Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Social Security for F-1?

Social Security for F-1?

Old Jan 30th 2001, 8:57 pm
David Wake

Can anyone please tell me if F-1 status (student) get Socal Security
> numbers? My wife is currently on H-4 visa and would like to go to school and apply for
> OPT after she has graduated. I know that on H-4 status SSN is not given.

I think that if you go to your nearest Social Security office they'll give you a SSN. At
my school (Stanford) the Social Security people actually came round and handled our
requests on campus.

David

Old Jan 30th 2001, 9:39 pm
Giops

I know that on H-4 status SSN is not given.

True.

But... go to DMV, ask for the application for a Driver's License, they'll ask you for a
SSN... You say "What's a SSN???", they'll give you a form to go to the SS and as for a
"Non Working" SSN

There you are... My wife has a "Non Working" SSN since 1995, obtained exactly this way.
It works for credit card companies, too.

--
Piero "Giops" Giorgi San Francisco (USA) http://www.geocities.com/pgiorgi

Old Jan 30th 2001, 10:53 pm
SG

Can anyone please tell me if F-1 status (student) get Socal Security numbers? My wife is
currently on H-4 visa and would like to go to school and apply for OPT after she has
graduated. I know that on H-4 status SSN is not given.

thanks SG

Old Jan 31st 2001, 2:01 am
Alistair Bell

> > I know that on H-4 status SSN is not given.
>
> True.
>
> But... go to DMV, ask for the application for a Driver's License, they'll ask you for a
> SSN... You say "What's a SSN???", they'll give you a form to go to the SS and as for a
> "Non Working" SSN

This works in some states, but not all. It doesn't work in Massachusetts, for instance
(a letter denying the SSN works for the RMV, so you can't use the RMV as an excuse to
get an SSN)

--
Alistair

*IMPORTANT NOTE* I am not a lawyer and do not dispense legal advice. For accurate
information, always consult a good immigration attorney.