Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

spending 3 months in California, but where?

spending 3 months in California, but where?

Old Sep 1st 2014, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: spending 3 months in California, but where?

Originally Posted by modernanxiety
I had a look at the places that were recommended and Berkeley looks amazing, very liberal and a nice small City. *On the other hand Monterey has the better weather during winter and a good arts scene.** Santa Barbara is a big place by the looks of things, with an interesting history.*** Mendocino is perhaps a bit too small,***** I don’t know anyone in the US so don’t want to cut myself off too much and need to find things to amuse myself particularly on the theme of learning, the arts, and personal development. I don’t know whether I’ll be staying in one place or moving around. What is the situation with renting a room in a houseshare for just a month?

I don’t think I’d have the gumption to rent an RV as I’m quite new to driving and like to be on terra firma

Just out of interest, no-one has mentioned L.A, is it really that bad? Just a sprawling crime-ridden metropolis or does it have its charms?
*Berkeley might be great. You'd be able to explore San Francisco, drive south on the Coast highway - spectacular!..../and north....spectacular!...and visit the gorgeous wine country, as well.
And you'd be in a university environment which would be less daunting than a huge metropolis (LA)

See monthly rentals here:
https://www.airbnb.com/s/Berkley?che...015&room_types[]=Private+room&sw_lat=37.85841237392826&sw_lng=-122.27240361449606&ne_lat=37.89725315369143&ne_lng =-122.22639836547262&zoom=14&search_by_map=true

**Monterey...weather would be similar to San Francisco, I believe. Neither are that cold in winter - especially during the day. Remember, it's California!

***Santa Barbara - it's VERY small actually. And beautiful. You could visit LA from there....tho I'd think a month would be waaaaaaaaay too long to spend there. Nor would you want to drive back and forth to LA from there on a daily basis....it's a couple of hours each way.

*****Mendocino is tiny. Can't beat it for the scenery tho. ....( just a personal fave)

RV rental is a horrible idea for you...but you've already nixed it
Old Sep 1st 2014, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Sep 2nd 2014, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Not one of his better songs.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 6:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Old Sep 2nd 2014, 2:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
lol good!

And one of the words you'll need to know if you decide on going to East LA

Cholos and Cholas...
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 4:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat027 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
lol good!

And one of the words you'll need to know if you decide on going to East LA

Cholos and Cholas...
And the word 'like' around the valley areas. It makes up around 70% of all sentences.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 4:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dek
And the word 'like' around the valley areas. It makes up around 70% of all sentences.
My son is the worst with that.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dek
Coincidence - I JUST posted about that in the PDT forum (1st time I even wandered in there, btw).
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 8:45 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

As a native born Californian who has lived here over 60 years, I will admit that I find the question a difficult one to answer.

To give an idea of the difficulty, imagine if I was to ask the same question in regards to the UK -- and the UK is substantially smaller than California.

One would have to have an idea of what OP would like to see. I know that one of the more interesting drives I ever had was from Bakersfield to San Jose -- we saw there was a network of straight roads between Interstate 5 and US 99. We decided to do that and found ourselves going through very interesting farm country and had the best Basque food I've ever had my life.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 10:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Old Sep 2nd 2014, 11:09 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Last edited by S Folinsky; Sep 2nd 2014 at 11:10 pm. Reason: Add a second link
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 11:12 pm
BE Commentator

Old Sep 2nd 2014, 11:14 pm
BE Commentator

Old Sep 2nd 2014, 11:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

My favorite...
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 11:34 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Base yourself in Santa Monica/Venice and take a couple of weeks in the middle to trip around SF.

You get Brits, beaches, good weather, easy access to LA proper, access to Joshua Tree or Death Valley or Vegas, a good sniff of Norcal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.