Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Things that disturb you about the US

Things that disturb you about the US

Old Jul 24th 2005, 4:37 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Things that disturb you about the US

Since the ever-popular 'Things I Hate' and 'Things I Love' threads are quiet, how about things that just plain old disturb you?

Like all the empty (even shrink-wrapped) boxes of nothingness at Costco (e.g., flash cards, movie tickets, iPods, phone cards, software, etc). Three or four I could understand, but they have hundreds of empty boxes of each kind. Or the fact that everything returned to Costco is destroyed regardless of the reason it was returned.

Or that company policy requires Starbucks baristas to ask me if I need (i.e., want, would like) whip (i.e., whipped cream) on my soy mocha.

Or that there is only one qualification to be a New Mexico magistrate - six months of registered voter status in the district under consideration. Note: legal training / qualifications not required (or even desirable).

Or that I have jumped through 12 years of hoops to get LPR status, when others just have to fill out the back of a postcard.

What keeps you up at night?
Old Jul 24th 2005, 5:51 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things that disturb you about the US

Originally Posted by AdobePinon

The fact that my temp job ended last week, I have $250 in my bank account, the rent is due in 8 days and is $580 and my EAD runs out on August 1st.
Old Jul 24th 2005, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

MattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to all

The downstairs neighbours shagging like bunnies.

Other than that - Walmart. Sending thousands of manufacturing jobs overseas and boarding up countless small town high street businesses is really worth the millions of tons of cheap imported plastic crap that we get in return...
Old Jul 24th 2005, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sarah
The fact that my temp job ended last week, I have $250 in my bank account, the rent is due in 8 days and is $580 and my EAD runs out on August 1st.
Yep, that's gonna do it...

Hope everything works out ok...
Old Jul 24th 2005, 8:00 am
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Since the ever-popular 'Things I Hate' and 'Things I Love' threads are quiet, how about things that just plain old disturb you?

Like all the empty (even shrink-wrapped) boxes of nothingness at Costco (e.g., flash cards, movie tickets, iPods, phone cards, software, etc). Three or four I could understand, but they have hundreds of empty boxes of each kind. Or the fact that everything returned to Costco is destroyed regardless of the reason it was returned.

Or that company policy requires Starbucks baristas to ask me if I need (i.e., want, would like) whip (i.e., whipped cream) on my soy mocha.

Or that there is only one qualification to be a New Mexico magistrate - six months of registered voter status in the district under consideration. Note: legal training / qualifications not required (or even desirable).

Or that I have jumped through 12 years of hoops to get LPR status, when others just have to fill out the back of a postcard.

Other than Sarah's situation,the fact that you can walk into the local Walmart and buy the biggest gun you have ever seen with just a driving license.

:scared: :scared:
Old Jul 24th 2005, 11:48 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Orange cheese
Old Jul 24th 2005, 12:00 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

County coroner is an elected office.
Old Jul 24th 2005, 12:04 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
County coroner is an elected office.
Who votes for them? I mean, their, er, satisfied customers are all a bit past voting.
Old Jul 24th 2005, 12:05 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Who votes for them? I mean, their, er, satisfied customers are all a bit past voting.

I know, I find it very odd.
Old Jul 24th 2005, 12:35 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

I know, I find it very odd.
I find it disturbing that the majority of little boys are not whole as a routine :scared:
Old Jul 24th 2005, 12:45 pm
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by Ben
I find it disturbing that the majority of little boys are not whole as a routine :scared:

Am I going to regret this if I ask you to what are you referring?
Old Jul 24th 2005, 12:58 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Am I going to regret this if I ask you to what are you referring?
This may give you a clue...
http://www.foreskin.org/
Old Jul 24th 2005, 1:08 pm
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by Ray
This may give you a clue...
http://www.foreskin.org/

Well that was an education. Thank you Ray.
Old Jul 24th 2005, 1:40 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

1. The lack of originality! If something is succesful there are a 100 copycats, for example Nanny 911 is a hit, a week later every network has a Nanny 911 show (supernanny), same with the Apprentice and any other show that is a hit. It isn't just tv shows either, GM introduce the employee discount, now everyone is doing it. These firms pay huge amounts to people to come up with ideas!

2. Ketchup abuse, I know the food isnt that good over here but is it any excuse to smother it in 5 gallons of Ketchup? Just ****ing eat ketchup and cut out the middle man.

3. Christian Fundamentalism

4. Click it or get a ticket. one - the rhyming sucks, two - why do the cops on the adverts look so serious, three - surely dying because you havent got a seat belt on is more of a deterant than getting a ticket!

5. People who insist on having conversations with the server in the drive thru

6. the whoop

7. men patting men on the ass

8. the fact someone thinks Regis Philbin is entertaining

9. It took me 5 months, an FBI check, 2 medicals, a credit check, a fire inspection, 4 home inspections and a 12 week course to get a foster license. It took 3 days and a local police check to get a gun license (I bought a gun to shoot the little bastard of a foster child)

10. Joan of Arcadia

11. The lack of tolerance

12. MEN WHO WEAR HATS AT THE DINNER TABLE (should have been number one, don't these people have mothers)

13. The fact I can find 12 things that disturb me about living in America yet I love loving here.
Old Jul 24th 2005, 1:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben
I find it disturbing that the majority of little boys are not whole as a routine.
Yep, that disturbs me, and any if son of mine comes home from the maternity ward less than completely whole the hospital is going to be hearing from my lawyer!

Aside from that what disturbs me is the everyday occurance of stupid points deaths on the road. My local paper, in a county with only a few tens of thousand of residents, seems to run the exact self-same story at least twice a week: "... the car left the road to the right, the driver over corrected and the car spun out of control into on-coming traffic". Some variations of the story have the car hitting a tree or utility pole (on one or other side of the road), or just drifting directly into on-coming traffic. Occasionally the driver of a Geo or a Civic, or simliar, pulls out of a side road in front of a truck - pick-up or 18 wheeler, the results are generally the same.

What I really want to know though is, no matter how little driver education you had, nor how easy the road test is, WHY CAN'T YOU KEEP YOUR CAR BETWEEN THE CENTER LINE AND A THE FRICKIN' VERGE?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.