Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The Switch...

The Switch...

Old Sep 10th 2015, 11:02 am
Just Joined

Orbis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The Switch...

So, here is the scene. Green card, just about $1m in cash. (sold the house - also called The Escape Plan...!)

Family of 5 - kids 4,6,9. Best family town? Not too big. Four distinct seasons, low crime, good schools. I would like a low tax state, opportunities for hunting, outdoors, hiking, camping. Beach would be nice. Would like to avoid states with vicious weather extremes. Don't mind if the state is red or blue. Not redneck country. Some culture, music, jazz clubs.

Space and room to breathe are very high on the list, but not remote. Rural yes, remote no!

Am a teacher but am not fussed about working straight away. Might do something different. Wife is an architect.

Many thanks folks! Love to hear your suggestions...
Old Sep 10th 2015, 12:57 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Switch...

Unless you or your spouse in a USC, look at investment-based visas.

Or perhaps your wife could get a job with an architectural firm that has offices in the USA and then a year later ask for a transfer (L visa).

Search for the article in our Wiki Guide called Pulaski's Ways.

Rene
Old Sep 10th 2015, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Unless you or your spouse in a USC, look at investment-based visas.

Or perhaps your wife could get a job with an architectural firm that has offices in the USA and then a year later ask for a transfer (L visa).

Search for the article in our Wiki Guide called Pulaski's Ways.

Rene
Visa is not the issue - have visa, have cash... only wanted some advice about where to go for the best of all worlds!
Old Sep 10th 2015, 1:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Orbis
Visa is not the issue - have visa, have cash... only wanted some advice about where to go for the best of all worlds!
Welcome to BE.

Green Card Lottery perhaps?
Old Sep 10th 2015, 1:19 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I thought the mention of "green card" in your post meant you were trying to get one, and would need help with what visa could lead you to it.

So you've all got visas in hand. I assume immigrant visas?

Try Colorado, seems to fit what you're looking for.

Rene
Old Sep 10th 2015, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Oh, I thought the mention of "green card" in your post meant you were trying to get one, and would need help with what visa could lead you to it.

So you've all got visas in hand. I assume immigrant visas?

Try Colorado, seems to fit what you're looking for.

Rene
Thanks - anywhere in particular? I've heard it mentioned that it is indeed a good place to live.

Much appreciated.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 1:27 pm

Thanks - anywhere in particular? I've heard it mentioned that it is indeed a good place to live.

Much appreciated.
I've only visited Colorado (Boulder and Denver), never lived there. Visiting was nice. Anyone I know who is from that state has only good things to say. However, no beach and some places probably have the extreme winter weather.

Rene
Old Sep 10th 2015, 1:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Colorado is full.

First frost last night.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 1:40 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: The Switch...

So, here is the scene. Green card, just about $1m in cash. (sold the house - also called The Escape Plan...!)

Family of 5 - kids 4,6,9. Best family town? Not too big. Four distinct seasons, low crime, good schools. I would like a low tax state, opportunities for hunting, outdoors, hiking, camping. Beach would be nice. Would like to avoid states with vicious weather extremes. Don't mind if the state is red or blue. Not redneck country. Some culture, music, jazz clubs.

Space and room to breathe are very high on the list, but not remote. Rural yes, remote no!

Am a teacher but am not fussed about working straight away. Might do something different. Wife is an architect.

Well - I would have suggested a couple of places, but since you want to go hunting (which I abhor) I'm not going to help you
Old Sep 10th 2015, 1:45 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Well - I would have suggested a couple of places, but since you want to go hunting (which I abhor) I'm not going to help you
Vegan?
Old Sep 10th 2015, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
Colorado is full.

First frost last night.
Full of..?
Old Sep 10th 2015, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Hawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond repute

North Carolina fits your needs pretty close. Raleigh NC is not redneck, due to Research Triangle (IBM/Red Hat etc) closer to the beach than Charlotte. Where we live (Wake Forest) is great town outside of Raleigh, rural yes, remote no.

Other bonus is my house is for sale right now - just right for your family - 5 bed with enormous basement and home theatre for a man cave and semi finished attic for the kids (ok ok, so basement is ALSO for the kids I guess) - you'll have the vast majority of your 1m left!

Last edited by Hawkini; Sep 10th 2015 at 1:58 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 2:01 pm
Account Closed

Second North Carolina, the most recommended place on BE.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
Second North Carolina, the most recommended place on BE.
Is North Carolina very humid in the summer?

Thanks for all the replies thus far!
Old Sep 10th 2015, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

Hawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond repute

Is North Carolina very humid in the summer?

Thanks for all the replies thus far!
The first summer we lived here, I would have said it was extremely humid. Now having lived here multiple summers, it's not that bad. If you aren't used to it, it can be a shock like many, many other things.

As with many other states, you'll find lots of pros and cons. The only place you're going to get everything you want, you'll find everyone else wants to live there, and accordingly pays a high price both living costs and tax and no room to move with tiny plots (like where we lived in CA).

We moved back within 2 years to NC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.