Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is there any benefit to registering your American kids as British

Is there any benefit to registering your American kids as British

Old Oct 19th 2016, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there any benefit to registering your American kids as British

Originally Posted by kateinbrooklyn
If you're going to register, you might as well apply for a British passport. I did it for my 6-year-old earlier this year and it was easy and really fast.
SmallChog has a consular birth certificate and an American passport. We decided it wasn't worth the additional expense of a British passport as she must exit and enter the US on her American one. The birth certifictae means it's relatively easy for her to apply if/when she needs one
Old Oct 19th 2016, 6:35 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iwshim
I am British by decent - If i register my son as British they will not automaticaly get citizenship; however, will they qualify for special visa status such a "Right of Abode" ?

thanks!
I will respond to your other thread.

Originally Posted by mikelincs
There is a problem with that as the qualifying person is British by descent only, so can't pass Citizenship on at all, they are talking about registering them even though they do NOT qualify for citizenship.
The OP was born in the UK and is therefore a British citizen otherwise than by descent.

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Britinparis can I ask if there's any point registering my daughter's french birth with the GRO? She currently has french birth certificate and holds a British passport. I've always been put off registering her birth since it requires the originals of a lot of very important documents being sent away. However, with Brexit I have been more of a mind to do it... thoughts?
cheers.
Personally I would always do it particularly if your daughter was born in a non-English speaking country. You can order a copy of your daughter's multilingual birth certificate (Formule A) and her full French birth certificate (copie integrale) free of charge from the mairie where her birth was registered or online. If you married in France then you can do the same with your marriage certificate (Formule B). Extra copies of English/Welsh birth and marriage certificates can be ordered for £9.25 a time from the GRO if you don't want to part with the 'originals' and you don't need to send in your passports.

Originally Posted by Wintersong
How would you register him as British if he's not entitled to British citizenship?

If your son wasn't born in the UK, I don't believe he is entitled to citizenship since you are British by descent. It doesn't look as though he'll have any right of abode.
The child wouldn't have Right of Abode in the UK but he would be eligible for Indefinite Leave to Enter if the father was to move back to the UK with her. He may also be eligible to be registered as a British citizen if the father spent at least three consecutive years in the UK before his son was born.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Wouldn't the son have right of abode if the son was born in certain (not all) Commonwealth countries?
No. You're probably thinking of children born in Commonwealth countries to British mothers prior to 1983. British mothers couldn't pass on their citizenship (CUKC) but their children did receive Right of Abode in the UK.

Originally Posted by kateinbrooklyn
If you're going to register, you might as well apply for a British passport. I did it for my 6-year-old earlier this year and it was easy and really fast.
It's a good idea to apply for at least one passport whilst they are still under sixteen. Making a first time British passport application as an adult who was born overseas tends to make passport examiners suspicious.
Old Oct 19th 2016, 6:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis

It's a good idea to apply for at least one passport whilst they are still under sixteen. Making a first time British passport application as an adult who was born overseas tends to make passport examiners suspicious.
It also gives your child free health care in certain countries such as New Zealand. With just a US passport this is not an option. Also in times of crisis it's better to have more options than fewer.

Just watch the Michael Bourdain episode when he was stuck in Beirut. The French had already evacuated EU citizens.
Old Oct 19th 2016, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
It takes some time for the record of British citizenship to be recorded at the GRO - usually sometime during the calendar year following the calendar year of registration. So for 2016 registrations, the GRO certificate can usually be ordered sometime during 2017.

Meanwhile, a much more expensive (£65) birth registration certificate can be ordered at the time of registration. Looks like this is still called a "consular birth registration certificate" even though foreign births are no longer registered with British consulates/embassies - they are now handled in the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth

Service (Fee)
Register a birth (£105)
Copy of a birth registration certificate (£65)

You must also pay for your documents to be returned to you.

Postage destination (Fee)
UK address or British Forces Post Office (£5.50)
Europe (excluding Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia, Liechtenstein, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Russia, Serbia, Turkey and Ukraine) (£14.50)
Rest of world (£25)
I've read through the thread a few times and can't answer my own question. Whats the difference between the form from the GRO for a tenner, and registering the birth and getting birth certificates for nearly 200quid?
Old Oct 20th 2016, 5:08 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC
I've read through the thread a few times and can't answer my own question. Whats the difference between the form from the GRO for a tenner, and registering the birth and getting birth certificates for nearly 200quid?
The registration fee (now £150) needs to be paid regardless. The price difference is between ordering a copy of the consular birth certificate from the FCO at the time of registration for £50 or waiting until after the following September and ordering a copy from the GDP for their standard fee of £9.25.
Old Oct 20th 2016, 5:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
The registration fee (now £150) needs to be paid regardless. The price difference is between ordering a copy of the consular birth certificate from the FCO at the time of registration for £50 or waiting until after the following September and ordering a copy from the GDP for their standard fee of £9.25.
My daughter born overseas and received her British passport at birth, though I don't recall any document saying her birth was registered. Her mother not British. I was born in UK, and my mother British. When my daughter has children, would they automatically also be British citizens ? Would she have received a British passport from the consulate without a birth registration at the consulate ?
Old Oct 20th 2016, 12:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
My daughter born overseas and received her British passport at birth, though I don't recall any document saying her birth was registered. Her mother not British. I was born in UK, and my mother British. When my daughter has children, would they automatically also be British citizens? ....
No, your daughter is British by descent and cannot pass on citizenship unless she lives in the UK for a continuous period of three years (short trips overseas are permitted) before a child is born.
.... Would she have received a British passport from the consulate without a birth registration at the consulate ?
Yes, registration of the birth is not necessary to get a passport. And BTW registration of the birth at the consulate has no bearing on whether she can pass on citizenship.
Old Oct 20th 2016, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC
You have to register the foreign birth first (now £150) - you can't just go straight to the GRO because the GRO won't have any information on the birth. Optionally, you can also order a consular birth cert (now £50) at the same time you submit the registration. However, you can just register without ordering the consular birth cert.

Some time after you have registered, the GRO will be updated with the registration info (when registration was done outside the UK, this was the September in the calendar year following the calendar year of registration). After that happens, you can order a much cheaper GRO birth cert (now £9.25).

Last edited by MarylandNed; Oct 20th 2016 at 4:38 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2016, 4:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Once you’ve registered locally you may also be able to register the birth with the UK authorities. You can only do this if the child was born on or after 1 January 1983.

What is the significance of January 1983?
Old Oct 20th 2016, 4:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The document you obtain is not a UK birth certificate and should not be used as such. It does not replace the locally issued birth certificate which you would obtain when in the UK. Now this is very important about the registration process – The consular birth registration does not confer British nationality and is not required to register your child as a British citizen or needed before you can apply for a British passport for the child. The reason for this is that British nationality is normally passed from a parent to the child and your child(ren) must have an automatic claim to British nationality at birth in order to make a registration.

British Born Abroad | British Consulate

Before continuing with your application, you should be aware that under the nationality laws of some countries a person will automatically lose their nationality if they become a citizen of another country.

It is important to know that someone who is a British citizen by descent cannot “upgrade” their citizenship by applying to be registered or naturalised as a British citizen otherwise than by descent.

Last edited by mrken30; Oct 20th 2016 at 4:42 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2016, 4:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
.... What is the significance of January 1983?
It's the date specified in the legislation as the date on which the change in the law went into effect.
Old Oct 20th 2016, 8:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
No, your daughter is British by descent and cannot pass on citizenship unless she lives in the UK for a continuous period of three years (short trips overseas are permitted) before a child is born.
Yes, registration of the birth is not necessary to get a passport. And BTW registration of the birth at the consulate has no bearing on whether she can pass on citizenship.
Thank you for that information.

A further question- is that 3 year requirement before she is 18, or at any age ? We are planning for her to attend university in the UK so she will spend 3 to 4 years in UK at that time.

Thanks for information about registration. We had an issue with her US passport as we didn't register her birth at consulate. When came time for her to apply for US passport, initially immigration kept insisting she get a Certificate of Naturalization, I said no she is a citizen at birth, so we had to get a Certificate of Citizenship and had to get lawyer involved. British consulate was great, my wife went in with letter from me, copy of my British passport and birth certificate, my daughter's birth certificate, and she had passport in 2 days.
Old Oct 20th 2016, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for information about registration. We had an issue with her US passport as we didn't register her birth at consulate. When came time for her to apply for US passport, initially immigration kept insisting she get a Certificate of Naturalization, I said no she is a citizen at birth, so we had to get a Certificate of Citizenship and had to get lawyer involved. British consulate was great, my wife went in with letter from me, copy of my British passport and birth certificate, my daughter's birth certificate, and she had passport in 2 days.
Where was your daughter born?
Old Oct 20th 2016, 9:31 pm

Once you’ve registered locally you may also be able to register the birth with the UK authorities. You can only do this if the child was born on or after 1 January 1983.

What is the significance of January 1983?
The commencement of the British Nationality Act 1981, the current Act of Parliament which legislates for British nationality. This cutoff date is relatively recent, presumably because the FCO has gotten cheap and doesn't want to train up its nationality examiners to the previous high standard.

The document you obtain is not a UK birth certificate and should not be used as such. It does not replace the locally issued birth certificate which you would obtain when in the UK. Now this is very important about the registration process – The consular birth registration does not confer British nationality and is not required to register your child as a British citizen or needed before you can apply for a British passport for the child. The reason for this is that British nationality is normally passed from a parent to the child and your child(ren) must have an automatic claim to British nationality at birth in order to make a registration.

British Born Abroad | British Consulate

Before continuing with your application, you should be aware that under the nationality laws of some countries a person will automatically lose their nationality if they become a citizen of another country.

It is important to know that someone who is a British citizen by descent cannot “upgrade” their citizenship by applying to be registered or naturalised as a British citizen otherwise than by descent.
All correct although I would caution against using unofficial sources like this particularly when it comes to a matter as complex as British nationality law.

Thank you for that information.

A further question- is that 3 year requirement before she is 18, or at any age ? We are planning for her to attend university in the UK so she will spend 3 to 4 years in UK at that time.
At any age before her own children are born outside the UK. If she spends consecutive three years in the UK for university then that would normally suffice but be wary that the academic year starts in September but finishes in June. She would need to stay on until she has completed the full three years. If she leaves shortly after her finals then the clock stops and it doesn't count. She'll need to stay for the summer (with documentary evidence) or resolve to marry a British-born spouse or have her children in the UK.

Was your daughter not born in the US or the UK then? If she was born outside the US then you would need to apply for her Consular Report of Birth Abroad via the local US Embassy before you could apply for her US passport. There is no such requirement for a British passport.
Old Oct 20th 2016, 10:12 pm

.... A further question- is that 3 year requirement before she is 18, or at any age ? We are planning for her to attend university in the UK so she will spend 3 to 4 years in UK at that time. ....
BiP has already answered this, but she should count the days very carefully as there is a strict limit to the number of days during the three year period that she can be out of the UK (IIRC it's 90 days, maybe BiP has the number at his fingertips?) so I would recommend that she keep a detailed diary of her time and travels, supported by a scrapbook of travel tickets and evidence of time she was IN the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.