Reload this Page >

Tax help for dual citizen

Tax help for dual citizen

Old Apr 3rd 2018, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Corrine82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax help for dual citizen

Hello I am in process of moving to USA with my family I-130 filed

I have not lived in US since I was a small child left age 3 so was never given a SS number so never had to file a tax return.

I have a US passport and I am due to go to London and apply for my SS number end of month ready for move later this year and I have read that I need to file 3 years tax returns in the US I haven't got a clue where to start with this ?

I am employed here so all UK income will I need to pay any tax ?

I lost my mother May last year and got a large amount of inheritance from her pension and property will I get taxed in US on that ?

I will use the inheritance in savings to use as Affidavit of support for my husband and 2 children and that will also help us buy property and set up when arrive while getting new jobs

Any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 4:32 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax help for dual citizen

The fact you did not have a social security number did not excuse US tax liabilities.

The I-864 affidavit of support required for your spouse requires a copy of your last tax return and information off the last three. Note that your biological children will be to claim exemption from the I-864 due to their instant naturalization upon landing. If you have any stepchildren, they will require an I-864.

The Federal tax law applies to "estates," not to inheritances. Individual States often impose taxes on the inheritance. For example, my mother-in-law moved from California to New Jersey for the last three years of her life. Had she remained in California, only Federal Estate tax rules would have applied. However, her heirs had to pay NJ taxes on their inheritance.

Last edited by S Folinsky; Apr 3rd 2018 at 4:35 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 5:47 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

For help, go to www.irs.gov.

Rene
Old Apr 4th 2018, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

Most folks in your circumstances would use the IRS streamlined procedures to catch up.