Reload this Page >

Tax question , money into U.S

Tax question , money into U.S

Old Aug 27th 2014, 1:55 am
Just Joined

spowell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax question , money into U.S

Guys,

I have been given by my parents in the UK a sum of money that i want to send to my BOA account here in Texas. My question is, am I liable to pay any tax on that money if I wire it to my BOA account .
If there is any official documentation anywhere I would love to be able to find it. I would hate to pay tax on money that was never in the U.S in the 1st place

thanks
Old Aug 27th 2014, 2:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax question , money into U.S

Originally Posted by spowell
Guys,

I have been given by my parents in the UK a sum of money that i want to send to my BOA account here in Texas. My question is, am I liable to pay any tax on that money if I wire it to my BOA account .
If there is any official documentation anywhere I would love to be able to find it. I would hate to pay tax on money that was never in the U.S in the 1st place

thanks
There isn't a US gift tax on gifts received only on gifts given. Since I assume that you parents are UK citizens and are the givers of the gift, then there wouldn't be any US tax burden on them

However even if they were US citizens, there is an annual exclusion of $14,000 per year per person and any excess can be applied to the $5.34 million lifetime exclusion.

What is the Gift Tax and Who Pays It? - Wills & Estates

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gift_tax_in_the_United_States
Old Aug 27th 2014, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

colin_w is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: Tax question , money into U.S

As I understand it, gift tax (if any) falls on the giver. The recipient doesn't owe tax.

If the giver is in the UK, and lives for seven years after the gift is given, the tax is zero. However, if the giver dies sooner, HMRC considers all or part to be an inheritance and their estate might have to pay inheritance tax:

HM Revenue & Customs: Inheritance Tax

If the giver dies within 3 years, 100% is taxable. 3 to 7 years is prorated.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget if the number is big enough to report the money on the 2014 FBAR and Form 8938.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 1:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spowell
I have been given by my parents in the UK a sum of money that i want to send to my BOA account here in Texas. My question is, am I liable to pay any tax on that money if I wire it to my BOA account. ....
In addition to the advice given above, there is no tax due on money transferred into the US, ever.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 9:44 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cook_County
Don't forget if the number is big enough to report the money on the 2014 FBAR and Form 8938.
You would only need to file those forms if you owned or had signature authority over foreign accounts above certain thresholds. If the gift was over $100k you would file 3520