Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Some questions for newbie moving to the USA

Some questions for newbie moving to the USA

Old Sep 19th 2016, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

drunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Some questions for newbie moving to the USA

Been lurking around these forums for a while and have found most answers to the questions I had but theres a couple of questions I cant find any answer for.

Apologies if these questions have been done to death but couldn't really find an answer to any of them!

We are moving to the USA at the end of the year for a couple of years (husband has a secondment and will most likely be going on an L1 visa).

Whilst this process is ongoing, can either of us enter the US on an ESTA? Or do we need to wait until the visa process is complete?

Not taking much with us, and I know that certain things I currently own wont work too well (hair driers, blenders etc.), so will be getting replacements when I arrive, but what about a PS4 (PlayStation)? I'm assuming it will work the same but will there be any restrictions on the games, i.e. if he buys a game in the USA will it work OK on the European PS4? Probably a really daft question - but I think that (along with our sub woofer/speakers) is all we'll be taking electric-wise.

Thanks
Old Sep 19th 2016, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

mproudfoot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Some questions for newbie moving to the USA

You will have no issues entering the US on a valid ESTA while the visa process is ongoing (I did so while waiting for approval on my H1B, and even after getting the visa in my passport (but not yet valid as the start date was a month away), I visited the US again for two weeks - the immigration officer glanced at the visa but just stamped a different page.

My PS3 shows 220-240v underneath so it will not work in the US without some kind of transformer - I'm just giving it to a relative (and will probably get a US PS4 Pro in November for Playstation VR) but it's worth checking your PS4 for the same - if it shows 110-220/240v, then you should be good.

Last edited by mproudfoot; Sep 19th 2016 at 1:14 pm.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

AndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond repute

You would be better off selling your PS4 as you will also need a new US PSN account and PS4 discs are region locked + the voltage adaptor. Get a PS4 pro when that arrives.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 1:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Traveling on ESTA/VWP while you have a visa, any visa, being processed is no problem at all.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

loubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond repute

Both our UK PS3 and PS4 work here with just a travel plug adapter. The boys didn't need to create new accounts either, they were able to update their existing accounts to the US. We only use the PS3 as a means to access Hulu and Netflix on a non-smart TV in the family room so no experience with US bought games. For their PS4s, the boys have both bought games since we've been here via disc and PlayStation Store download, again with no issue.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

drunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Perfect, thank you all for your replies. That's been most helpful.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

AndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loubiblu
Both our UK PS3 and PS4 work here with just a travel plug adapter. The boys didn't need to create new accounts either, they were able to update their existing accounts to the US. We only use the PS3 as a means to access Hulu and Netflix on a non-smart TV in the family room so no experience with US bought games. For their PS4s, the boys have both bought games since we've been here via disc and PlayStation Store download, again with no issue.
I think I am working from the PS1 days but you are 100% right....that means I can take mine with me The only problem people may run into is Blu Ray/DVD's playback which may or may not be region blocked.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 12:47 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

Both our UK PS3 and PS4 work here with just a travel plug adapter.
Just to echo this... I came here with a UK XBox 360, Wii and PS3 (I don't have kids... I just am one). The 360 needed a US power brick - that I picked up off ebay for about $10, The wii powered up fine with a US <-> UK converter and the PS3 was the same. Eventually I bought a US power cable (again from ebay - $2) for the PS3.

As others have said on the forum, there will be region controls for DVD/BluRay - I personally don't mind this, as it means my DVD's from the UK can be played however I'm sure Google can help you if you wanted to change this in the future

I packed all three in my suitcase (albeit on separate trips), and used a mix of cardboard and bubblewrap in the hopes they would survive the journey. I did take the 360's hard drive on my carryon (I made a point to take it out and show it to Heathrow security) and got some quizzical looks (a senior officer came out, looked at it and asked what games I played before sending me on my way), but all was OK .

This side, I region changed my XBox live account so that it could download US apps - 360 games purchased here work fine on it.

Last edited by livinginnyc; Sep 20th 2016 at 12:49 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

loubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginnyc
Just to echo this... I came here with a UK XBox 360, Wii and PS3 (I don't have kids... I just am one). The 360 needed a US power brick - that I picked up off ebay for about $10, The wii powered up fine with a US <-> UK converter and the PS3 was the same. Eventually I bought a US power cable (again from ebay - $2) for the PS3.

As others have said on the forum, there will be region controls for DVD/BluRay - I personally don't mind this, as it means my DVD's from the UK can be played however I'm sure Google can help you if you wanted to change this in the future

I packed all three in my suitcase (albeit on separate trips), and used a mix of cardboard and bubblewrap in the hopes they would survive the journey. I did take the 360's hard drive on my carryon (I made a point to take it out and show it to Heathrow security) and got some quizzical looks (a senior officer came out, looked at it and asked what games I played before sending me on my way), but all was OK .

This side, I region changed my XBox live account so that it could download US apps - 360 games purchased here work fine on it.

Same with XBox One, son needed to buy a new power brick. Easily found on Amazon. Our WII only works connected to our UK TVs, not the new one we bought here. Not a big deal though.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 3:00 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

Our WII only works connected to our UK TVs, not the new one we bought here. Not a big deal though.
Going slightly off topic here - but my Wii worked fine with a US TV. It's pretty much a door stop now it can't be used online though. The 360 went the same way though after I got treated to an XBox one for Christmas my love knows the way to my heart