SSN Nightmare!

SSN Nightmare!

Old Jan 21st 2010, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

beeps29 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SSN Nightmare!

Hi all,

Here is the story...

My girlfriend has applied for a SSN two times now, both times her details were erased from the system, no letter was sent to her. She has an L1-B working visa valid untill 2012.

The lady in the office (surprisingly helpfull) said that if there is some discrepency with your visa and it may be registered with immigration as an L2 even though it is an L1 they will just delete your application. This is clearly the case.

We have got HR at our company onto the case now but i wondered if anybody else has experienced such an issue?

Much appreciated

Richard
Old Jan 21st 2010, 9:29 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSN Nightmare!

i would have thought that the ssn office could tell her on the spot whether or not her details were on the system- and what they were on as (ie L1 or L2?). Then it would be a case of finding out how to get anything in error changed.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 9:33 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by beeps29
The lady in the office (surprisingly helpfull) said that if there is some discrepency with your visa and it may be registered with immigration as an L2 even though it is an L1 they will just delete your application. This is clearly the case.
I would be very wary of relying on anything some muppet in a (non-immigration) office told you about immigration matters.

Much more likely that she just made that up.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

beeps29 is an unknown quantity at this point

What do you guys think we should do next? Try to speak to the us immigration? Or do you think we should just re-apply (3rd time)?

Appreciate your responses

Richard
Old Jan 21st 2010, 11:33 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beeps29
Or do you think we should just re-apply (3rd time)?
Try a different SSA office. Ask to speak to a supervisor. Ask for a printout of the information they have on you. Take your passport!

Ian
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

TheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud of

My missus had a similar issue...she's here on an L2 (which, contrary to what some people in SSA may tell you, made her eligible for an SSN since she's married to me, but I digress...) and kept getting the run-around from SSA about her number. Eventually a supervisor told us that she was showing up in the system as being here on a B2, which explained much.

After a bit of a run-around we ended up at a CBP office by the airport where they corrected her status in the computer. Not 10 days later her SS card arrived in the mail without any further action on her part. Happy Endings!

I'd agree with Ian, try a different office and see if someone there can be more helpful.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

Teach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really nice

When we moved here, we were told that we were dead according to the SSN that were given to us. We had to go back to the airport where we arrived in order to change SSN's