Reload this Page >

SSN & Address

SSN & Address

Old Sep 26th 2016, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

mproudfoot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SSN & Address

Hi all,

I've been reading various old threads and articles on this but I'm still not 100% clear on how this will work so I'm hoping you knowledgeable folks can offer some advice.

I'm due to fly over to the US (NE Ohio) this weekend as the first entry on a new H1B visa - I'm literally taking nothing but clothes, so I'm going to pretty much start from scratch. I've already arranged a lease vehicle through Intl Autosource and I will be initially staying in a corporate apartment for the first month or two while I find a place to rent. I also plan to take advantage of AMEX's scheme for existing cardholders (I've had a UK AMEX for around 6 years and it's been paid off on time each month).

So my main focus at the moment is the initial stuff - primarily:
  • Applying for an SSN
  • Opening a bank account
  • Taking driving test(s) with Ohio BMV

My two main concerns at the moment are:

1. I read that it was always comon to wait a period of days after entry into the US before applying for the SSN, but there have been some comments that this may not be necessary any longer. Has anyone done this recently, and just applied for their SSN on day one? If so, was there any issues, and what was the turnaround?

2. Opening a bank account - I gather that I do not legally require an SSN to open a non-interest-bearing account (checking), and that I may face challenges with this with some bank staff that are not used to dealing with foreign residents - but what about the address? As I'll be staying at the corporate apartment, I will have no utility or rental bills with my name on it, so I'm at a loss as to what I can use as proof of US address. I read that someone managed to use their UK address to open an account, along with their Visa-stamped passport, but not sure if that was just a one-off. What else have people in similar situations used?

3. Applying for license (theory and practical tests). The Ohio BMV (like most other state licensing departments I assume) states that they require proof of Ohio residency (address). Again, I'm not likely to have anything that meets that for a few months - what have other people used in this situation?

thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Old Sep 26th 2016, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSN & Address

1. The wait period does not apply to the H visa, so you can go ahead and visit your nearest SS office immediately. What you read is for permanent residents like married people.

2. You can use the corporate housing address to open an account and inform the bank when you find a rental. If it were me, I'd wait for the SSN and use my Amex card in the meantime.

3. Again, use the temp address and adjust it when you move. You can drive on your UK licence for a period (usually 30 days) before you are required to get a US licence.
Old Sep 26th 2016, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the quick reply! I suppose my main issue is timing:
Originally Posted by Guindalf
1. The wait period does not apply to the H visa, so you can go ahead and visit your nearest SS office immediately. What you read is for permanent residents like married people.
That's great to know!

2. You can use the corporate housing address to open an account and inform the bank when you find a rental. If it were me, I'd wait for the SSN and use my Amex card in the meantime.
Ideally, I'd like to open an account asap so that I can get paid (every two weeks) and also, so I can actually move on with transferring the AMEX (they won't do it with any balance in the UK AMEX). I'll have no proof of staying in the corporate housing, however.

3. Again, use the temp address and adjust it when you move. You can drive on your UK licence for a period (usually 30 days) before you are required to get a US licence.
Again timing is my problem - i can use the temp address, but will have no proof of staying there (no utility bills with my name on it etc). My company is paying up to two months of car rental for me as Intl Autosource cannot deliver my lease vehicle until I have an SSN and Ohio driving license and insurance.. so I need to arrange all of that as quickly as possible.
Old Sep 26th 2016, 5:29 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

When I came over on an H1B in 1987 I had 2 suitcases and $3000 in travelers checks. I applied for a SSN and bank account on my 2nd day and used my work address for both. When I had an apartment I did a change of address.
Old Sep 26th 2016, 6:07 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
When I came over on an H1B in 1987 I had 2 suitcases and $3000 in travelers checks. I applied for a SSN and bank account on my 2nd day and used my work address for both. When I had an apartment I did a change of address.
I came on a K1 last year and like Nun, applied for an SSN on my second day, and a bank account shortly afterwards. I used my OH's address (as thats where I'd be living), the visa in my passport & USCIS paperwork as proof of residency/legitimacy. Took about 3-4 hours to complete at our local bank but they were very helpful!

Not sure how Ohio works for drivers licenses, but for NY State, I had to wait till I had an EAD card & a physical social security card before they would let me enroll for a learners permit.
Old Sep 26th 2016, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks nun and livinginnyc, that's very helpful. I believe Ohio BMW does require an SSN card too - so does the SSN card have an address on it too? I assumed not but only because i'm comparing it to the UK's Nat Insurance card which I've had since I was 16 with nothing but my name and NI number on it.
Old Sep 26th 2016, 6:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know about the BMW, but the BMV does require proof of your address, i.e. utility bill, etc. Did you check what form of documentation you need for the Ohio driver's license.

The SS card does not have an address and you really don't have to update an address with them when you move.
Old Sep 26th 2016, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
Don't know about the BMW, but the BMV does require proof of your address, i.e. utility bill, etc. Did you check what form of documentation you need for the Ohio driver's license.

The SS card does not have an address and you really don't have to update an address with them when you move.
Oops, I did of course mean BMV haha

The BMV have a fairly large list of acceptable documents - http://publicsafety.ohio.gov/links/bmv2424.pdf

the ones for address is reasonably extensive but I think of all of those, bank statements, credit card statements or paycheck stubs might be my best bet.
Old Sep 26th 2016, 7:25 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Your signed lease for the corporate housing will be sufficient for the bank account address.
You do not need SSN to open a checking account. Just the lease and 2 forms of ID one of which must be a government issued one - your passport, amex card or other debit/credit card should be sufficient.

Ask for a temporary debit card and checks to take away with you so that you can use the account immediately.

Most of the banks have a way of not having any monthly charges, ask what they have.

OPEN A FOREIGN EXCHANGE ACCOUNT NOW if you don't already have one and think you may be transferring money from UK to USA. This will save you money. Whatever you do, don't use the bank to exchange any largish sums without first checking the rates and charges.

Good luck with the move.
Old Sep 26th 2016, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Your signed lease for the corporate housing will be sufficient for the bank account address.
To be clear, the corporate apartment is one of several apartments that the company leases in the area - it's not being leased specifically for me, and nothing related to the apartment will have my name on it.
Old Sep 26th 2016, 7:36 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mproudfoot
To be clear, the corporate apartment is one of several apartments that the company leases in the area - it's not being leased specifically for me, and nothing related to the apartment will have my name on it.
ah, OK.

Then use your UK address. Bring some tax/utility/bank letters with your name and address on them.
Immediately after the account has been approved/opened (and I mean before you leave the branch) change the address to your apartment. You only need proof of address to open the account since it's a federal requirement, once that's done, you can use whatever address you like.
Old Sep 26th 2016, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
ah, OK.

Then use your UK address. Bring some tax/utility/bank letters with your name and address on them.
Immediately after the account has been approved/opened (and I mean before you leave the branch) change the address to your apartment. You only need proof of address to open the account since it's a federal requirement, once that's done, you can use whatever address you like.
Ah that's perfect, I'll do just that - thanks again!
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

Well, just as a quick update - arrived into the US yesterday quickly through immigration at ORD and was in the apartment by 8pm.

Today, popped into the office to print out my i-94 record, and took that, plus my passport and a completed SS-5 form to the local Social Security Admin and was out in about 90mins (with a standard letter to say that I will receive the card pending validation of my documentation).

So far, so good.

I only had time to drop into one bank - the local Chase branch and after talking to one of the staff there, who then consulted the manager, they would not open a checking account for me without something showing a valid US address as proof of residence. He said they could not accept my UK address, and suggested a letter from my employer may suffice so going to try that route, but otherwise, I may have to just wander around trying different banks (although Chase is definitely my preferred bank round here).
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 7:49 pm
Austin. TX.

My experience with wells fargo is pretty good for opening accounts. Various banks and branches have different policies for documentation they require.. If they don't want to open an account without a US address, then that's their bank's policy. They could do it if they wanted to -

Having a letter from your employer showing what? That they have given you an apartment to live in that isn't in your name? The manager has decided that they are comfortable with that but I would think it probably doesn't comply with their own customer identification program (CIP). If getting a letter will work with the bank that you want to use and it's easy/quick for you to get it, then go ahead. My only concern would be that this branch doesn't have many international customers and may not give you best advice in certain areas, like transferring money.
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 7:52 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding your SSN and having to "validate your documents", hopefully they didn't put you into "manual verification", because that can take 8 to 10 weeks.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.