Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Things that disturb you about the US

Things that disturb you about the US

Old Jul 31st 2005, 10:53 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things that disturb you about the US

Originally Posted by Fig Newton
You probably don't know what patriotism is. You grew up in Europe where such sentiment is usually seen as nationalism and pretty much grotesque.
I'll have you know my car is covered in UK flags.......you can't have too many flags.....its how we Brits got our Empire.......by the cunning use of flags.......
Old Jul 31st 2005, 10:53 pm
Banned

Fig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by krizzy
So if you don't like the European attitude.....what brings you to a place full of them.....

Don't worry I will not stay for long; just passing through. Why would anyone want to hang around people that constantly complain and are sarcastic and nasty to others?
Old Jul 31st 2005, 10:54 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Patriotism to Americans DOES NOT mean America is perfect. It is simply affection for our country. That sentiment doesn't come with political and social baggage.
If you think that patriotism is not politicized in this country (and has nothing to do with nationalism, like you think it does in Europe) then you really have not been paying attention for at least the last five years.

Last edited by elfman; Jul 31st 2005 at 10:56 pm.
Old Jul 31st 2005, 10:56 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
Patriotism to many Europeans means taking pride in your country by improving it for all its citizens and visitors, not pretending it's perfect and being unwilling to even consider that other countries may have a point in the way they do things.

And to too many Americans patriotism means driving around with a chinese-made "support the troops" magnet on their car while re-electing a government that cuts the benefits, pay, and support services of the troops while sending them off to die on the other side of the world under false pretences.
The karma is flying out the window today......
Old Jul 31st 2005, 10:56 pm
Banned

Fig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant future

Well from what I've read so far.....you seem to need people like that...if not then you would of left by now......
I'm making some points that will hopefully be useful and positive to others. Think about it.

And as i said in my previous post I will not be staying too long.
Old Jul 31st 2005, 10:57 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
True Cind, only 56,202,111 of them are!
Because someome votes republican does not make them "fundamentalist."
Old Jul 31st 2005, 10:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I'm making some points that will hopefully be useful and positive to others.
That's unlikely. May I suggest you apply for membership of a far right group.
Old Jul 31st 2005, 10:59 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

I'm making some points that will hopefully be useful and positive to others. Think about it.

And as i said in my previous post I will not be staying too long.
Luckily for the europeans
Old Jul 31st 2005, 11:00 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Because someome votes republican does not make them "fundamentalist."
Define fundamentalist?
Old Jul 31st 2005, 11:00 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

The karma is flying out the window today......
which begs the question: who gave old Figgy all that karma??
Old Jul 31st 2005, 11:01 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

Don't worry I will not stay for long; just passing through. Why would anyone want to hang around people that constantly complain and are sarcastic and nasty to others?
I should ask your friends that one hon......we don't know you well enough yet....
Old Jul 31st 2005, 11:04 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
See, you're getting it all mixed up.

No one here demands that all Americans suddenly speak the Queen's English and add a tea break into American Football matches.

But we do sometimes suggest that things could be done differently to improve the US society for everyone...

Example 1: Universal Healthcare.
I'm not mixing anything up. You were the one earlier speaking in riddles and sarcasm. I'm very clear in what i say. Besides, my response was to someone else.

Suggesting is one thing but what I have seen, and often see from Europeans, is a nasty criticism about how we should do things. It goes far beyong suggesting.

Our health care system is not perfect but neither are those in Europe. At least we have many choices that are not nearly as expensive as some would have you believe. How long do people have to wait to be seen in the UK for a CAT scan or an MRI? Shall I go on?
Old Jul 31st 2005, 11:05 pm
Banned

I think you've just come out with the biggest load of hogwash ever.....for one the Brits have no culture.... ....do you go to sites with Spanish speaking US immigrants and talk such racist crap .........
What have I said that you feel is "racist???"
Old Jul 31st 2005, 11:05 pm

Shall I go on?
Hasn't stopped you so far
Old Jul 31st 2005, 11:06 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

Originally Posted by elfman
which begs the question: who gave old Figgy all that karma??
True....I never noticed that.......to be honest I think he was sent here to do a wind up....so maybe his buddies give him the karma.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.