Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

So... What's cheaper, whats more expensive?

So... What's cheaper, whats more expensive?

Old Aug 27th 2015, 2:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So... What's cheaper, whats more expensive?

Originally Posted by rpjs
Agreed, but it might be of value to OP in terms of pointing out the stuff the examiners look for like the whole look over your shoulder thing which they're much more keen on than in the UK.
They are? Looking over my shoulder was a key part of my learning to drive and road test in the UK.

The OP should bear in mind that in the US you can make multiple failures in your road test and still be passed, so long as your driving isn't actually dangerous or illegal, such as not coming to a complete halt at a Stop sign. The state road tests in the US are to an entirely different standard from those administered in the UK.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 27th 2015 at 2:05 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2015, 2:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Up in Maine, things probably balanced out.

Down in the metrowest area of MA...it's generally more expensive.
Old Aug 27th 2015, 2:38 pm
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Random things that you might not expect can be wildly expensive.

Drove to a couple of stores looking for tumeric a while ago. Just a small pot. Cheapest I could find was $4 plus tax . But the curries are worth it.

A major saver for me here is my commute on mass transit (I get the trolley and a decent discount through my employer) costing exactly $18 p/month. In London that expense was $350 - $400 p/month.
Old Aug 27th 2015, 3:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by username.exe

Drove to a couple of stores looking for tumeric a while ago. Just a small pot. Cheapest I could find was $4 plus tax . But the curries are worth it.

A major saver for me here is my commute on mass transit (I get the trolley and a decent discount through my employer) costing exactly $18 p/month. In London that expense was $350 - $400 p/month.
Down my way, those kind of spices are dirt cheap but out of the world expensive up where we used to live in Maine.

Random things that have gotten expensive over the last year are eggs. A half dozen last summer was $1.30 and now, the minging battery eggs are $3...never mind the fancy farm fresh organic stuff.

As for transit, those are the rates you'd be lucky to pay for parking to get on the transit, if you paid up for a annual rate....and I'd like my car not to be battered at the end of the day paying those kind of parking rates
Old Aug 27th 2015, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

For the spices and blends I can't get at the ethnic supermarket I use Merchants of Exquisite Spices, Herbs and Seasonings | Chicago | Milwaukee | Evanston | Geneva

@Bob

I keep seeing signs in food places apologising for no eggs due to a national shortage because of avian fllu
Egg prices in the US nearly double after outbreak of avian flu | US news | The Guardian

Last edited by BubbleChog; Aug 27th 2015 at 3:20 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2015, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

loubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond repute

^^This

As new arrivals I went to our local 'run of the mill' store - Jewel. $5+ per spice! No cheaper at Target either. Called into the local WholeFoods for meat and saw their weigh your own section. Got a range of spices (cumin, tumeric, fenugreek etc) all for under 50c each! The per oz cost was about 60-80c as opposed to $4+ for pre-packaged stuff. They're in ziploc bags until I can bring myself to go on a trip to IKEA
Old Aug 27th 2015, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

He'll... then drive you to the test area (which you can't do yourself on a learner's permit).
Is this applicable to driver's with a foreign driving licence? When visiting on a VWP I can drive for the 90 days without fouling legislation (so long as I've got a full UK licence). The OP will still possess his UK licence and can drive on it for 30 days (or whatever it happens to be dependent upon which state you're in) after receiving his visa. Does he not then find himself in the odd position of holding both a learner's permit and a UK one which is still permissible to use?
(Not so much of an issue where I'll be doing mine as the test centre uses the adjoining road system for a baseball field [ie. car park!] and doesn't go near the adjacent State Road and it's Florida )
Old Aug 27th 2015, 5:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Is this applicable to driver's with a foreign driving licence? When visiting on a VWP I can drive for the 90 days without fouling legislation (so long as I've got a full UK licence). The OP will still possess his UK licence and can drive on it for 30 days (or whatever it happens to be dependent upon which state you're in) after receiving his visa. Does he not then find himself in the odd position of holding both a learner's permit and a UK one which is still permissible to use? ....
I think technically you're deemed to be a learner when you arrive for your test no matter that you have a full foreign licence. I drove myself, but my wife was with me in the car and she had a full NY license already, but I don't recall any attempt to verify her driving credentials to supervise me driving to the test center.

I was also driving a rental car and the examiner didn't question that either, though I suspect he did not realise it was a rental car.
Old Aug 27th 2015, 6:10 pm
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I think technically you're deemed to be a learner when you arrive for your test no matter that you have a full foreign licence. I drove myself, but my wife was with me in the car and she had a full NY license already, but I don't recall any attempt to verify her driving credentials to supervise me driving to the test center.

I was also driving a rental car and the examiner didn't question that either, though I suspect he did not realise it was a rental car.
This is an interesting point.
I drove myself in my wife's car, took the test and drive home again. Nobody batted an eyelid. I do recall something about being able to demonstrate I was insured to drive the vehicle, if the examiner asked.
Old Aug 27th 2015, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

I *think* if you're on an NYS Learner's Permit but hold a full foreign licence you're excused certain restrictions such as a supervising driver. The thing about driving to the test is that in NYS learners are prohibited from driving in a designated DMV test area (which given that they're public roads, must suck if you live by one!).

When I did my road test my instructor got me to drive almost the whole way there, then pulled into a parking lot and got us to swap seats. He wouldn't let me back in the driver's seat until we were at the head of the line and he was adamant that I shouldn't as much as touch the steering wheel until the examiner got in the car and instructed me to turn on the ignition.

Of course, I suspect that these things may vary in practice depending on location - it might be our local road test office (Yorktown Heights) is more anal than others.
Old Aug 27th 2015, 7:57 pm

I *think* if you're on an NYS Learner's Permit but hold a full foreign licence you're excused certain restrictions such as a supervising driver. The thing about driving to the test is that in NYS learners are prohibited from driving in a designated DMV test area (which given that they're public roads, must suck if you live by one!).

When I did my road test my instructor got me to drive almost the whole way there, then pulled into a parking lot and got us to swap seats. He wouldn't let me back in the driver's seat until we were at the head of the line and he was adamant that I shouldn't as much as touch the steering wheel until the examiner got in the car and instructed me to turn on the ignition.

Of course, I suspect that these things may vary in practice depending on location - it might be our local road test office (Yorktown Heights) is more anal than others.
I definitely drove to the test center, in Herkimer, NY. It sounds like I probably shouldn't have.
Old Aug 27th 2015, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

I definitely drove to the test center, in Herkimer, NY. It sounds like I probably shouldn't have.
Well, if it's any consolation, my instructor got me to drive briefly on the Taconic on the way to the test, because not doing so would have taken us by a very circuitous route, and NY learners aren't supposed to drive on parkways either. Interstates, perfectly legal though!
Old Aug 27th 2015, 9:05 pm

Well, if it's any consolation, my instructor got me to drive briefly on the Taconic on the way to the test, because not doing so would have taken us by a very circuitous route, and NY learners aren't supposed to drive on parkways either. Interstates, perfectly legal though! .....
Yeah, well parkways are much more dangerous than interstates! Two lanes of traffic barreling along a single lane width of road.

There is a north-bound parkway on-ramp just north of Valhalla IIRC which is about 50ft long and merges into a sweeping right bend emerging from under the bridge over the parkway, so there is no view, either directly or in the door mirror of the traffic you have to merge into. The only technique that seemed to work was to stand on the accelerator as you turned onto the ramp, and hope there was a space to meege into when you reached the end.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 27th 2015 at 9:12 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2015, 8:57 am
Just Joined

n lon to ny is an unknown quantity at this point

hahaha - thanks guys - turmeric and terrifying junctions sound great. speaking of IKEA...... do they deliver in the US if you order online? I don't think I can face going in person.......
Old Aug 28th 2015, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by n lon to ny
hahaha - thanks guys - turmeric and terrifying junctions sound great. speaking of IKEA...... do they deliver in the US if you order online? I don't think I can face going in person.......
Yes, but it can be pricy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.