Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

SkyGo in the USA

SkyGo in the USA

Old Jan 30th 2012, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SkyGo in the USA

Originally Posted by Bob
Build a small media PC for peanuts then, that could run on a VPN so you don't choke the rest of your network, and it can stream the stuff straight to the tele.
Hopefully this will be available soon. A media center PC the size of a pack of cards for $35. British too. The XBMC software supports VPNs and there are apps for using the various UK media sources.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/571
Old Feb 21st 2012, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

Ferrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond repute

So is anyone connecting to SkyGo with a VPN from the US? I read something about the SkyGo player detecting the constantly changing IP address that gets assigned by the VPN provider and it disabling the client?
Old Feb 21st 2012, 11:46 pm
Banned

gromo007 is just really nicegromo007 is just really nicegromo007 is just really nicegromo007 is just really nicegromo007 is just really nicegromo007 is just really nicegromo007 is just really nicegromo007 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ferrino
So is anyone connecting to SkyGo with a VPN from the US? I read something about the SkyGo player detecting the constantly changing IP address that gets assigned by the VPN provider and it disabling the client?
working perfect for me!
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

Ferrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gromo007
working perfect for me!
So how does SkyGo work - do Sky subscribers in the UK get a certain number of logins that they can use to access SkyGo? Or just one? So if I had a family member in the UK, could they let me use a login?
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ferrino
So how does SkyGo work - do Sky subscribers in the UK get a certain number of logins that they can use to access SkyGo? Or just one? So if I had a family member in the UK, could they let me use a login?
Yeah thats pretty much it. They log in with their account number and then the username and password is what you'd need to log in from here.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

elop is an unknown quantity at this point

With SkyGo you can download content to watch offline including sports - no good if you wanna watch live though. VPNs or proxies etc should work. Not tried it myself though
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

njmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nice

Originally Posted by gromo007
Hey guys. I saw a thread recently about proxy's or something allowing you to watch/stream video from UK websites which isn't allowed to be viewed outside of the UK. Does anyone know if this would work for SkyGo? I would love to be able to watch Sky Sports out here. Thanks
I am using a VPN service on the desktop computer and streaming SkyGO (my parents account) to my HD TV in the lounge. Means I get to watch all the UK sport I want

Give me a yell if you need advice
Old Sep 10th 2012, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

BBFLBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

A decent UK based VPN works a treat with Sky Go. In fact, there's a few suppliers now cropping up that offer a VPN + Sky Go package combined and doesn't require a Sky subscription back in the UK.

I have one and use it in the USA every day. Never had a problem with it on my PC, Mac or iPad and the picture quality is fab. Costs peanuts as well. If anyone's interested I use my service with a firm called 123 UKTV. Just Google them and you will find them easily.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully this will be available soon. A media center PC the size of a pack of cards for $35. British too. The XBMC software supports VPNs and there are apps for using the various UK media sources.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/571
Yep - with RaspXBMC this works a treat. BBC iPlayer, ITV Player all work without a VPN (but do need an anonymous HTTP proxy with a UK IP address). HTTP proxies are much better than a VPN with these two as they both have HD content available that you won't get through a VPN (most ISP rate-limit VPN services).

SkyGo also works. And things like PBS (the only US TV channel frankly worth bothering with), NASA TV, etc, etc.
Old Sep 15th 2012, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

skyscraper101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dlake02
Yep - with RaspXBMC this works a treat. BBC iPlayer, ITV Player all work without a VPN (but do need an anonymous HTTP proxy with a UK IP address). HTTP proxies are much better than a VPN with these two as they both have HD content available that you won't get through a VPN (most ISP rate-limit VPN services).

SkyGo also works. And things like PBS (the only US TV channel frankly worth bothering with), NASA TV, etc, etc.
How do http proxys differ from VPNs? Can you recommend how to go about getting one or what you need to do?
Old Sep 16th 2012, 1:08 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skyscraper101
How do http proxys differ from VPNs? Can you recommend how to go about getting one or what you need to do?
Google it...

One is essentially for web browser stuff, the other is for all web traffic, in the simplest explanation.
Old Sep 16th 2012, 4:52 am
Just Joined

skyscraper101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
Google it...

One is essentially for web browser stuff, the other is for all web traffic, in the simplest explanation.
thanks, which company do you use to provide one?
Old Sep 18th 2012, 1:07 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skyscraper101
thanks, which company do you use to provide one?
I use expatshield because I don't use it that often, so the freebie is good enough :/
Old Nov 1st 2012, 12:36 am
Just Joined

US-Ammer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BBFLBoy
A decent UK based VPN works a treat with Sky Go. In fact, there's a few suppliers now cropping up that offer a VPN + Sky Go package combined and doesn't require a Sky subscription back in the UK.

I have one and use it in the USA every day. Never had a problem with it on my PC, Mac or iPad and the picture quality is fab. Costs peanuts as well. If anyone's interested I use my service with a firm called 123 UKTV. Just Google them and you will find them easily.
I don't trust 123uktv, they don't accept paypal and want a credit card given to subscribe. Seems like a scam to me although the Skygo demo was nice.
Old Nov 1st 2012, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

BBFLBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by US-Ammer
I don't trust 123uktv, they don't accept paypal and want a credit card given to subscribe. Seems like a scam to me although the Skygo demo was nice.
It's no scam. I've used them for months now and they are a good bunch. Always respond to support emails and very helpful.

Frankly, I don't trust websites that use PayPal who's terms are as draconian as they come. Surely a company that processes credit cards is more professional as you are covered by fraud protection?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.