be given passes to allow them into and out of the Astrodome area.

That decision has caused some anger from tired evacuees in search of housing who thought they had that one problem solved.

Tempers flared Wednesday when some evacuees were turned away from the Astrodome. The shelter is reserved only for the storm victims who were being bused in from the Superdome.

One family of nine that was crammed into a single four-door vehicle admitted they were desperate to find housing. They had all but run out of money and had only a quarter-tank of gas remaining.

They said they've been able to eat at the area shelters, but there was no room for them to sleep."

Why are people having to drive as far as Houston for shelter. Surely your churches are taking people in? Isn't this 'bible belt country? Why not a tented city outside the trouble areas.
Old Sep 1st 2005, 12:05 pm

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

Yes, which is why I'm saying this.
Glad you're not my mum!!
Old Sep 1st 2005, 12:07 pm

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by rincewind
Maybe it's just me, but I would find a "fly-over" in a jet insulting.

The useless moron should be in waders and be there "for the people."

But I see your point, they have suffered enough
The reason the President isn't visiting just now is because his visit would use so many resources that are better used for the people affected!
Old Sep 1st 2005, 12:43 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Those Poor People Affected by Hurricane Katrina

This is the official news(paper) site for New Orleans.

The accounts of the suffering are heartbreaking:

http://www.nola.com
Old Sep 1st 2005, 12:51 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pigtails
The reason the President isn't visiting just now is because his visit would use so many resources that are better used for the people affected!
I dunno - he's the damn "leader" he should be seen to be there getting his feet wet. Leading, in fact. It's not a Party thing - Guiliani got dirty in NYC.

Doesn't have to fly around the place in jets - his security detail isn't going to be sent to do anything else anyway, they're are with him whatever, nor will his helicoper be sent to help either - bet it's parked on the White House lawn.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.