Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Should we stay (UK) or should we go (USA)

Should we stay (UK) or should we go (USA)

Old Jan 11th 2017, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

Just_Joy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Should we stay (UK) or should we go (USA)

The Electoral College is an anachronistic joke
Yes, but it will take a constitutional amendment to change it. So until that time we're stuck with it.
A bit like both of the lead candidates
Blame that on the primary system
Old Jan 11th 2017, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Getting back to the OP, if your other half is a carpenter and you're planning a move to Chicago then he needs to look at getting a union card if he wants to work on bigger projects. Also this might be useful...? Current Wage Sheet | Carpenters Union Local 13
Old Jan 13th 2017, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

pejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by london_calling
Why didn't Sarah Palin's continued popularity cause you to feel the same way? That lady has sold millions of books and is literally adored across America. At least Trump has a brain on him.
How anyone can listen to the man speak for more than a few minutes and come to the conclusion that he is anything more than an intellectual vacuum, is utterly beyond me. The man is an absolute simpleton.

Palin's popularity did cause me to feel that. My point was, I thought that the US had sunk as low as it could when Palin emerged on the political scene, and more specifically, I didn't think the Republican party could sink any lower. Unfortunately, I was wrong.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 5:49 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Why didn't Sarah Palin's continued popularity cause you to feel the same way? That lady has sold millions of books and is literally adored across America.
What? What do you base this on? Sarah Palin is a joke to everyone I know--and lost the election for John McCain....

According to today's Huffington Post, she's not even popular in her home state of Alaska any more.
Sarah Palin 'fatigue' diagnosed in Alaska poll
Old Jan 14th 2017, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

london_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
What? What do you base this on? Sarah Palin is a joke to everyone I know--and lost the election for John McCain....

According to today's Huffington Post, she's not even popular in her home state of Alaska any more.
Sarah Palin 'fatigue' diagnosed in Alaska poll
I was basing that on her book sales and the fact her 'endorsement' in this election was considered newsworthy.

America is generally much stupider than the people you know.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

london_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejp
How anyone can listen to the man speak for more than a few minutes and come to the conclusion that he is anything more than an intellectual vacuum, is utterly beyond me. The man is an absolute simpleton.
I hate the guy too, but you have to admit it takes more than an average mind to build a business empire. Takes even more to appeal to Joe Public despite that.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 3:20 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
The Electoral College is an anachronistic joke. A bit like both of the lead candidates.
England is geographically the size of a state, America is the size of all of Europe. The American States are States. Much like individual countries. Also we don't have a Parliamentary system of government (where the majority rules) we have minority rights (the small states are equal to the large states). Politically, you're not in England anymore.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 4:42 am
Just Joined

J1101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I'm a mother to a 7 year old came to NYC from Britain over ten years ago .. will be my 11th Year this year. My husband is a born and raised NYer. His cuz next door is a carpenter and does well with his union job, he gets paid full rate when unemployed for a certain period of time ... good health benefits etc. The issue is that he procured his union job in the eighties and I've heard it's really hard to get into a union as a newcomer or at least that's how it is in NYC.. I'd try to find out about unions in Chicago ..if it's like NYC it may be difficult to get in, I get the impression in NYC there's a lot of nepotism. Secondly are you from Chicago? If so is the family you have there the type to babysit for free - if not consider having no life for yourself because it will be very hard to ever get a baby sitter you feel comfortable with. 'Y husband's family are here but they're not available for baby sitting .. I left my son with a neighbor a handful of times when I had to work and it was a nightmare (she only spoke Spanish .. my husband is bilingual) however she was responsible but my son has additional needs and they could not handle it and as a result I could no longer do night work. I took a massive pay cut because of that (I used to manage busy Manhattan restaurants at night). I am now in nursing school and work part time, my husband does ok but it's a struggle here in NYC - we just signed up for Obamacare again and I don't know how we will make January payment ($690 for my husband and I.. my son has a separate insurance plan). It's also worth noting that our apartment in Manhattan is rent stabilized )so cheaper than market rate as my husband has had lease since early eighties) and we still scrape by paying all the bills (we do not own a car). It's incredibly expensive here, yes I'm in Manhattan but my rent is comparable to someone else's living in a cheaper state.. and it's still hard. I have a wisdom tooth that I still haven't had out and the list goes on. As far as jobs for you go - work experience over education is very relevant - wondering what work you've done in human rights. I can think of some not for for profits here like Safe Horizon and I can think of some other positions that would require state legal knowledge (family justice centers etc).The baby sitter issue will be very difficult for you without family to do it free or low cost. I wish I could move back to the UK. Trump is terrible but I wouldn't let that put you off. I was here when Bush was in and we made it .. the healthcare is a huge issue though and baby sitter.

Last edited by J1101; Jan 17th 2017 at 4:46 am.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 11:14 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

I was basing that on her book sales and the fact her 'endorsement' in this election was considered newsworthy.
You said Sarah Palin was not only popular but "adored" across America. I would say that large book sales 8 years ago--just after she helped lose the election for John McCain--are an indication of neither.... So your logic seems off here.

People love to read autobiographies of those who are unpopular & hated. In fact books written by disliked public figures undoubtedly sell better than those of the truly "adored".

America is generally much stupider than the people you know.
Is this true where you live?
Old Jan 19th 2017, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

transatlantic_chap is an unknown quantity at this point

This is something I have been wondering about a lot lately.

I am a dual US/UK citizen, and lived in the US from 1998 to 2009 and since then I have been in the UK. There are pros and cons to both places, but lately the cost of living/quality of life comparison has me leaning back towards the US. I love so many things about Britain (especially the history, culture, natural beauty and proximity to Europe) but ever since arriving here I have never really felt like I was making it, but rather just scraping by, mainly due to the low salaries and high cost of living.

When you add in Brexit, things start to look even bleaker. I am immensely saddened and to some degree frightened by the incoming president Trump (ugh...) but at least he is only for four years (if he makes it that far) whereas the change in the UK appears to be permanent.

I dunno, you guys, what do you reckon. It feels to me kind of like a 'Titanic or Hindenburg?' situation. If you are grappling with this, what kind of factors are you considering, and which way are you leaning?
Old Jan 19th 2017, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by transatlantic_chap
This is something I have been wondering about a lot lately.

I am a dual US/UK citizen, and lived in the US from 1998 to 2009 and since then I have been in the UK. There are pros and cons to both places, but lately the cost of living/quality of life comparison has me leaning back towards the US. I love so many things about Britain (especially the history, culture, natural beauty and proximity to Europe) but ever since arriving here I have never really felt like I was making it, but rather just scraping by, mainly due to the low salaries and high cost of living.

When you add in Brexit, things start to look even bleaker. I am immensely saddened and to some degree frightened by the incoming president Trump (ugh...) but at least he is only for four years (if he makes it that far) whereas the change in the UK appears to be permanent.

I dunno, you guys, what do you reckon. It feels to me kind of like a 'Titanic or Hindenburg?' situation. If you are grappling with this, what kind of factors are you considering, and which way are you leaning?
Hey, I'm also debating this. I've always been in the uk but have been to US a lot (visited more states than many Americans it appears!).

Brexit vs Trump. Trump might be ok, brexit may not happen. The way I see it the biggest problems with Trump are likely global, being in US for that reason is probably about the best place to be! Brexit likely to hurt the UK, but only the UK.

I'd like to achieve an international lifestyle where US / UK / Europe is a flight away. Ambitious maybe but possible I think.

Trump has made me reluctant and think twice, I'm watching closely. Brexit gives me reason to do it. Sort of a hedge. Unless both are bad, then it's really bad.

I suppose unlike those of you who've done this and decided one way or another, we never have and so I think we may have big regrets if we don't try it and see. For the first year I'll treat as extended working holiday.

We already own a house and so part of that ambition already fulfilled. Which gives a chance for some fun and adventure.

I don't know though, it's tricky. Being poor in either is no fun but with a good job and decent funds both are a total blast. I will miss Europe for sure, we'll be back often.

The other factor for me is this is a good career move / progression with a decent job, so that is important.

I guess you'll always find people from US moving to uk and vice versa. People who moved and love it, some who hate it. The opertunuties are exciting and the world is an amazing place

So I guess I'm leaning to US but really to both. I don't see them exclusive options. You're even luckier with dual passport.

In any case if not clear now, in a year or two it will likely be much clearer, as we see how things unfold.

Last edited by LouisB; Jan 19th 2017 at 9:47 am.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

Psyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouisB
In any case if not clear now, in a year or two it will likely be much clearer, as we see how things unfold.

I think that's my approach now. As soon as trump was elected I wanted to move back to the UK immediately. Now I am starting to hear about potential effects of brexit on the UK (weakened pound, high import costs, inflation recession etc) and don't want to move back to a situation where I might get laid off within a year or so (my job is related to the construction industry) especially now I have a family to support. If I was still single with no kids I'd sit back and enjoy the trump show in the US.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bewildering
You will have family to stay with, the 'Chicago area' is great, and you can always return to England. You will both get jobs eventually. Just go and enjoy yourselves for a year. Then see how things feel.

Go for at least a year. That 1st 6 months is tough as you get accustomed to the small differences.
I'd agree with this in some situations, but not the OP. They have a kid which makes things much more difficult. My wife and I had a sit down about 2 years ago and made a decision on whether we wanted to stay in the UK or make the move to the US. We decided on the latter and because of that we also decided to put off starting a family until we had jobs in the US.

That said, I moved here last summer and job hunting has taken longer than I expected. I did restrict myself for 3 months just by looking in one city we wanted to move to (Boise ID) but there really was no work for a Machanical Engineer with my background so now I'm looking mostly in the South East where there is a large Auto sector, but also nationwide. You can be the most skilled peron in the world, but especially if you have a purely UK work history, be prepared for a potential long wait for work.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Psyman
I think that's my approach now. As soon as trump was elected I wanted to move back to the UK immediately. Now I am starting to hear about potential effects of brexit on the UK (weakened pound, high import costs, inflation recession etc) and don't want to move back to a situation where I might get laid off within a year or so (my job is related to the construction industry) especially now I have a family to support. If I was still single with no kids I'd sit back and enjoy the trump show in the US.
Yeah, it's difficult because no one really knows just yet.

If I were in your situation I would wait and see, not rush. Brexit could be the worse thing, or brexit might even work out well (or be abandoned). With Trump anything is possible.

Weak £ is disappointing, although you'd get 20% more for your $ right now that's no good if you're earning in £ and want to move back later. £ vs Euro is better and more stable but who knows what will happen with the Euro.

I'm not really a fan of brexit, I think it's a bad idea based on blaming wrong causes and so won't fix things, it will make new issues though. I don't see the human race's future in raising the drawbridges and I'm already international so I can't even relate to it.

Needless to say other than a hit to fx rates, there's been practically no impact of brexit so far but the future is now uncertain.

Which part of the US are you in out of interest?

I wouldn't rush back to the UK right now, wait it out. Unless Trump goes off the rails...
Old Jan 20th 2017, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

Psyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouisB
Yeah, it's difficult because no one really knows just yet.

If I were in your situation I would wait and see, not rush. Brexit could be the worse thing, or brexit might even work out well (or be abandoned). With Trump anything is possible.

Weak £ is disappointing, although you'd get 20% more for your $ right now that's no good if you're earning in £ and want to move back later. £ vs Euro is better and more stable but who knows what will happen with the Euro.

I'm not really a fan of brexit, I think it's a bad idea based on blaming wrong causes and so won't fix things, it will make new issues though. I don't see the human race's future in raising the drawbridges and I'm already international so I can't even relate to it.

Needless to say other than a hit to fx rates, there's been practically no impact of brexit so far but the future is now uncertain.

Which part of the US are you in out of interest?

I wouldn't rush back to the UK right now, wait it out. Unless Trump goes off the rails...
I am in Oregon. I have a great job and earn more than I would in the UK. But life is about being happy, not being rich. Although having enough money does obviously help to make you happy. I don't have any financial connections with the UK such as having to transfer money etc., although any savings I have now would go further if we moved back. I say "back" but my partner and kids have never lived there which is another hurdle to get over psychologically. Just read a bit of trump's speech (cant face watching or listening to him). I want to vomit again, just like I did on election night. I was at Obamas inauguration 8 years ago. So much more positivity then, mostly dashed of course by the republicans refusing to govern.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.