Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Snake alert!!!

Snake alert!!!

Old Apr 24th 2012, 4:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Snake alert!!!

Originally Posted by lisa67
I hardly saw any snakes last year, but I've already seen a couple and I'm hearing some nasty stories. A friend killed a 4 foot rat snake 2 days ago and my friend's dog got bitten by a cotton mouth last week. I have a feeling it's going to be a bad year
Since yesterday it seems all the neighbours are seeing more snakes this year. Another thought is that the bayou behind us is being cleaned out as well so I guess they are looking for new homes.

I'm ok when I know where there are so someone (husband!) can then kill them but when they disapear on me then I have visions of them showing up all over the place....ugh shudder time
Old Apr 24th 2012, 4:53 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Snake alert!!!

The first place we lived in on our first posting in Singapore was a maisonette and located near to one of the last parcels of primary jungle (now all under concrete) . One day I was in the bedroom upstairs when our Filipino maid screamed for me.

There was a cobra slithering into the kitchen

We went running down to the booth where the security guards spent most of the day dozing and they chased it out with a broom. They also put down a line of sulphur powder. Apparently snakes avoid sulphur.

I was also once walking across some grass, oblivious to the fact that there was a big fat 15ft long python a couple of feet away and I ran like the wind when I spotted it...

One of my friends lived in a gorgeous 'black and white' colonial house; they were originally built for British Army officers and set in spacious gardens (rare in land-scarce Singapore). She used to teach aerobics. One day her husband was complaining about the foul smell in the bedroom. Nina assumed it was just some smelly kit in her gym bag, but even after taking the clothes out to the laundry area the smell didn't dissipate. By the next day the smell was unbearable...and the husband reckoned it was coming from the vicinity of the air-con unit. They called in the air-con service guy.....he opened up the cover and found a nest of snakes (some were being 'cooked' and there were many eggs there starting to hatch). We've known of a few expats living in the B&W's who've lost their cats to snakes...
Old Apr 24th 2012, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

My brother in law once killed a rattle snake in Texas. He took it to a taxidermist to get it made into a belt, when he went back the taxidermist claimed he'd never seen him before and didn't have it!
Old Apr 24th 2012, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

katybluewater is an unknown quantity at this point

We had a baby one in our garage this year - the pest control guy said to put moth balls around the garage as they hate the smell of them - worth a try. I have seen quite a few out whilst walking the dog as well - gives me the heebee geebees ........
Old Apr 24th 2012, 9:54 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
My brother in law once killed a rattle snake in Texas. He took it to a taxidermist to get it made into a belt, when he went back the taxidermist claimed he'd never seen him before and didn't have it!
Old Apr 24th 2012, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

SATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Since yesterday it seems all the neighbours are seeing more snakes this year. Another thought is that the bayou behind us is being cleaned out as well so I guess they are looking for new homes.

I'm ok when I know where there are so someone (husband!) can then kill them but when they disapear on me then I have visions of them showing up all over the place....ugh shudder time
We are set for a record season of snakes and scorpions in south Texas this year due to the rain.

We have found several scorpions in the house. One morning, far to early, I heard my wife screaming, I ran to her and she pointed at a snake (12 inch) on our florida room floor.

Red next to yellow kills a fellow: Coral Snake. She did not know it is deadly. It was dispatched quickly before the dogs started "playing" with it, and they move quickly.

Best to clear any leaves, brush or tree limbs, and be careful in the garden flipping over rocks, they tend to nest there.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 4:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Isn't there some sort of spray for them? There ought to be.
Yeah, it's called pepper spray.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 4:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't quote that correctly, so it's out of context.
The previous reply was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmerLisa
just morons...
Isn't there some sort of spray for them? There ought to be.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 10:04 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

As I went out the front door yesterday, not once but twice, something rustled and disappeared into or under the garage wall. I have exprerienced both snakes and skinks making a dash for it in that vicinity and I would prefer the latter over the former, thank you very much!
Old Apr 25th 2012, 3:30 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katybluewater
We had a baby one in our garage this year - the pest control guy said to put moth balls around the garage as they hate the smell of them - worth a try. I have seen quite a few out whilst walking the dog as well - gives me the heebee geebees ........
Some friends back onto the bayou and they were forever getting all sorts of snakes in the back yard. Their pest control guy told them to use cedar bark mulch around the perimeter and they haven't had a single one since.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

SATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really nice

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Some friends back onto the bayou and they were forever getting all sorts of snakes in the back yard. Their pest control guy told them to use cedar bark mulch around the perimeter and they haven't had a single one since.
That is a plus for sure.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 8:07 pm
Banned

Primula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura about

I would die if there were a snake in my house, but we have had something that's almost as bad: bats. I cannot abide something that flies inside the house, but a bat is the worst.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 8:46 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Mr Weeze was taking about getting son snake be gone, or some name like that.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 6:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby has just got one snake and one frog out of our pool. *shudder*

Presumably the snake jumped in trying to catch the frog.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 6:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hubby has just got one snake and one frog out of our pool. *shudder*

Presumably the snake jumped in trying to catch the frog.

Frogs are lovely.......mwhaaaaaaaa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.