Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tampa/clearwater area

Tampa/clearwater area

Old Jun 18th 2015, 7:52 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tampa/clearwater area

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I love Clearwater Beach...but the problem with Clearwater is it's the HQ of Scientology.
Oddly, where I work, there are a lot of Jehovah's Witnesses, but they do not do anything to stand out. I only found out by accident.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

indigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Dunedin....hubby works in clearwater. Of all the places I have lived in the states I find this to be the most kid friendly. Tons of parks and activities and a lovely outdoors lifestyle. The winters are the best :-) We are very happy here. I was homesick when I arrived but not at all now.

Safety Harbor is one of the nicest towns in the area. We go there fairly regularly as they have a great little downtown. We get ice cream there and walk the pier some weekends. It is well placed for getting to Tampa and pretty much has everything you need in terms of grocery stores, libraries, nice parks and city facilities. The city do really nice events and it has a nice community spirit.

Our eldest is starting kindergarten in august and I just finished a rather exhaustive tour of all the schools in the area. Palm harbor is said to have the best school district. Dunedin the worst lol. Clearwater is dependent on which school zone you are in. Safety harbor is good but said not to be as good as Palm harbor. The thing in this area and which are the absolute bain of most parents existence are charter schools. Charter schools are public schools in that they are free to attend and publically funded but they are smaller and can pretty much run themselves so they typically are much better than the public schools. Most run a lottery to see who gets in. if you are on Facebook look up the Dunedin moms meetup group (I'm the admin). We have tons of mums from safety harbor and all the other towns around and you can ask specific questions about the area....or just ask me directly here. You said you had already looked into the schools but if you need more info I'd be happy to help.

Last edited by indigogirl1976; Jun 22nd 2015 at 1:41 am.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

stockhall is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by indigogirl1976
I live in Dunedin....hubby works in clearwater. Of all the places I have lived in the states I find this to be the most kid friendly. Tons of parks and activities and a lovely outdoors lifestyle. The winters are the best :-) We are very happy here. I was homesick when I arrived but not at all now.

Safety Harbor is one of the nicest towns in the area. We go there fairly regularly as they have a great little downtown. We get ice cream there and walk the pier some weekends. It is well placed for getting to Tampa and pretty much has everything you need in terms of grocery stores, libraries, nice parks and city facilities. The city do really nice events and it has a nice community spirit.

Our eldest is starting kindergarten in august and I just finished a rather exhaustive tour of all the schools in the area. Palm harbor is said to have the best school district. Dunedin the worst lol. Clearwater is dependent on which school zone you are in. Safety harbor is good but said not to be as good as Palm harbor. The thing in this area and which are the absolute bain of most parents existence are charter schools. Charter schools are public schools in that they are free to attend and publically funded but they are smaller and can pretty much run themselves so they typically are much better than the public schools. Most run a lottery to see who gets in. if you are on Facebook look up the Dunedin moms meetup group (I'm the admin). We have tons of mums from safety harbor and all the other towns around and you can ask specific questions about the area....or just ask me directly here. You said you had already looked into the schools but if you need more info I'd be happy to help.
Thank you so much for this reply. Very helpul.

I am very keen on safety harbor elementary as their SEN Provision seems very comprehensive and that is what i need for my 8 year old with GDD. I need the same for my 11 year old but no info the middle school. Countryside seems to be on the ball as well when it comes to speech therapy which my daughter needs acess too. So yes based on what I have read and the few images i have seen these seem to be the schools I want so the area I need. I will look up the fb group thank you.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

stockhall is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by indigogirl1976

I have requested to join. x