Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Studying in USA

Studying in USA

Old Jan 23rd 2015, 4:44 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Studying in USA

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Virin96, since you are here on a temporary visa (you don't have a green card?) then I would suggest that you can argue that you are ordinarily resident in the UK and therefore subject to UK nationals fees. If that's what you want to do.

Would you be regarded as an international student here in the USA?

If you want to study in the USA, then an organisation such as NACES Home
can help you get your course evaluated but it will cost you.

Have you thought about going to an EU university (outside of the UK?) Many places offer degree courses in English but the fees are a fraction of the cost (Maastricht is about €750 for the whole degree and they teach everything in English) As an EU national you would be assessed at local and not international rates.
It depends on his future. If he plans to stay here he should get a US degree. If he plans on moving to the UK/EU he should study there.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

virin96 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am in the process of a green card and plan to stay here.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

Colleges I am looking into require me to use specific agencies only.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 5:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by virin96
Colleges I am looking into require me to use specific agencies only.
Not sure what you mean?

Are you investigating Universities that offer 4 year Degrees?

Which subject?
What career path would you be interested in?
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

Well I dont know what colleges Ill be looking at yet unil I get my HNC evaluated. And business admin, looking into finance or marketing areas
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

What visa are you on as it might effect if you pay international or in state fees depending on which state you live in. How far along are you in the green card application? Best answer to equivalency is Pulaski and the only way you will get a definitive answer is by submitting your HNC transcript with grades to the agencies the colleges are suggesting. As Petitefrancaise says its getting late to apply but most state colleges don't make decision about ordinary applications until the end of Feb and you can still apply up until the end of May. Only the higher rank colleges make early decisions. My son applied in May and got accepted to the college he applied to. Unfortunately he didn't finish it though Good luck with your studies.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 11:00 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Virin96,
do you need a plan?
1. Get your HNC evaluated by one of the NACES members on the page I gave above. We were advised to use WES if we needed this doing as they are highly recommended. Until you've had this done you don't know if you'll be going to community college or regular college.
2. As JJMB says, you need to sort out the visa situation. If you think you'll get your GC fairly soon then that will make life a lot easier.
3. Try and find an international + US students forum, so that you can perhaps ask on there about HNC/equivalency and how colleges view it. Has anyone been succesful already?
4. Apply to your local community college anyway - at least start the application process so that you may be in with a chance of getting a place in September, if you leave it much later you may not get a place at all. Talk to the finance dept at the college and see how you stand.
5. I guess that to keep costs down you're going to try an in-state college? Contact those that might be suitable for you and ask to speak to the admissions dept - there is usually someone there who deals with not-quite-normal applicants. The team at UTAustin were fabulous with my daughter - there was quite a lot of handholding and reassuring noises which was great.

I am far from an expert on college admissions but I had to do a fair bit of work with my daughter and we also hired a private college counsellor to help with the college applications itself - money well spent.

Good luck with it all but if you want to start in September you do need to pull your finger out.
Old Jan 24th 2015, 12:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by virin96
Well I dont know what colleges Ill be looking at yet unil I get my HNC evaluated. And business admin, looking into finance or marketing areas
Don't bother get it evaluated till you know where you're interested in, because each place might have their own service they will want you to use to evaluate the stuff, so you could be wasting your money.
Old Jan 24th 2015, 4:38 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Don't bother get it evaluated till you know where you're interested in, because each place might have their own service they will want you to use to evaluate the stuff, so you could be wasting your money.
Bob, I think a large part of the OP's problem is that until they get the HNC evaluated they don't know whether they can go to community college or if they can use what they've done to get into a college.

I was advised to use a NACES service for my daughter and the counsellor recommended WES in particular. Unless you can think of another way round this problem?
Old Jan 24th 2015, 4:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Bob, I think a large part of the OP's problem is that until they get the HNC evaluated they don't know whether they can go to community college or if they can use what they've done to get into a college.

I was advised to use a NACES service for my daughter and the counsellor recommended WES in particular. Unless you can think of another way round this problem?
True, but they have to have an idea of what they want to study and where.

Then go to those institutes and ask them.

There's no point spending $100+ on getting your stuff translated if you then are interested in one place that uses's another service and then check out a different college who use yet another service.

An HNC is going to be around the associate level of study, the exact fine print of any many course credits it is is kind of irrelevant at this point.