Teaching UK to USA?

Teaching UK to USA?

Old Dec 14th 2017, 6:38 am
Just Joined

Vglads is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teaching UK to USA?

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Foreign Credential Evaluation
If you trained as a teacher outside the United States or its territories, you may be eligible for a license to teach in Minnesota. Because of significant differences among nations in training and licensure requirements, you will need to submit the following material to a professional evaluation service that has been authorized by the Minnesota Board of Teaching
Thank you for this.
Old Dec 14th 2017, 6:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
A private or international school would be your best bet. But with such a narrow focus area you are limiting your chances considerably. Public schools (like the U.K. state schools) are unlikely to be in a position to pay the tens of thousands needed in legal fees to bring a teacher from another country. And can you imagine how the taxpayers would react to that when there isn't even enough money for books in many schools? Which subject would it be? Whilst maths and French are the same the world over, the same isn't true for history and geography, for example, which would be taught from an American perspective here. My husband could tell you all about the American civil war, but mention the Tudors and Stuarts and he hasn't a clue.
I am aware I’m limiting myself currently. It’s more just to be aware of if there is any chance of me retaining my current job in any capacity. I teach English, so fair transferable and I did two American English modules at university, so have some knowledge.

It’s more about seeing what I can do really. My OH has been provisionally offered the job but fly’s out next week to meet the team and sign the contract, as long as he likes it.

Just trying to see my options. Which from this thread look slim to none! Ha.
Old Dec 14th 2017, 9:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vglads
My OH has been provisionally offered the job but fly’s out next week to meet the team and sign the contract, as long as he likes it.
Key question, as you may have guessed from the above, is which visa they will be getting for him - the rest will follow from that, but without that info it's hard for our lovely forum pros to help you work out options. So once you know what visa he'll be on, do let everybody know and they can help you further.

Best of luck.
Old Dec 14th 2017, 1:53 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I teach English, so fair transferable and I did two American English modules at university, so have some knowledge.

It’s more about seeing what I can do really. My OH has been provisionally offered the job but fly’s out next week to meet the team and sign the contract, as long as he likes it.
Old Dec 14th 2017, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
When functioning on very little sleep and you type to quickly makes you look like an idiot! 😔😔
Old Dec 15th 2017, 8:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

When functioning on very little sleep and you type to quickly makes you look like an idiot!
I think you might need to give yourself a detention.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Dec 15th 2017 at 8:29 am.
Old Dec 15th 2017, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

On your own - zero.

On a derivative visa that allows you to work - it will involve a lot of paperwork, some exams, maybe a few extra university courses and possibly an extra practicum.

Then of course there is the matter of finding a job once your visa and licence are sorted. About 5-10 years ago teaching was seriously oversubscribed after decades of being undersubscribed (in several though not all learning areas). I think things have started to even out again though, but don't know what the Minneapolis/St Paul market is like.

Once you get on the market after the visa and licence are sorted, nobody will care if you are UK trained.

There are numerous threads on this topic.
Old Dec 15th 2017, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Well I love correcting Muricans on their own History over a pint or two at the local brew pub.

Not sure why we are assuming OP has no knowledge of US History.

I do agree otherwise and congratulate on the upcoming nuptials.
Where did this social media trend of ridiculing Americans on their accent by calling it "Murica" and "Muricans" start? I spent 25 years there and most of my growing-up years there, and I can't remember ever hearing them use a silent "A" for America, nor a "u" sound in there either (in fact the "e" sound can be quite long and drawn-out). That includes several years in the Deep South listening to Southern accents. Much less them referring to the country as "America." Almost all of the Americans I know call it, the US or United States and leave out the "America" bit (though "American" is universal). Maybe drunk Brits call it "Murica."
Old Dec 15th 2017, 1:23 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Where did this social media trend of ridiculing Americans on their accent by calling it "Murica" and "Muricans" start? I spent 25 years there and most of my growing-up years there, and I can't remember ever hearing them use a silent "A" for America, nor a "u" sound in there either (in fact the "e" sound can be quite long and drawn-out). That includes several years in the Deep South listening to Southern accents. Much less them referring to the country as "America." Almost all of the Americans I know call it, the US or United States and leave out the "America" bit (though "American" is universal). Maybe drunk Brits call it "Murica."
I hear it most from Americans who are critical about their right wing fellow Americans. I believe the origin is from " Team America World Police"An American movie, but not sure.

Last edited by kimilseung; Dec 15th 2017 at 1:26 pm.
Old Dec 15th 2017, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I hear it most from Americans who are critical about their right wing fellow Americans. I believe the origin is from " Team America World Police"An American movie.
Understood - thanks for that.