Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving

Old Nov 23rd 2016, 6:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thanksgiving

Originally Posted by Orangepants
Same as me - not into the food at all but love the tradition of giving thanks and of course a couple of days holiday. We were supposed to be meeting Sue and Paul at Seasons 52 in Orlando for dinner but unfortunately my sweet boxer dog has just had surgery so I'm home alone, well not alone, have 3 dogs for company and a bottle of wine. Happy Thanksgiving.
That would have been nice...but 3 dogs for company is not a bad second best. It doesn't look like we will be able to make Florida this winter. Hopefully catch up another time.

Happy Thanksgiving backatcha.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 8:00 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Unfortunate but it is what it is. Been like it since we got back they just carry on spending Christmas and Thanksgiving with her parents.

I tell Mrs L not to worry about it, it is the price she has to pay for marrying me and running off to England and leaving them to fend for themselves. (they were in their early 20s at the time).

Sorry that they are so ill mannered, Lansbury. No reason that I can see that they can't include you and son mom in the festivities. What are two more people at the table?
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 8:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot that Sue and Paul were in Orlando. I will be there in March and have a free day from the grandkids. Will have to drop a note and see if we can meet up for lunch that day.

I prefer turkey to chicken any day and substitute turkey ground meat for beef or turkey cutlets for chicken all the time. I'm making three extra turkey legs tomorrow and freezing two for future use as hubby loves them. I'm the thigh and breast fan of the house. I look forward to my favorite sandwich for the days after Thursday, turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce and mayo between slices of home baked bread.

Last edited by Rete; Nov 23rd 2016 at 8:08 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 8:59 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Sorry that they are so ill mannered, Lansbury. No reason that I can see that they can't include you and son mom in the festivities. What are two more people at the table?
Thanks Rete, and to JG for the karma comment. The dynamics in families are a strange thing.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 11:10 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I wanted to join in with my particular tricky situation but for all sorts of reasons I can't. Let's just hope that my patience doesn't come to an end, that I don't murder someone and that my friends that are coming will bring lots of wine. Wish me luck....
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 11:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Well, I wanted to join in with my particular tricky situation but for all sorts of reasons I can't. Let's just hope that my patience doesn't come to an end, that I don't murder someone and that my friends that are coming will bring lots of wine. Wish me luck....
Sounds complicated. I don't like complicated.
Old Nov 24th 2016, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

My first thanksgiving off. They also give me Black Friday off, so a nice little extended break. Apart from the football though, I have to say I think thanksgiving is a load of bollocks. I'd probably feel differently if I grew up with it I guess. The amount of food my family will put on tomorrow though, is frankly obscene!
Old Nov 24th 2016, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
My first thanksgiving off. They also give me Black Friday off, so a nice little extended break. Apart from the football though, I have to say I think thanksgiving is a load of bollocks. I'd probably feel differently if I grew up with it I guess. The amount of food my family will put on tomorrow though, is frankly obscene!
I never celebrated Thanksgiving the first few years I lived here (I've been here 26 years now) but then I thought "when in Rome, etc". Now that my children (born in the UK and naturalized Americans) are married and I have four American grand-children, I really love the holiday and look forward to it each year. I can do without the whole Black Friday thing though (I guess that is a whole other thread)!
Old Nov 24th 2016, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

My wife went to her night shift and left me to make the Mac n Cheese. God knows if it's good, I hate the stuff.
Old Nov 24th 2016, 2:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Happy Thanksgiving guys. We had ours today, I made Cornish Pasties and chips

Tomorrow we are joining my daughter and son in law at his families Colombian family get together. It will be a mixture of traditional Thanksgiving with a lot of other interesting dishes.

I love this holiday for the fact it can be just a lazy time, no hassle with presents or spending a lot of money plus I have been off work today as well so five days off is a real treat.

We will avoid the shops and just spend chilling out with the grandbaby
Old Nov 24th 2016, 4:32 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

HHmm.

November feastifying in the manner of care, share .

I suggest we all convene in Florida and fetch up to Sue and Paul next year.
Old Nov 24th 2016, 5:15 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

I think this will only be the 2nd Thanksgiving in 12 years where I've actually cooked the meal - every other year, we've spent it with friends or family or both. Just the 4 of us plus my mother in law this year.

Turkey, green bean casserole, mash (mash goes with EVERYTHING!), creamed corn, cornbread, roasted root veg. Pumpkin cheesecake and pecan pie to finish.

I daresay there will be some football, some board games, some wine and some cheer. I like Thanksgiving - it's Christmas without the stress

Rete, I do hope you feel much better soon and it doesn't spoil your Thanksgiving.
Old Nov 24th 2016, 6:16 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Good luck, and if you need more wine I have plenty I can send.
Old Nov 24th 2016, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Happy Thanksgiving guys. We had ours today, I made Cornish Pasties and chips

Tomorrow we are joining my daughter and son in law at his families Colombian family get together. It will be a mixture of traditional Thanksgiving with a lot of other interesting dishes.

I love this holiday for the fact it can be just a lazy time, no hassle with presents or spending a lot of money plus I have been off work today as well so five days off is a real treat.

We will avoid the shops and just spend chilling out with the grandbaby:nod:
Is that her photo on your avatar? She is adorable
Old Nov 24th 2016, 1:49 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Rete, I do hope you feel much better soon and it doesn't spoil your Thanksgiving.
I'm better and the turkey is in the oven roasting and the house is smelling good.

Hubby will not be doing Thanksgiving with us, unfortunately. He was bite by a tick a few weeks back and didn't go to the doctor right away. He has just completed one course of strong antibiotics but is still in terrible pain with his muscles and now has my cold on top of it. Spent the night with the trash can, as I did three days ago, and not up to going and spreading the germs to the grandkiddies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.