Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Surrendering UK drivers License

Surrendering UK drivers License

Old Jul 27th 2014, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

alexmar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Surrendering UK drivers License

Hi all, did a search and found a few much older threads that didn't answer this question so figured I'd start a new one.

I am planning on getting my NY drivers license, but got scared of this line on the DMV website:

"When you receive your NYS driver license, you must surrender your foreign driver license to the DMV road test examiner. The local DMV office keeps your foreign driver license, and then destroys the license after 60 days. If you plan to return to your home country and use your foreign driver license, ask the road test examiner how to make sure that your foreign driver license is not destroyed. If you need to get your foreign driver license, go to the local DMV office where you applied for your NYS driver license."

Has anyone done this??? I travel back to Europe quite a lot so don't want to have to go and get my license each time from the DMV. Initial thoughts are to not even mention that I have a UK license but will that put me in a different type of test as a 'new driver', and will it affect insurance if I get a car, or any other effects??

Any help would be great.. thank you!!!

Also.. been driving for almost 20 years in England/Greece/Middle East.. do I need to take a few lessons over here to get used to US driving for the test? I've already driven here a lot with rentals, but not sure if I would pass just walking into a road test, are there a lot of intricacies and tips I would need?

Lots of questions I know.. thank you in advance!!!!
Old Jul 27th 2014, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Surrendering UK drivers License

Originally Posted by alexmar
I am planning on getting my NY drivers license, but got scared of this line on the DMV website:

"When you receive your NYS driver license, you must surrender your foreign driver license to the DMV road test examiner. The local DMV office keeps your foreign driver license, and then destroys the license after 60 days. If you plan to return to your home country and use your foreign driver license, ask the road test examiner how to make sure that your foreign driver license is not destroyed. If you need to get your foreign driver license, go to the local DMV office where you applied for your NYS driver license."

Has anyone done this??? I travel back to Europe quite a lot so don't want to have to go and get my license each time from the DMV. Initial thoughts are to not even mention that I have a UK license but will that put me in a different type of test as a 'new driver', and will it affect insurance if I get a car, or any other effects??

Also.. been driving for almost 20 years in England/Greece/Middle East.. do I need to take a few lessons over here to get used to US driving for the test? I've already driven here a lot with rentals, but not sure if I would pass just walking into a road test, are there a lot of intricacies and tips I would need?
Looks like you may be caught in a bit of a "catch-22"

Don't know the best answers to your questions but can say for sure that insurance companies here do base their rates on several considerations - one of which is your years as a licenced driver.

Not disclosing your foreign license would result in your being rated as a new driver - higher rate.

In your position I'd try to find out whether x number of years with a foreign license (as opposed to one from another US state) might also put you, for insurance purposes, into the same new-driver rating category.

I have no idea as to the answer but think it's worth finding out - because if it would....maybe you'd want to consider whether or not to reveal it.
Note: I'm not advising you to do anything illegal. Only raising issues and possibilities I'd consider in your place.

Can't advise about the NY test. (Unlike the UK - there's no "US Driver's Licence"....here it's state by state; rules are different in each).
Old Jul 27th 2014, 5:40 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alexmar

Has anyone done this??? I travel back to Europe quite a lot so don't want to have to go and get my license each time from the DMV.

If you are living in New York and just visiting other countries then what's wrong with using a New York license as a visitor (with International Driving Permit if that other country requires it).

Originally Posted by MMcD
(Unlike the UK - there's no "US Driver's Licence"....here it's state by state; rules are different in each).
There's no "U.K. licence" either. Northern Ireland has its own system.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 6:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I took my US road test in NY, and I deliberately didn't take my UK DL with me, but in any case I wasn't asked for it.

When you travel to the UK, Europe, and other countries you can use your US DL (an Intl Drivers Permit may be required in some countries, esp non English speaking countries, but you don't need one for the UK).

If you have driving experience you are highly unlikely to learn anything useful from US lessons. Do take a look at US road signs as you might be asked about those. In NC you are asked to identify yellow warning signs by their shape alone, so a house shape is a school, a round is a railroad, and a pennant is a no-passing zone. The test is embarrassingly easy, though I had to do a parallel park manoeuvre, which hadn't been in the test when I took my test in the UK. Just be sure to do exactly what the road signs say, abide by the speed limits, stop completely at STOP signs, etc. and when turning left into a four lane road or dual carriageway be sure to turn into the left hand lane (move to the right if necessary/ appropriate after checking for traffic and indicating), which I was criticized for not doing in my test, but not failed for.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 6:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
....There's no "U.K. licence" either. ....
On the contrary, I would argue there are TWO UK DLs, one for Northern Ireland, and one for the rest of the UK.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=JAJ;1134950 There's no "U.K. licence" either. Northern Ireland has its own system.[/QUOTE]

Ah, yes thanks - should have said GB licence
Old Jul 27th 2014, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

alexmar is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you all for your help!!
Old Jul 27th 2014, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

It is my understanding that once you are a PR in the USA you can't use your GB license when you use the UK anyways. Personally I've never had a problem using my DL from over here while visiting the UK.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 7:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I use both. Not sure if it violates any rules.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 7:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

There are three things I swear I will never give up...my UK driving license, my UK passport and my UK bank account.

When I first went for my NJ driving license I had to provide my old pink UK license to obtain it. The DMV wanted to keep it but I refused saying it belonged to the Queen and therefore they had no right to take it from me. The woman sent for the manager...I managed to confuse them so much that they let both of us keep our UK DLs. I think they were just glad to see the back of me.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Chapmandan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
saying it belonged to the Queen and therefore they had no right to take it from me.
That would be exactly the line i would take
Old Jul 27th 2014, 7:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

That's the point...how can they have any jurisdiction over a document legally issued by another country?
Old Jul 27th 2014, 7:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chapmandan
That would be exactly the line i would take
Similar happened to me about 10 years ago when we were checking in for a Royal Caribbean cruise from New Jersey. At check in they wanted to keep my UK passport until we returned. Again I said it was the property of the Queen and they had no right to keep it. Hubby and daughter were worried that they wouldn't let me embark the ship...but there was absolutely no way I was going to let them keep my PP. In the end I got my way and enjoyed the cruise to Bermuda.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

There are three things I swear I will never give up...my UK driving license, my UK passport and my UK bank account.

When I first went for my NJ driving license I had to provide my old pink UK license to obtain it. The DMV wanted to keep it but I refused saying it belonged to the Queen and therefore they had no right to take it from me.
Similar happened to me when we were checking in for a Royal Caribbean cruise they wanted to keep my UK passport until we returned. Again I said it was the property of the Queen and they had no right to keep it.
How b****y well dare they!
Good for you JG....that's so funny

Old Jul 27th 2014, 9:22 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
That's the point...how can they have any jurisdiction over a document legally issued by another country?
They can insist that it be surrendered and either keep it (for return later on) or return it to the issuing authority. You obviously don't have to comply, but they don't have to issue a local license either. And they can (and generally do) say the the out of jurisdiction license is invalid for local use after X days of residence.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.