Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Should we stay (UK) or should we go (USA)

Should we stay (UK) or should we go (USA)

Old Jan 10th 2017, 8:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Should we stay (UK) or should we go (USA)

Originally Posted by pejp
This election result has made me question if I want to stay here or not. It's been 9 years now, but I'm not sure I can stay. I thought that Sarah Palin being in the race for VP meant that'd I'd seen everything...that this country couldn't sink any lower, but it has, and I can only see it getting worse. I don't think any of Trump's proposals will affect me, if implemented, but the fact that nearly half the country voted for him is truly scary. I'm not particularly liberal, I don't have any love for the Democratic Party, and certainly none for Hilary, but the fact that he was seen as anything other than a joke, is absolutely ridiculous. I think comparing Trump to the vote for Brexit is a moral equivalency stretch that I don't see how anyone can make. I just don't think I want to live in a country where literally millions of people can't see through such a complete and obvious con man. I can kind of understand voting for him as a protest, or if someone really hated Hilary that much, but the fact that people actively defend him is absolutely mind boggling to me. Nearly half of Republicans believe the 'pizzagate' conspiracy, and over half believe that God created the Earth and that evolution is just an unproven theory. I just don't know if I want to live in a country like this anymore.
When you are feeling triggered do not forget that BE is your Safe Space.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

pejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
When you are feeling triggered do not forget that BE is your Safe Space.
Any other tired cliches you wish to roll out while you're at it? 'Cuck'? 'Snowflake?' Anything original you wish to say?
Old Jan 10th 2017, 8:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cuck is news to me. So sort of original.
Old Jan 11th 2017, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

joannon, I don't believe Trump should be on your list of considerations.

More to the point, you said your family is there, are they willing to assist you financially? Health insurance would be a big concern to me, I would not live in the US without it. I don't doubt that both of you could find jobs within 60-90 days in Chicago but the issue would be underemployment, would those jobs be ones you would be happy with and would they pay you market rate?

I am in a field somewhat related to Human Rights. Is there a particular reason why you would need to be in Chicago to develop your career, and not London? I would have thought plenty of opportunities for that in London.

Having the flat in the UK is a good insurance policy. Is it paid off? If you are coming to the US with a child, no jobs, no health insurance, and an existing mortgage in the UK - maybe that is too much risk unless the families are willing to provide ironclad financial assistance.
Old Jan 11th 2017, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

london_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejp
This election result has made me question if I want to stay here or not. It's been 9 years now, but I'm not sure I can stay. I thought that Sarah Palin being in the race for VP meant that'd I'd seen everything...that this country couldn't sink any lower, but it has, and I can only see it getting worse.
Why didn't Sarah Palin's continued popularity cause you to feel the same way? That lady has sold millions of books and is literally adored across America. At least Trump has a brain on him.
Old Jan 11th 2017, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

Just_Joy is an unknown quantity at this point

but the fact that nearly half the country voted for him is truly scary

No actually half the country didn't even bother to vote ....... that's the really scary thing.
Old Jan 11th 2017, 12:46 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Just_Joy
No actually half the country didn't even bother to vote ....... that's the really scary thing.
Actually, you are wrong.

57.9 percent of eligible voters cast ballots in the 2016 presidential election.

Projections from the United States Elections Project show that there were 231,556,622 Americans eligible to vote, but 138,884,643 voted. That means that 40 percent didn’t vote, while 60 percent did. The voter turnout will likely increase as the popular vote continues to be counted.
Old Jan 11th 2017, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

That means that 40 percent didn’t vote

Half/40% semantics. Point is a large percentage of the population do not have enough interest in their government to get out and vote. And, saying that half the country voted for Trump is a gross overstatement.
Old Jan 11th 2017, 12:58 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

The scary thing is that the votes cast were ignored anyway.
Old Jan 11th 2017, 1:05 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Half/40% semantics. Point is a large percentage of the population do not have enough interest in their government to get out and vote. And, saying that half the country voted for Trump is a gross overstatement.
Whoa! Who said 1/2 the country voted for Trump? Not me, that's for sure.

40% is 10% less than your post and it is not semantics. Those are the number who voted not the number of who voted for Trump or Hillary.

One thing few people take into consideration is that EITHER CHOICE WE WERE GIVEN WAS A SHIT CHOICE. So many felt "Why vote?"

For the Brexit Ref 72.2% came out to vote. At least I looked it up before quoting a percentage. And that is not saying who voted which way. So 27.8% didn't come out to vote for Brexit.
Old Jan 11th 2017, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

Whoa! Who said 1/2 the country voted for Trump
This election result has made me question if I want to stay here or not. It's been 9 years now, but I'm not sure I can stay. I thought that Sarah Palin being in the race for VP meant that'd I'd seen everything...that this country couldn't sink any lower, but it has, and I can only see it getting worse. I don't think any of Trump's proposals will affect me, if implemented, but the fact that nearly half the country voted for him is truly scary.
My original comment about half the country not voting was based on this.
Old Jan 11th 2017, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

The scary thing is that the votes cast were ignored anyway

I don't understand what you mean by this
Old Jan 11th 2017, 1:18 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand what you mean by this
The "popular vote" doesn't count. Therefore your vote doesn't count.

Not that it matters as both sides are comically unfit to govern.
Old Jan 11th 2017, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

The "popular vote" doesn't count. Therefore your vote doesn't count
The Electoral College usually casts it's votes based on who wins the popular vote in that state, so yes your vote does count. Also your vote for senator/representative determines the make up of congress.
Old Jan 11th 2017, 1:40 pm

The Electoral College usually casts it's votes based on who wins the popular vote in that state, so yes your vote does count. Also your vote for senator/representative determines the make up of congress.
The Electoral College is an anachronistic joke. A bit like both of the lead candidates.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.