Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Social Securtity Number & 245(i)

Social Securtity Number & 245(i)

Old Feb 7th 2001, 1:30 am
Geoffrey Krimmens

Hello kind folks,

My wife and I will soon be filing the I-130 (along with a few other forms) using the
245(i). Does anyone know if we can make application for a Social Security number for her?
Or will she be issued some type of registration number in the event work authorization is
granted? We were just curious about how we would file taxes and obtain health insurance
for her through my work, (the HMO wants a subscriber S.S.# and she doesn't have one . . .
. thus the many questions here). Plus banks want a S.S.# for loans, accounts, etc.

We appreciate any input. Thank you!!

Geoff & Marinella

Old Feb 7th 2001, 10:47 am
Alvena Ferreira

Geoffrey Krimmens wrote:
> My wife and I will soon be filing the I-130 (along with a few other forms) using the
> 245(i). Does anyone know if we can make application for a Social Security number for
> her? Or will she be issued some type of registration number in the event work
> authorization is granted? We were just curious about how we would file taxes and obtain
> health insurance for her through my work, (the HMO wants a subscriber S.S.# and she
> doesn't have one . . . . thus the many questions here). Plus banks want a S.S.# for
> loans, accounts, etc.
>
Are you a US citizen or a permanent resident only?

Whether or not she can get a SS number will hinge on whether she is eligible for a work
authorization (EAD) card.... IF you are a US citizen, then you can file I-130, I-485, and
also file concurrently an I-765 for her work authorization, and when she gets that card,
she can go to SS office and get SS number. IF you are only permanent resident, then you
cannot file I-485 but only can file I-130, in which case she canNOT get work authorization
and hence canNOT get SS card.

alvena marriage visa pages at: http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes 245i page:
http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes/245i.html

Old Feb 7th 2001, 5:36 pm
Sandy Gonzalez

Geoff, My fiancee and I are getting married tomorrow to also file under
245(i) next week. From what I understand, when you file I-765 Employment Authorization
Document along with your I-485, within 90 days you will receive notice, actually
your wfie will, to go pick it up. Then with her EAD, she may go apply for a SSN,
and then with the SSN she may apply for a Driver's License. That's what we plan on
doing. Just out of curiousity, what INS office are you filing everything at? Will
you do it in person or mail it? I'll be doing all this next week as soon as my
husband to be's physical is comleted. Hope this helps.

Sandy

Old Feb 8th 2001, 4:24 pm
Geoffrey Krimmens

Sandy Gonzalez

> Just out of curiousity, what INS office are you filing everything
at? Will you do it in person or mail it? I'll be doing all this next week as soon as my
husband to be's physical is comleted. Hope this helps.

>Sandy

thanx for your reply, Sandy! we will be filing at the Charlotte, NC office. You guys sound
like you're in the same situation we are. we will start by filing everything we can at
once, (from what i hear, it's conceivable), the I-130, I-485, I-765 & the one for advanced
parole. we will do the filing in person. i want to be with her so they (ins) don't pull
any funny shi* and try and detain her or something. i will handle all paperwork that she
doesn't need to be present for. i think once it's filed then one's allowed to remain in
the U.S. without detention pending approval (or non-approval). i also heard the Charlotte
office is pretty decent as far as time-lines go. and where will y'all file?

best wishes & luck to you both!

Old Feb 8th 2001, 4:39 pm
Andy Platt

If you are in the same situation as Sandy there won't be any point in filing for advance
parole. If the immigrant has > 6 months illegal presence they can't leave the US without
being subject to a three year ban on re-entering.

Once your wife has filed the I-485 you are correct that she is "legal" again and can
remain here until the AOS is approved / denied without the fear of deporation. They aren't
going to pull any "funny shi*" as you put it but I would still go with your wife to file
anyway for moral support, etc. Or to put it another way, if they wanted to pull any "shi*"
they will do it whether you are there or not.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "Geoffrey Krimmens"
<[email protected]>
>
> > Just out of curiousity, what INS office are you filing everything
> at? Will you do it in person or mail it? I'll be doing all this next week as soon as my
> husband to be's physical is comleted. Hope this helps.
>
> >Sandy
>
>
>
> thanx for your reply, Sandy! we will be filing at the Charlotte, NC
office.
> You guys sound like you're in the same situation we are. we will start by filing
> everything we can at once, (from what i hear, it's conceivable),
the
> I-130, I-485, I-765 & the one for advanced parole. we will do the filing
in
> person. i want to be with her so they (ins) don't pull any funny shi* and try and detain
> her or something. i will handle all paperwork that she doesn't need to be present for. i
> think once it's filed then one's allowed to remain in the U.S. without detention pending
> approval (or
non-approval).
> i also heard the Charlotte office is pretty decent as far as time-lines
go.
> and where will y'all file?
>
> best wishes & luck to you both!
>
>
>
>

Old Feb 8th 2001, 5:27 pm
Betastar

thanx for your reply, Sandy! we will be filing at the Charlotte, NC
> office. You guys sound like you're in the same situation we are. we will start by filing
> everything we can at once, (from what i hear, it's conceivable), the I-130, I-485, I-765
> & the one for advanced parole. we will do the filing in person. i want to be with her so
> they (ins) don't pull any funny shi* and try and detain her or something. i will handle
> all paperwork that she doesn't need to be present for.

Get there bright and early. There's a nice Holiday Inn across the street. Don't bother
applying for Advanced Parole if she was in the US without any status for 180+ days - if
they make a mistake and give it to her, and she leaves the country, she will not get back
in. It's a waste of your time and money.

> i also heard the Charlotte office is pretty decent as far as time-lines go.

Hahahahaha! That's a good one! I guess it depends on which time-line you're talking about.
They were pretty good for us with the EAD and AP (though again, AP might not be a good
idea for you) but it's taking about 3 YEARS to do an adjustment of status through
Charlotte right now.

Betastar married to a Charlotte filer

Old Feb 9th 2001, 11:27 am
Geoffrey Krimmens

Betastar wrote:
>Get there bright and early. There's a nice Holiday Inn across the street. Don't bother
>applying for Advanced Parole if she was in the US without any status for 180+ days - if
>they make a mistake and give it to her, and she leaves the country, she will not get back
>in. It's a waste of your time and money.

>>Andy Platt wrote: If you are in the same situation as Sandy there won't be any point in
filing
>>for advance parole. If the immigrant has 6 months illegal presence they can't leave the
>>US without being subject to a three year ban on
re-entering.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Advanced Parole info guys. That is definitely good to know!

g.K.

Old Feb 9th 2001, 12:11 pm
Andy Platt

CONGRATULATIONS!!! wish u guys the best of luck. And thanks again for the
> info in regards to advanced parole. i guess one would need AOS approval to obtain that?
> 'bout how long would that take, (or do i need to ask, LOL!).

Once the AOS is approved the (new) permanent relative is free to travel. How long that
takes depends on where you are filing. Since you're at Charlotte that will be about two
years right now:

http://members.aol.com/MDUdall/instimes.htm

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.