Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

SSN / Passport question.

SSN / Passport question.

Old Jun 20th 2014, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

Sabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond repute
Default SSN / Passport question.

My daughters U.S Passport expired this year.
Husband is in the US and I am in the UK. We are planning on going to see him in December and I have 3 passports to renew..
I stupidly lost my daughters SSN number. My husband wants to know if he can apply for the SSN card in the US even though my daughter and I are in the UK as we need the SSN number to apply for her passport. He was saying he should just apply for her passport but I think that has to be done at the US embassy in London right?
We need to get this done before september as thats when we're applying for her new passport.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSN / Passport question.

I'd suggest contacting the Federal Benefits Unit at the US Embassy in London.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
I'd suggest contacting the Federal Benefits Unit at the US Embassy in London.
Good link, which contains the following advice for finding the SS number and/or replacing the card.

4. I have lost or misplaced my (or my child’s) Social Security Card. I am (or my child is) a U.S. citizen or legal Permanent Resident Alien. How can I find out my Social Security Number? How do I replace the card?

You should apply for a replacement card even if you cannot recall your Social Security Number. Complete an Application for a Social Security Card, Form SS-5-FS (click HERE to download a PDF of SS-5-FS - PDF, 56kb) - all questions must be answered and legible.

Provide an original identity document – a photocopy is not acceptable. The completed application and identity document should be mailed to us.

Suitable proof of identity documents:

Original U.S Passport, must be current and signed;
Original Permanent Resident Alien card, must be current;
Original U.S. state driver’s license, must be current;
Original U.K. Passport or driver’s license are acceptable, but must be accompanied by proof of U.S. citizenship such as a Naturalization certificate or U.S. birth certificate

If the replacement card is for a child, we need to see proof of identity for both the child and the parent who signs the form.

If you do not know the Social Security Number and need it urgently, e.g. for a new U.S. Passport application, you should submit a Request for Verification (click HERE to download a PDF of SSN Verification - PDF, 85Kb) with the replacement card application and we will mail a verification of the number within 3 business days.

If you only want a verification of the number, and do not want a replacement card, complete the Request for Verification of a Social Security Number (click HERE to download a PDF of SSN Verification - PDF, 85Kb) and submit proof of identity as listed above.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 5:55 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sabrielle
My daughters U.S Passport expired this year.
Husband is in the US and I am in the UK. We are planning on going to see him in December and I have 3 passports to renew..
I stupidly lost my daughters SSN number. My husband wants to know if he can apply for the SSN card in the US even though my daughter and I are in the UK as we need the SSN number to apply for her passport. He was saying he should just apply for her passport but I think that has to be done at the US embassy in London right?
We need to get this done before september as thats when we're applying for her new passport.
Since the question is answered quite wsll, can I be nosey about the circumstances of losing the SSN in the first place?

Just in the interest of learning from other's mistakes
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

If all you need is the SS number then look on the tax return, if you've filed one. That's where I first look for my kids' numbers as it's stored on my PC!
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 6:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
Just in the interest of learning from other's mistakes
I lost my SS card over 40 years ago and have never been asked for it even when I applied for SS and Medicare benefits.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 6:52 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I lost my SS card over 40 years ago and have never been asked for it even when I applied for SS and Medicare benefits.
The card, I get, but the last 4 digits of the number? Comes up every month or 2.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

Sabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond repute

Actually it was in her passport, because we don't live in the US at the moment it was in a file. When I was sorting out the file I noticed it was missing. I have no idea where the card has gone and we have no tax file or anything. Hubby is in America and he doesn't claim us on his tax because we're not there. I need the SSN card or at least the SSN to apply for her passport renewal. I am sorting out her UK passport soon so hopefully it'll come though before I go to apply for her US one as it did say if I don't have her number I can use her birth abroad certificate and her UK passport as proof of ID.