Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

So expensive to rent a car

So expensive to rent a car

Old Sep 22nd 2017, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So expensive to rent a car

Originally Posted by TimandRae
On a similar-but-different note, does anyone's US car insurance cover them driving a car overseas?

Ours covers us for hire cars in the US and Canada but not further afield and when we need to get one when we visit the UK the insurance kills us...
I quite often get travel insurance with car cover included. I think last time it cost me and extra $30 for $50k cover over 3 weeks.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 6:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of car are people renting?

$30 a day range down my way gets a Chevy Equinox/Rav 4 sized car usually. A mini sized car for about $20.

A Highlander, sized one is around the $50 and then luxury stuff like BMW's are $100+.

Renting during the week, tends to be cheaper than over the weekend, but Hertz, usually has a weekend coupon, as do the other places you could Google.

AAA has a discount for a couple of rental outfits too.

I tend to stick with Enterprise or Avis. Enterprise, because they'll pick you up if needed, or they'll pick the car up from the garage so you don't have to go back and I use Avis if I need a car on the weekend as they're the only one around here that are open on the weekends.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

britinusa777777755 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob

$30 a day range down my way gets a Chevy Equinox/Rav 4 sized car usually. A mini sized car for about $20.

A Highlander, sized one is around the $50 and then luxury stuff like BMW's are $100+.

Renting during the week, tends to be cheaper than over the weekend, but Hertz, usually has a weekend coupon, as do the other places you could Google.

I tend to stick with Enterprise or Avis. Enterprise, because they'll pick you up if needed, or they'll pick the car up from the garage so you don't have to go back and I use Avis if I need a car on the weekend as they're the only one around here that are open on the weekends.
Costs a lot more in NYC. Additional fees and taxes, on-top of 9% sales tax and extremely high demand every weekend because nobody can afford their own car
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 9:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Renting during the week, tends to be cheaper than over the weekend, but Hertz, usually has a weekend coupon, as do the other places you could Google. ....
Weekends seem to be cheaper here - business rentals during the week seem to be their bread and butter. I paid about $35/day last year, Saturday- Wednesday, for a Chevy Malibu.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 10:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Weekends seem to be cheaper here - business rentals during the week seem to be their bread and butter. I paid about $35/day last year, Saturday- Wednesday, for a Chevy Malibu.
It's the other way around down here.

It's a premium Thursday-Monday it seems, unless you get a discount coupon, but it's still more expensive than during the week rate.

People buggering off for the weekend and getting bigger motor's seems to be the thing. We're also in the burbs, so business folks usually aren't arriving here without a car, they probably get one in Boston, so rates might be a bit different down town area.
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Normal cars.

That's the point of the post really. It seems a lot more expensive here in NYC than I'm used to or expecting, 3x or 4x as much as other US prices and similarly much higher than UK too.

Seems a best bet is to head out of town a bit, which is fine but does impede that spontaneous go grab a car for a day or weekend jolly I'd like to be able to do.

I guess we'll find a way.

Really having a car here would be like a chocolate teapot, useless.

That will probably change if we one day move out of town... 🙂