Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

strength and conditioning jobs

strength and conditioning jobs

Old Mar 5th 2009, 2:19 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: strength and conditioning jobs

Originally Posted by meechan1983
I imagined it be be very hard to get to work/live in the US. I have been getting good feedback though when it comes to jobs/interns etc. Its very very hard in a field like this to get anywhere
That's why stepson is probably going to study something completely different.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

I imagined it be be very hard to get to work/live in the US. I have been getting good feedback though when it comes to jobs/interns etc. Its very very hard in a field like this to get anywhere
Unfortunately it's very hard in *any* field at the moment to get a job/visa for the US
Old Mar 5th 2009, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

meechan1983 is a jewel in the roughmeechan1983 is a jewel in the roughmeechan1983 is a jewel in the roughmeechan1983 is a jewel in the roughmeechan1983 is a jewel in the rough

Thats why I am doing my CSCS certification throught the National Strength and Conditioning Association. I was informed by various employers that this will improve my chances as it is very well respected in the US in the field. And coming from a foreign country with experience should be beneficial
Old Mar 5th 2009, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

And coming from a foreign country with experience should be beneficial
why?
Old Mar 5th 2009, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

meechan1983 is a jewel in the roughmeechan1983 is a jewel in the roughmeechan1983 is a jewel in the roughmeechan1983 is a jewel in the roughmeechan1983 is a jewel in the rough

I honestly have no idea. I was told that from the NZ institute os sports aswell. He said that UK degrees are better than US degrees ( this was also the view of the Prof from the US Olympic Medical Centre in Colorado springs)

And there seems to be a higher prevelence of these jobs in the US compared to the Rest of the World. For example only elite athletes use strength and conditioning in the UK, while high school and collegiate colleges use this
Old Mar 5th 2009, 2:37 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

That's true. Sport is taken very seriously here. I know a guy from England who came here teaching soccer, and now lives here full time. Married a Merkan.
He's jockeying to get his eight year old onto the top soccer team in the area. All with an eye to eventual college scholarship.

Have you considered the post grad route? That's the only thing I would recommend. Give you some time and exposure over here.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

what exactly do you mean by the post grad route???? I have a post grad diploma from the University of Edinburgh (scotland) and if i get this CSCS which I should do then im certified by the US
Old Mar 5th 2009, 2:50 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

I just meant more education in general could open up more doors in the sports medicine field. Get you some exposure and the chance to make a name for yourself.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 2:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

what exactly do you mean by the post grad route????
Do a post graduate course at a US university. That would get you in the country on a student visa and enable you to make contacts whilst living and studying.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

that sounds like a good idea. My postgrad cost me £4500 though, not cheap. Any idea of what would be the best way to approach that????
Old Mar 5th 2009, 3:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Compared to what you pay here, that's pretty cheap. It could cost several tens of thousands of dollars.

The plan would be

1. Decide what you want to study
2. Find the best college for that
3. Contact the college and find out what you need to do
4. Save a lot of money to make you eligible for the visa
5. Apply for the course and the visa along with taking any pre-requisite exams you may need to take.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 7:18 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

that sounds like a good idea. My postgrad cost me £4500 though, not cheap. Any idea of what would be the best way to approach that????
OK, here are a few salient points:

It's highly unlikely that any pro team (or even any college team) will hire you and go through all the visa rigmarole unless you have an already-established international reputation.

Yes, the NSCA certifications (and ACSM) are good, but there are thousands of "sport science" graduates who hold these certifications (BTW, you might want to start saying "exercise science" in your communications with people in the US, as there are very few sport science degree programs in the US).

As already pointed out, your best (and probably only) way to accomplish your goal is to (a) apply for a masters program in exercise science (or similar) at a reputable school; and (b) apply for a graduate assistantship with the Athletics Department so you can help pay your way and also begin to develop a professional record of competence in the US.

Then you pray that either (a) you meet a nice American girl who wants to marry you (easy route to a Green Card), or (b) either through a placement (practicum, internship) or by doing a fantastic job in your grad assistantship, you are able to secure a position using your OPT (one year permission to work in the US following completion of a degree). Following that, if you are lucky, your employer may decide to go out on a limb and try to get a visa for you. But be advised that S&C coaches are a dime a dozen and you'd have to be one of the best for any US employer in this arena to choose you over a potential USC employee.

Word of caution: Grad assistants working with the Athletics Department (as assistant coaches, S&C coaches, AT's) tend to work very, very long hours, making it very. very difficult to get good grades. It will be a tough uphill struggle but if you need it enough, then you'll make it.

Good luck.

Last edited by dunroving; Mar 5th 2009 at 7:22 pm. Reason: typos as usual
Old Mar 5th 2009, 7:29 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

...coming from a foreign country with experience should be beneficial
Actually, it could be a disadvantage. The big four sports in the US are minor (or virtually nonexistent) in the UK, so they may look at you as being insufficiently experienced working with athletes in the more important sports. Sorry to be so blunt but you have a major uphill struggle in front of you. Kudos for following your dream and all, but there's a lot you'll need to learn (luckily, there are people on here who will help you).

p.s. Plus, if you're Scottish, they won't have a clue what you are saying.

Last edited by dunroving; Mar 5th 2009 at 7:31 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 7:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Rugby is like football but with no padding?????????

the All Blacks????
You mean it's for real men...not whimps who need padding and helmets.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 10:13 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You mean it's for real men...not whimps who need padding and helmets.
unlike cricket that has people with 2 mattresses strapped to their legs and meal breaks?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.