Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving to Florida. Need to know everything!

Thinking of moving to Florida. Need to know everything!

Old Jul 8th 2006, 5:09 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving to Florida. Need to know everything!

FFS....... I go for my afternoon nap ..and a ripe one arrives...

1. living in Florida is nothing like a vacation.... wages are low and utilities are expensive...there are taxes and fees for everything
2. If hubby does not have a degree or you don't have a great deal of capital ..forget it.
3. If you like snakes and multiple specimens of huge insects together with a dwindling amount of rodents... thats a plus sign ...
4. Are you anti-gun .. we all carry guns here ...
5. The schools and education are crap ... with very few exceptions ...
6. Medical Insurance ....a bloody nightmare..and expensive ..especially with children..
7. Insurances .. all expensive if you can get it .. particularly property ..
8. The state is full of scammers in every business...
9. Do you like serious humidity 5/6 months of the year...
10. Warranties on goods is just a rumor....
11. The state is full of scammers in every business...

12. Tshirts and shorts are cheap though ...

Have you considered South Dakota instead ...
much cooler ..and less taxes..... and no hurricanes.....
Old Jul 8th 2006, 5:20 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Very succinctly put.......spot on....

*ps...did not know that early bird specials ran that late!*
Old Jul 8th 2006, 11:03 am
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
...........and you could be the first Brits to emigrate there!!
Old Jul 8th 2006, 12:30 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
...........and you could be the first Brits to emigrate there!!
Yea but its a hell of a drive to Disney
Old Jul 8th 2006, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

AvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ray

1. living in Florida is nothing like a vacation.... wages are low and utilities are expensive...there are taxes and fees for everything
2. If hubby does not have a degree or you don't have a great deal of capital ..forget it.
3. If you like snakes and multiple specimens of huge insects together with a dwindling amount of rodents... thats a plus sign ...
4. Are you anti-gun .. we all carry guns here ...
5. The schools and education are crap ... with very few exceptions ...
6. Medical Insurance ....a bloody nightmare..and expensive ..especially with children..
7. Insurances .. all expensive if you can get it .. particularly property ..
8. The state is full of scammers in every business...
9. Do you like serious humidity 5/6 months of the year...
10. Warranties on goods is just a rumor....
11. The state is full of scammers in every business...

12. Tshirts and shorts are cheap though ...

A more accurate description of Florida could not be found. We've been here two years and can't wait to leave.
Old Jul 8th 2006, 1:10 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AvromShalom
A more accurate description of Florida could not be found. We've been here two years and can't wait to leave.
I have been here 10 years ... With no hope of parole

What was bad for you ... and where will you go next ...
Old Jul 8th 2006, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

AvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ray
I have been here 10 years ... With no hope of parole

What was bad for you ... and where will you go next ...
We'll probably head elsewhere, possibly Mexico , possibly Bangkok , Florida was a mistake made in haste ,With regards to what is bad, where do I start ?The things you stated in your list esp Medical insurance, The humidity is killing me, How transient the state is and how Dumb the Yanks are, The fact that therethere is more culture in the Yoghurt in my Fridge. I could go on and on. I'd seriously warn anyone off moving to Florida.
Old Jul 8th 2006, 2:18 pm
Ray

We'll probably head elsewhere, possibly Mexico , possibly Bangkok , Florida was a mistake made in haste ,With regards to what is bad, where do I start ?The things you stated in your list esp Medical insurance, The humidity is killing me, How transient the state is and how Dumb the Yanks are, The fact that therethere is more culture in the Yoghurt in my Fridge. I could go on and on. I'd seriously warn anyone off moving to Florida.
You will find more culture in both the places you mention...
Bangkok humidity is even worse ... Dumb you ain't even met yet ..
Old Jul 8th 2006, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray

Ahhhh The Raymeister has arrived in style!

South Dakota??????? Had the misfortune to spend several days there, two weeks ago. It was hotter than hell..........90+!

Granted - no Hurricanes, but, they get their fair amount of Tornadoes every year.

Good luck getting a job....unemployment in Douglas County (just south of Pierre) is 80%.

Why does everyone back in Blighty think that life is just one enormous bowl of cherries, over here?????

Jim.
Old Jul 8th 2006, 5:34 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Ahhhh The Raymeister has arrived in style!

South Dakota??????? Had the misfortune to spend several days there, two weeks ago. It was hotter than hell..........90+!

Granted - no Hurricanes, but, they get their fair amount of Tornadoes every year.

Good luck getting a job....unemployment in Douglas County (just south of Pierre) is 80%.

Why does everyone back in Blighty think that life is just one enormous bowl of cherries, over here?????

Jim.

Florida: Where the streets are paved with gold, the houses are all made from candy and everyone smiles all the time
Old Jul 8th 2006, 5:38 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Florida: Where the streets are paved with gold, the houses are all made from candy and everyone smiles all the time
Don't be silly, they're made from Gingerbread.
Old Jul 8th 2006, 5:40 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Don't be silly, they're made from Gingerbread.
No wonder I have this urge to lick things.........
Old Jul 8th 2006, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

And we for got to mention terrible bland food, Hurricanes, and Dumb and dumber people, and the raging christians, we're surrounded by them. I have no objection to someone following the religion of their choice but it seems that here going to Church is the be all and end all. Can't wait to leave hopefully by the end of the year.
Old Jul 8th 2006, 5:57 pm
Being myself

peterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond repute

And we for got to mention terrible bland food, Hurricanes, and Dumb and dumber people, and the raging christians, we're surrounded by them. I have no objection to someone following the religion of their choice but it seems that here going to Church is the be all and end all. Can't wait to leave hopefully by the end of the year.
Some of them seem to have a sense of humour though:

Old Jul 8th 2006, 6:19 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express

Jim.
Because they have been to Fantasy Island aka Orlando a couple of times, where they were surrounded by chavs just like themselves and the rain was warm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.