Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Should we stay (UK) or should we go (USA)

Should we stay (UK) or should we go (USA)

Old Jan 9th 2017, 5:23 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should we stay (UK) or should we go (USA)

Originally Posted by bewildering
You will have family to stay with, the 'Chicago area' is great, and you can always return to England. You will both get jobs eventually. Just go and enjoy yourselves for a year. Then see how things feel.
Are you going to be paying to raise and provide for their child when they arrive here with limited funds, then can't find decent work for months having to go without health insurance (or paying grossly excessive amounts for insurance) despite having a new born child?

Moving to the US in their situation is ****ing *stupid*.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Are you going to be paying to raise and provide for their child when they arrive here with limited funds, then can't find decent work for months having to go without health insurance (or paying grossly excessive amounts for insurance) despite having a new born child?

I agree.

I haven't been here all that long, but can categorically say that life would suck here for someone who had limited funds.

Also, the uncertainty of not having health insurance, especially with a kid, would wreck me. I was fortunate enough that my wife has a good job and I was able to have it from day 1 (I got married the day after arriving in the USA).

At the absolute very least give it a couple months after inauguration day to see how things may start to pan out with the new President!
Old Jan 9th 2017, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
A good carpenter can be in demand...depending on location, Chicago not so much. Many areas in the US are in the midst of a housing building mini boom. Obviously where the population is moving to is a great start, such as the west coast, southwest and gulf coast. Great lakes region...no. Many areas around there are LOSING population.
New construction in Nashville is booming to the point that not enough skilled labor can be found. It has gotten to the point that local government has gotten involved trying to increase school training programs and apprenticeships.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 9:14 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joannon
We are due to inmegrate to the US from UK at some point this year, husbands green card is all ready to go, social security card for him sorted ect...
You yourself have British citizenship, I assume? Just checking! It gets more difficult for US/UK couples to jump back to the UK if both don't have UK citizenship...
Old Jan 10th 2017, 3:20 am
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace

As the OP stated, her family are there to support. IMO the risks are small and the opportunity is high.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

skyland235 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by joannon
So you are moving back to London? How long have you been in NYC total before you moved?

I think that if we didn't try I would always have the "what if" and that can eat away at you!
This is so true!! and the only reason why we are now trying to delay the process and keep options open- as per my other post our F3 Immigrant Visa is now so close to completion but due to other reasons we are now not in a position to make an immediate move...I wish to try and keep options open without abandoning the Green card and so am looking at all means possible to keep this alive without actually making an immediate move to the US
Old Jan 10th 2017, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

off_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond repute

Trump an influence? Maybe and I cant tell someone how to feel, but it was a worry but I won't let it affect any decisions that I have. Ok, full disclosure and I live in CA, so the chances of some of the more bizarre rules / laws getting passed here are pretty limited - the State of CA recently employed a bunch of lawyers with the expressed responsibility to focus on NOT taking Trump rules / laws etc.....

That said though, Trump is for 4 years, Brexit is for life....

Sorry, had to make that joke, but I would suggest that a lot of the more important parts are really focused around the state and not necessarily at the federal level. While the president can make some wider judgements, chances are it will take a few years before anything new will be felt - though tax cuts might be nice.

Worst case for Trump is not much happens - which isnt that bad since the US economy isnt that bad. Some parts are better than others, but its far from a terrible place. IF, and its a big massive stonking huge IF, he gets it right and the economy grows, then it will be really interesting to see. Who knows though....
Old Jan 10th 2017, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by off_again
Trump an influence? Maybe and I cant tell someone how to feel, but it was a worry but I won't let it affect any decisions that I have. Ok, full disclosure and I live in CA, so the chances of some of the more bizarre rules / laws getting passed here are pretty limited - the State of CA recently employed a bunch of lawyers with the expressed responsibility to focus on NOT taking Trump rules / laws etc.....

Sorry, had to make that joke, but I would suggest that a lot of the more important parts are really focused around the state and not necessarily at the federal level. While the president can make some wider judgements, chances are it will take a few years before anything new will be felt - though tax cuts might be nice.

Worst case for Trump is not much happens - which isnt that bad since the US economy isnt that bad. Some parts are better than others, but its far from a terrible place. IF, and its a big massive stonking huge IF, he gets it right and the economy grows, then it will be really interesting to see. Who knows though....
You Californians have your own state created bizarre rules/laws to worry about.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

off_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
You Californians have your own state created bizarre rules/laws to worry about.
Yeah, I did read the other day about a Roseville man getting fined $128 for leaving his car running. I didnt think twice about it being Roseville CA, but only later did someone mention it was Michigan.... kinda sums up living in California.... its weird and you get used to it!
Old Jan 10th 2017, 5:54 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bewildering
As the OP stated, her family are there to support. IMO the risks are small and the opportunity is high.
Will they be paying the health insurance costs?
Old Jan 10th 2017, 5:55 pm
Banned

Yeah, I did read the other day about a Roseville man getting fined $128 for leaving his car running.
Seems fair to me. There's no need to leave a car running for >5 minutes, unless you're in the middle of no where and the noise pollution doesn't effect others.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

pejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond repute

This election result has made me question if I want to stay here or not. It's been 9 years now, but I'm not sure I can stay. I thought that Sarah Palin being in the race for VP meant that'd I'd seen everything...that this country couldn't sink any lower, but it has, and I can only see it getting worse. I don't think any of Trump's proposals will affect me, if implemented, but the fact that nearly half the country voted for him is truly scary. I'm not particularly liberal, I don't have any love for the Democratic Party, and certainly none for Hilary, but the fact that he was seen as anything other than a joke, is absolutely ridiculous. I think comparing Trump to the vote for Brexit is a moral equivalency stretch that I don't see how anyone can make. I just don't think I want to live in a country where literally millions of people can't see through such a complete and obvious con man. I can kind of understand voting for him as a protest, or if someone really hated Hilary that much, but the fact that people actively defend him is absolutely mind boggling to me. Nearly half of Republicans believe the 'pizzagate' conspiracy, and over half believe that God created the Earth and that evolution is just an unproven theory. I just don't know if I want to live in a country like this anymore.

Last edited by pejp; Jan 10th 2017 at 7:26 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

Psyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejp
This election result has made me question if I want to stay here or not. It's been 9 years now, but I'm not sure I can stay. I thought that Sarah Palin being in the race for VP meant that'd I'd seen everything...that this country couldn't sink any lower, but it has, and I can only see it getting worse. I don't think any of Trump's proposals will affect me, if implemented, but the fact that nearly half the country voted for him is truly scary. I'm not particularly liberal, I don't have any love for the Democratic Party, and certainly none for Hilary, but the fact that he was seen as anything other than a joke, is absolutely ridiculous. I think comparing Trump to the vote for Brexit is a moral equivalency stretch that I don't see how anyone can make. I just don't think I want to live in a country where literally millions of people can't see through such a complete and obvious con man. I can kind of understand voting for him as a protest, or if someone really hated Hilary that much, but the fact that people actively defend him is absolutely mind boggling to me. Nearly half of Republicans believe the 'pizzagate' conspiracy, and over half believe that God created the Earth and that evolution is just an unproven theory. I just don't know if I want to live in a country like this anymore.

Totally agree with all of this. I still can't fathom how trump could possibly be President and "leader of the free world". I don't blame him for being a poor excuse for a human being, but I do blame those that voted for him, and don't want to be around those kind of people. I told my girlfriend over a year ago that if he won we'd move to England, but it was mainly as a joke, as I thought there was zero chance of him winning. We are looking into it, but with 2 kids and all the trappings (possessions) of modern life, needing to find a job there from 6000 miles away or have lots of money saved up, its a lot to get done. Our kids pediatrician and his Danish wife are moving to Denmark as a result of the election. OK, cue comments of "don't let the door hit you....etc etc"

As far as finding work as a carpenter, you should check that construction techniques are the same in the US as the UK. Could be quite a few differences that would mean he would find himself short of knowledge and so not so easy to get a job. Switching from metric to imperial measurements would be a pain in the backside too (I had to do it for my work).

Last edited by Psyman; Jan 10th 2017 at 7:44 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by pejp
This election result has made me question if I want to stay here or not.
Originally Posted by Psyman
OK, cue comments of "don't let the door hit you....etc etc".
Quit... you're making me well up
Old Jan 10th 2017, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.