Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Are there any Expats happy in the US?

Are there any Expats happy in the US?

Old Jan 26th 2005, 11:13 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are there any Expats happy in the US?

I've been out of England for thee years now and have yet to go back for a visit. I did two in Spain then a year here. I can't imagine living in London again but there are times I get nostalgic about it. I do realise though that I'm very much looking at it through rose tinted out of focus goggles.

The first six months here were a bit iffy but I love it. I love where I live, I know tons of people and have some awesome friends. I really think that my friends here are more fun and more reliable than my lot in London. I had loads of calls from concerned American friends offering help through the blizzard. One even came to stay with me as Mr Sibsie is away for a month. They are always making sure I'm ok and I never feel alone when hubby's off flying. I know just about everyone in town now and even the local police are great. I'm always being let off tickets and they are just so nice to me. It could help that my husband's family founded the town years back and are very well known but I think it's more that this is a small town with a small town mentality. MIL is a pain in the arse and I wish she'd drop off the face of the planet but that's my only gripe.

I also made a wonderful friend from this site. She and her hubby spend a lot of time with us and we even vacation together. If you get a chance to meet people from here, do it. I highly recommend it.

There are times when the American way gets on my tits but it's the same everywhere. I adore my husband, we have a great social life, a fantastic lifestyle and I get to spend as much time as I want with my horses. We have a huge boat for summer, go away on weekend getaways and life is good.

Happy? As a pig in shit.
Old Jan 27th 2005, 12:01 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

I went through a little home sickness when I first came here. I think it was mainly due to the stress of not being able to work and a few other problems along the way. There were a few times when I was ready to up and leave and jump on a plane back to Blighty.

I stuck it out and now things are finally working out.

The main thing I miss is my ten year old daughter. I hate being over 4000 miles away from and only being able to see her when we can afford the tickets. I saw last year on my birthday and then this Xmas just gone and we had a great time. As she’s getting older, her emotions are starting to show and on this last trip she was really upset about leaving. It broke my heart and that’s when you begin to question the things you do in life.

Would I go back to the UK? I would if something ever happened to my wife. I would not stay here alone. With the way house prices are at the moment, I couldn’t go back even if I wanted to. I’d have no way of starting over again.

I like the way of life here and I love my wife. So, I am content to remain in the USA.
Old Jan 27th 2005, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I am really enjoying life here. Aside from the much better material things like nice house with pool, great weather that cannot be gotten in the UK, I enjoy the way of life here and could not be happier to think that I'll never have to go back to rip off Britain again to live, apart from the occasional visit. I've been outside of the UK for 7 years now, if I think I start to miss it, a quick trip back soon remedies that. Nice to visit friends and family, go back to live? No Chance!
Old Jan 27th 2005, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

No complaints at all but I am not in the sort of position as most BE members.
Met my future wife here when I was 65. We were married in a Registry Office in the UK, nearly 3 years ago. Fortunately I have full health coverage, as near as makes no difference. No mortgage , family grown up with all of mine in the UK and I have a stepson here. We live in a 2 bedroom brick house and have enough income to be happy. Someone (I think Rincewind) said that if anything was to happen to his wife then I like him would consider returning back to the UK for the same reason. I love the weather here, have very good neighbours and the people are very friendly. I also love my wife very much and she comes first in my life. Missing my mates(?), yes I do but having someone who loves you pushes those thoughts to the back of my mind. My family are a 5cent/min phone call away, or a webcam connection. Whatever your decsion I wish you well.
Old Jan 27th 2005, 1:38 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
Would I go back to the UK? I would if something ever happened to my wife. I would not stay here alone. With the way house prices are at the moment, I couldn’t go back even if I wanted to. I’d have no way of starting over again.

I like the way of life here and I love my wife. So, I am content to remain in the USA.
Sums it up nicely...i'd bug off as soon as if it weren't for the missus, had three good job offers back in blighty...but be crap havin' to live with my mother, or in a tiny bedsit in Oxford...only reason we decided on trying the states, more potential for work too....not that i've been seeing any of it, which is a major downer and goes get you down a bit, but I've made a couple good friends here, and I've got a couple mates scattered across the states.

It is what you make of it I guess and everyone's different, in the end, I ain't that fussed about where I am...but I do need a job for sanitys' sake if nothing else
Old Jan 27th 2005, 10:32 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Undecided Scot
Are there arny Expats living in the US, that are happy and want to remain living in the country? If so, how do you do it?

It seems to me that there are many who want to return home (be it after 1 year, 5 years or 10 years...).
I've been here since Dec 2002 and am very happy, with no intention of leaving. I do it by getting up, going to work, living life, loving my wife and getting on with living. People here are no different to anywhere else, there's just more of them. Since most people are stupid, there's more here to run into than in the UK, but the normal distribution still applies.
Old Jan 27th 2005, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Dan725
Aside from the much better material things like nice house with pool, great weather that cannot be gotten in the UK
Wow! Florida weather betweeen April and October must be hot and humid hell no?
Old Jan 27th 2005, 1:37 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
IIn the US I have a far better quality of life, better weather, no whinging and I don't have to tolerate crap service.
You obviously don't bank with Wells Fargo then?
Old Jan 27th 2005, 1:42 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lizzi
Wow! Florida weather betweeen April and October must be hot and humid hell no?
In mid-summer when it is hot and humid I often go home for lunch, a dip in the pool and a change of clothes. It's a nice hedonistic thing to do.

Florida is great in the summertime, no snowbirds clogging up the restaurants, roads and beaches.
Old Jan 27th 2005, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
In mid-summer when it is hot and humid I often go home for lunch, a dip in the pool and a change of clothes. It's a nice hedonistic thing to do.

Florida is great in the summertime, no snowbirds clogging up the restaurants, roads and beaches.
Same here, hot and humid it might be, but you can swim in your pool, go waterskiing, scuba diving, whatever. Everywhere you go is air conned to the max as well, so its not the problem some might think. Give me the palm trees anyday over the cloudy grey skies will it rain or won't it miserable UK!
Old Jan 27th 2005, 1:50 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by g1ant
You obviously don't bank with Wells Fargo then?
The service here can be dire. My pet peeve is that automated voice hell. My insurance company is the worse. It's just taken me 30 mins to get to speak to a human to try and rectify the error the last human made after I'd waited an hour or so to get through to them. Fortunately they make the mental health problems #1 on their automated service, so if you loose it you don't have to wait as long!
Old Jan 27th 2005, 2:03 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sibsie
The service here can be dire. My pet peeve is that automated voice hell. My insurance company is the worse. It's just taken me 30 mins to get to speak to a human to try and rectify the error the last human made after I'd waited an hour or so to get through to them.
..."0"....."0"! ..... "0" <damn it!>....."0"..... <m-feckers>....."0" <20 min later>.. "0000000"! <bastards>..."0"... <pick up the phone, stoopid!>... "0"

We're sorry! Our customer service representatives are available Tue to Wed, 10:00 am to 4:20 pm. Thank you for calling. <click!>
Old Jan 27th 2005, 2:07 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sibsie
Fortunately they make the mental health problems #1 on their automated service, so if you loose it you don't have to wait as long!
Psychiatric Hotline Answering Protocol
Hello - welcome to the Psychiatric hotline.
If you are obsessive-compulsive, press 1 repeatedly
If you are co-dependent, please ask someone to press 2
If you have multiple personalities, press 3, 4, 5, and 6
If you are paranoid-delusional, we know who you are and what you want. Just stay on the line so we can trace the call
If you are schizophrenic, listen carefully and a little voice will tell you which button to press
If you are manic-depressive, it doesn't matter which number you press. No-one will answer.
Old Jan 27th 2005, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

VFRpilot is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Englishmum]I guess I would on a points scale, give living here 6 out of 10. We live in a pretty (& expensive) suburban town in New Jersey, approx 17 miles west of Manhatten and my husband works for a famous British MNC in Times Square.

We live down the road from you in Chatham, and have the same sort of experience. However, Both our kids were young when we came over 6 and 4. We have been here 10 years and to be honest they (for good or bad) have become American.

For me life here is much better than our existance when based in England. Prior to this 2 year posting, I worked for a British Bank and spent the best part of 4 year communing to Hong Kong, Singapore, Bombay etc. It got to the point where my kids were calling me uncle!!!

I have a real crap commute here but I do at least get to see my wife and kids every day.
We do get back to London a few times a year, but to be honest after a few days I cannot wait to get back home. Not that I like Chatham. Like you I find everybody wrapped up in either the value of their house or just plain money. And I agree that this area is just plain bland. I am sure that much of their wealth claims are in fact false and that they are mortaged up to the hilts. Its quite sad really that after 10 years our few true friends are British. One thing for me that is a real benifit here, is that I have managed to remain quite fit. We have a great over 40s football team that plays at least 3 times a week. I doubt very much if I would still be playing if I was based in England.

We are slowly undertaking our relocation to Florida. Our goal is to be down their full time at the point my youngest is off to college. (3 years to go)
Old Jan 27th 2005, 3:15 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Englishmum
No - good guess though!

It's Short Hills.

These are the shops at our local mall (it has a Bentley and Range Rover on display):

http://www.shopshorthills.com

Oh yes, I do love to be dressed from head to toe in Prada or Versace....NOT!
Hey if your son fancies a trip out west (with all of the snow we've been having) give me a shout he can stay here.

Also I have a friend who lives in the Catskills, is a prosnowboarder for The North Face Extreme Snowboarding Team..... I could hook them up, it would be dope and Dave would be stoked

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.