Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Things that disturb you about the US

Things that disturb you about the US

Old Jul 31st 2005, 11:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things that disturb you about the US

Originally Posted by elfman
As many people die every year in the USA from infections picked up in US hospitals than die from:

AIDS
Breast cancer
Traffic accidents

COMBINED

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in700301.shtml
Suddenly having CNN in my hospital room doesn't seem so important!
Old Jul 31st 2005, 11:51 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Ah yes. That old English saying:

"When in Rome, speak English SLOWLY in a VERY LOUD VOICE to be understood"

...or is that not it?
And...you have to add an O.....to the end of a few words ......

Then you'll have no problemo with the lingo.....!mon oh me...!
Old Jul 31st 2005, 11:57 pm
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Heelllloooo
Old Jul 31st 2005, 11:58 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ransi
Heelllloooo
Ah immigrant scum how are you?
Old Jul 31st 2005, 11:58 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

I have to disagree with the following statement-too simplistic:

Perhaps reforming foreign policies would be a start, that way there wouldn't be any terrorists to worry about in the first place.

Somehow, some way, you are going to get extremists who use such things as an excuse for their atrocities. Especially, anytime you get religion involved in the them or us game throughout history- the Christians vs Jews, Protestant vs Catholic, Catholic vs Moors, and now Christians/Jews vs Moslem. The "foot soldiers" who perpetuate the acts of violence don't give a toss about the big picture, all they know is they have to overcome and win.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 12:00 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Ah immigrant scum how are you?
scuming it....you know how it is!
Old Aug 1st 2005, 12:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I have to disagree with the following statement-too simplistic:

Perhaps reforming foreign policies would be a start, that way there wouldn't be any terrorists to worry about in the first place.

Somehow, some way, you are going to get extremists who use such things as an excuse for their atrocities. Especially, anytime you get religion involved in the them or us game throughout history- the Christians vs Jews, Protestant vs Catholic, Catholic vs Moors, and now Christians/Jews vs Moslem. The "foot soldiers" who perpetuate the acts of violence don't give a toss about the big picture, all they know is they have to overcome and win.
Well I don't think anyone here requires that we go into detail. But foreign policies play a large part, especially when they are moulded for corporate gain.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 12:05 am
Banned

Fig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant future

Whilst I hate to fall back on your country's constitution, I would remind you that its first amendment specifically protects the right to free speech.

Protecting the right to free speech is all about protecting the rights of others to say things that you don't like. Things that offend you. Things that you don't think people should be allowed to say.

Apparently you don't believe in this right.

Where have I said no one has a "right" to speak their mind???

I would add this: I love living in the US. I have a great life over here with wonderful friends, a job that I love with a company I respect and am loyal to. My family and I enjoy many aspects of America that we would not have found in the UK.

However, there are many things we do not like. The same applied in the UK. These things do not get us down much, they don't make our lives miserable. But they are things that we believe should change if America is to become a better place.
A "better place" based on your own culture, not necessarily America's.

Had we stayed in the UK, there would have been things we felt equally strongly needed to change.
It would be a different matter as that is your culture.

When you gather a group of people with a common national heritage together in a place like this notice board, we will all find it a useful opportunity to air these concerns and annoyances, and to discuss them with others who may (or may not) have the same viewpoint as us. That is what this board is for, and it's very useful and constructive as such.
There is nothing "constructive" about obsessing over the negative things about a country you all chose to live in. Nothing at all.

And then there are people like you. You read the posts and feel deeply wounded that we are criticizing your beloved country. Well, you'll have to get over it. Because however much you tell us that "America doesn't need immigrants like you", actually it does, and we're here to stay, and our attitudes will help to shape and influence this country just as the many generations of immigrants have done, back through modern American history. The things that we feel are wrong, bad or unpleasant about this country are things that we can help to change.
I am not "deeply wounded" about any criticism. I am simply pointing out how idiotic and ridiculous it is to constantly dwell on the negative about a country you all chose to live in. By having an objective voice to counter that negativity and hostility can only be beneficial to those that come to America in helping them appreciate and respect the differences they have chosen to live amongst. Many people here need to "get over it" and realize they are in another country with a different culture.

And no, America, or any other country for that matter, doesn't need whining, negative, and hostile immigrants.

You are not a "native American" unless you are descended from an American Indian tribe. Otherwise, you're just another immigrant's child, or grandchild or great-grandchild. Telling us what we can and cannot say is not acceptable from you, nor from any of your fellow countrymen.

Remember, this country was founded by immigrants, on the rights of immigrants to speak freely.
I'm not a native American? Really? Besides the Iroquois indian in my family I was born here so that most certainly makes me a native American, as it does for any other person born in America, whether white, red, or black in skin color. The term "native American" that is used to apply to indians makes no technical sense and is simple an idiotic and politically correct term.

ALL countries were founded by immigrants! Whether you like it or not America, since before its formation, has had its own culture.

Finally, and once again, I never told anyone what they could or could not say. Don't put words in my mouth.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 12:08 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
WellI don't think anyone here requires that we go into detail. But foreign policies play a large part, especially when they are moulded for corporate gain.

As it has always been.
I am not saying that that is right mind you, but it always been a case of winner take all.
Columbus and the explorers who followed him didn't go sailing the ocean blue just to prove a geographical point. Richard the Lionearted didn't go on crusade because he was bored. Henry VIII didn't confiscate the wealth of the churches he had sacked to turn around and give to the poor.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 12:09 am
Banned

Fig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant future

When you said any immigrants that make a complaint should be chucked out, and when you said we should speak as Americans do.

Do you also say that to native Spanish speaking immigrants?
I never said "any immigrants that make a complaint should be chucked out."
And, writing English as it is done so in the country you have chosen to live in should be expected. I have said nothing that is in any way racist.

Spanish speaking immigrants can speak Spanish all they like but they shouldn't expect Americans to understand them nor should they expect America to conform to their unwillingness to learn English, if that may apply.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 12:10 am
Banned

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
It's gets better, I'm crying now......
It would get better if you actually add something to the conversation.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 12:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Fig Newton
Where have I said no one has a "right" to speak their mind???

blah blah blah

say. Don't put words in my mouth.
Your posts are now bordering on pathetic. You've lost your entertainment value.

You have got the wrong end of the stick completely.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 12:18 am
Banned

That is highly debateable.
There's nothing to debate. I pay for my own insurance. In my state someone even on minimum wage can afford tp pay their own health insurance.

Perhaps reforming foreign policies would be a start, that way there wouldn't be any terrorists to worry about in the first place. But if firefighting is the way you want to go....
Terrorists don't need America to exist.

Kyoto wasn't ratified by the US because it would cost US companies money. Period.
Nothing wrong with that. It wasn't fair as China, India, and other developing countries were exempt. I don't hear you complaining about their exempt pollution. Why is that?

Now you just need to worry about all the crap pumped into the atmosphere by gas guzzling cars and such...
Nice comeback ignoring the examples i cited.

It's a world wide problem, not just America's.

Are you sure it was Germany you went to?
Yep, I lived there for three years. Maybe you are seeing America from your own little dark and neglected part of it instead of realizing that it is a large country with 50 states.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 12:22 am
Banned

And there you have it. According to Fig the US is just fine, thanks, and keep your damned mouth shut if you think otherwise.

You are welcome to quote me where you think I have said such silly things.

"Kyoto is an unfair and flawed treaty, period"

Fig, correct me if I'm wrong, but Americans say "period" as short hand for "end of discussion - nothing more to say" don't they? So, you're telling us how the world is, and we're supposed to listen to your views and you require us to agree?
The world is what??

The Kyoto treaty is unfair and flawed. That's a fact, not an opinion.

You can pay for your own health insurance just fine? Well done! That must mean that the system's just fine, eh? Just so long as you can pay, that's all that matters. I don't think I've ever encountered such selfishness.
You are making silly conclusions.

You're very happy to air your own opinions, aren't you? All that matters is that others should not reply, disagree or in any way criticize your views.
I think you need to read again everything I have written.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 12:22 am
Banned

Sorry, I just lumped you in with the rest of the "America's the greatest, and if you don't like what we do, or the way we do it, f*** off" bunch.

But you haven't given a reason to not be lumped in with them.
Your opinion that goes in line with your sarcasm and rudeness.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.