Reload this Page >

Teaching in the US

Teaching in the US

Old Mar 17th 2011, 5:00 am
Just Joined

Lupine Lacuna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching in the US

Has anyone gone over there to do this?

As I intend to settle there I saw little point in doing a PGCE over here as it does not appear transferable.

However, when looking at the certified teaching programs, they require me to have done all sorts of odd little irreleevant subjects at uni, like maths, psyhchology, etc as mini modules.

This seems incredibly frustrating as I have a first first in and politics from a Russell Group uni and feel like I know my subject well. How has anyone navigated this issue?

Your help much appreciated
Old Mar 17th 2011, 6:07 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in the US

Originally Posted by Lupine Lacuna
Has anyone gone over there to do this?

As I intend to settle there I saw little point in doing a PGCE over here as it does not appear transferable.

However, when looking at the certified teaching programs, they require me to have done all sorts of odd little irreleevant subjects at uni, like maths, psyhchology, etc as mini modules.

This seems incredibly frustrating as I have a first first in and politics from a Russell Group uni and feel like I know my subject well. How has anyone navigated this issue?

Your help much appreciated
There are a lot of issues here and it's not going to prove at all simple. In essence, the PGCE is transferable BUT it's a major headache. Each state has their own set of requirements - check the state you are interested in on this list: http://education.uky.edu/AcadServ/co...n-requirements. I'm pretty sure that the one thing they all have in common is that you need to have transcripts from both undergraduate and PGCE universities evaluated by an agency. You will probably need to take a subject knowledge test. There will be other hoops to jump through. In short, it's do-able but it's a pain in the rear end, especially since you're not as yet a qualified teacher.

You could get a PGCE in the UK, but then it's highly unlikely that any US school is going to sponsor you for an H1b visa (assuming this is the visa route you intend to take into the US) without at least completion of your NQT year and probably a couple more years of experience beyond that. You're talking about a minimum of 4 years before you can think about moving over.

Another alternative would be to apply for a student visa to begin with and get a masters in education from a US university. It would certainly open more doors for you, if you're sure that your ultimate goal is to live and work in the US. The downside, of course, would be the cost.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 6:32 am
Just Joined

I should have said that a Visa will be no problem as my wife is a US citizen. I'm encouraged that the PGCE is in principle transferable, as I don't want to go down the US masters route for the reasons above. Have you heard of that before? Seems odd to me that I'd have to do some additional subjects before meeting the entry requirements.

I have not yet done the PGCE and won't be embarking on it until Sep 2012 (as no spaces this year), so will carry on in my current job I think for now.

Thanks for the link to the website, I found that before but could not find any information on transferability of licence relating to Colorado, the website is terrible! Fortunately Utah is better....which can keep me going for now

Last edited by Lupine Lacuna; Mar 17th 2011 at 6:35 am.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 11:38 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want to go down the US masters route...
Do you want a full-time, long-term career in teaching? If so, you'll need a Master's degree. You'll also need to take and pass PRAXIS. As with most professions in the US, certification for teaching is set by the state, so even if you're qualified to teach in Utah, you may need to requalify in Colorado.

Ian
Old Mar 17th 2011, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Ian

Yes the intention is to be full term and long time. Why however would I need to do a masters if - despite the challeneges in the short term - a PGCE is transferable?

I am in principle happy to do a masters but cannot believe that my first post is true, ie, I have to do those stupid modules first, which effectively means wasting a year (or more) doing them. Surely I can just go in and do it can't I?
Old Mar 17th 2011, 2:52 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a professional teacher but I'd have thought that a solid understanding of things like math and psychology would actually be quite important in the teaching field, regardless of the subject being taught.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

I agree, but I don't need to actually take exams (and therefore time and money) to be proficient.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 3:49 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

You also never know when you're going to find yourself teaching outside your subject.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 3:54 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, but I don't need to actually take exams (and therefore time and money) to be proficient.
As with so many things, you have to take the exams to evidence your proficiency.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

Then let me take the exam without any stupid teaching!

I should have made the alternative argument that the requirement is absurd, especially as it is likely the educational standards are better here in the UK without them
Old Mar 17th 2011, 4:35 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I should have made the alternative argument that the requirement is absurd, especially as it is likely the educational standards are better here in the UK without them
Yes, I'm sure that would help you a lot.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

I suppose the answer could be to teach in a private school
Old Mar 17th 2011, 6:20 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose the answer could be to teach in a private school
The state, not the school, sets the rules for certification.

Ian
Old Mar 17th 2011, 6:26 pm
Account Closed

I have to do those stupid modules first, which effectively means wasting a year (or more) doing them. Surely I can just go in and do it can't I?
If you'll forgive the play on words, your attitude seems most parochial. One must jump through the hoops because that is what is required. Why a Master's? Because you'll be competing for positions with teachers who have a Master's... and whether or not your PGCE is transferable, it'll likely mean nothing to a hiring committee. Don't confuse being employable with being hired! The US is insular... all else being equal between two candidates, they'll stick with what they know.

Ian
Old Mar 17th 2011, 6:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Ian

Yes the intention is to be full term and long time. Why however would I need to do a masters if - despite the challeneges in the short term - a PGCE is transferable?

I am in principle happy to do a masters but cannot believe that my first post is true, ie, I have to do those stupid modules first, which effectively means wasting a year (or more) doing them. Surely I can just go in and do it can't I?
I'm a native USC (OH is UKC). Pretty much every state requires a masters to teach. Very few do not. Usually a teacher would do their undergraduate degree in the field they want to teach (i.e. math), then do a Masters in Education. Keep in mind that an US undergrad degree curriculum is different to UK curriculum. A US BS requires many general education requirements that include arts and humanities classes, which typically include basic sociology and psychology. The Masters of Education includes quite a few of the 'psychology of teaching' type courses from what I understand.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Mar 17th 2011 at 7:01 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.