Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Take or replace? ...Another shipping stuff over question

Take or replace? ...Another shipping stuff over question

Old Oct 3rd 2015, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

nienta2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Take or replace? ...Another shipping stuff over question

Hello! I'm moving to the US and will be moving in with my parents. I won't be taking any furniture or bulky items, and was planning on selling pretty much everything and just bringing sentimental stuff that I can't replace (including a few larger sculptures so I won't be able to just use suitcases).

As I've been reading I've noticed that a lot of people posting are taking things like books, TVs and gaming consoles. Is it worth taking those kind of items or would it be better to sell them cheap here and then replace them once in the US?
I'm wondering if it makes more sense to take things like that when you are taking a whole house worth's of stuff; or if it's not an expensive as I assumed and I just reconsider how much of my stuff I should ditch!

Thanks for your help! This is all pretty overwhelming
Lindsay
Old Oct 3rd 2015, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Take or replace? ...Another shipping stuff over question

Books are generally heavy when you get a few together, so for weight purposes, unless they count as sentimental, I would leave them behind.

As for electronics, sell and replace is the order of the day. 55" UHD TVs can be bought for not much over $500 and the XBox One or PS4 are $400 or less each, so it's of little use to bring them and deal with the voltage issues and potential fire risks that brings.
Old Oct 3rd 2015, 3:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

If you're down to just a few packing boxes of stuff, I would include books as "sentimental" (that may just be me), and games and game consoles are pretty small (I am not a gamer, but from what I have read, games and game consoles seem to be among the things that are easiest to use if you bring them from the UK to the US), so personally I wouldn't torture myself over ditching much more stuff.
Old Oct 3rd 2015, 6:27 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

We brought loads of books. Sent the long way (sea) the cost is minimal as the charges are by volume not weight and you can fit a whole load of books into a cubic foot.

Which summed up our approach. For many items it was better to sell and re-buy (when cost of buying - sale price < cost of shipping). However for many items it worked the other way around.

If you are shipping by air...same approach can be used but calculation is most likely on weight not volume and the equation for books changes dramatically.
Old Oct 3rd 2015, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celticgrid
We brought loads of books. Sent the long way (sea) the cost is minimal as the charges are by volume not weight and you can fit a whole load of books into a cubic foot..
We reckon we had around 1.5 tons of books in our container.
Old Oct 3rd 2015, 10:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
We reckon we had around 1.5 tons of books in our container.
I brought over 700 CDs and 500 vinyl albums, mostly heavy rock, .... and felt like it.
Old Oct 4th 2015, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Books are much more expensive here than in the UK. I left all my books behind and now mainly use the kindle for reading but I really miss having books around the house.
Old Oct 4th 2015, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

AMZJ has a reputation beyond reputeAMZJ has a reputation beyond reputeAMZJ has a reputation beyond reputeAMZJ has a reputation beyond reputeAMZJ has a reputation beyond reputeAMZJ has a reputation beyond reputeAMZJ has a reputation beyond reputeAMZJ has a reputation beyond reputeAMZJ has a reputation beyond reputeAMZJ has a reputation beyond reputeAMZJ has a reputation beyond repute

We have 2 trips between us planned inbetween now and when I am meant to move. I have sentimental things, books (which are also sentimental), some dvds and computer games which I want to take. I also have to take documents to do with my daughters school. So far I have 4 suitecases going with me on my next trip. My SO will take a suitecase back with him when he visits next year and then I'll take my full baggage allowance and probably pay for an extra bag when I go. Anything else that doesn't need to go is being donated, given to family or sold. I won't be keeping any electricals apart from my laptop (which originally came from the US) and my ps3 which just needs a US PC cable to run on local voltage. We are trying to keep it to trips because I will be moving on a budget. I wanted to take a trip in April, but we have to save for visa fees, living expenses and other expenses that we are going to have next year (wedding etc). So I think another trip there after Christmas is unlikely. If you have any family here that would hold onto things you could take with you when you visit? My aunt has said she'll hold onto some things for me and so has my mum. It'll be a few years before I can come back to visit (probably 2-4 years) So I don't want to leave behind anything I'll miss.
Old Oct 4th 2015, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by sherbert
Books are much more expensive here than in the UK. ......
I don't agree with that. Most non-fiction paperbacks in the US are $12-$25 (£8-£12), and hardbacks are typically $18-$35 (£9-£17), which seems comparable to, if not slightly less than in the UK. I can't recall the last time I bought a fiction book.

Also Barnes and Noble, the only remaining major US book retailer, runs a loyalty card that for $25/year cuts 10% off everything we buy, and sends us monthly discount deals that typically cut an additional 10-15% off any book of our choosing.
Old Oct 4th 2015, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I don't agree with that. Most non-fiction paperbacks in the US are $12-$25 (£8-£12), and hardbacks are typically $18-$35 (£9-£17), which seems comparable to, if not slightly less than in the UK.
<br />
<br />
I agree. When we used to visit here, most of our returning luggage was books.
Old Oct 17th 2015, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

labcm is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't bring any electricals (except phone charger and plug adapter) everything is reasonably priced here. Remember when you get here you will not have a credit history so bring essential furniture there are many estate/ yard/garage sales. Everything goes for a song.