Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shipping vs airfreight advice

Shipping vs airfreight advice

Old Jan 20th 2017, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

drunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shipping vs airfreight advice

We are heading off to the USA from Scotland soon and looking for shipping advice from anyone who has done it.

We are only going for 2 years, eldest child is taking over the house while we're away, so no rental/tenant issues.

We aren't taking furniture or anything large, or won't work properly. Taking clothing, stereo and personal bits and pieces (photos, artwork etc).

Have looked at shipping but that can take 10 weeks. Is airfreight a viable option (we aren't paying so cost not prohibitive)? Given that it's only a ton of boxes, would air be better?
Old Jan 21st 2017, 12:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Shipping vs airfreight advice

For a small shipment you may find that the freight forwarder you use will push you towards air freight. When my father died I shipped his tools in some trunks and tool boxes - probably around 20cuft (two foot stack on a standard metric (GKN, blue) pallet), but dämñ were they heavy!

I was in no hurry to receive them in the US, I just wanted a cheap way to ship them. I was advised that despite the weight, the extra handling meant that there was little or no benefit to surface shipping, so they were air-freighted.
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

drunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping vs airfreight advice

Thank Pulaski. I've contacted some companies for quotes just to get the ball rolling.

Seems to be loads based down south, but Scottish ones are thin on the ground.
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I used a freight handling and clearance company at Glasgow Airport and they were super-efficient. Can't remember the name now. Old Age !
Old Jan 25th 2017, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

catlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond repute

I would definitely check out https://www.sendmybag.com/. For 30kg its £103 (+4 pounds for each additional). Clear pricing, trackable and takes 3 days. You can only send boxes or suitcases though.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone.

Sendmybag doesn't seem to be an option unfortunately. We would need to pack & take the stuff to the airport ourselves, then at the other end they are only delivered to a main hub airport, so it's not direct to the airport we need (Columbia), i.e. They send it on one flight only...we are 2/3 flights to Columbia.

Have got a few quotes now from some companies, so thanks everyone. As long as we can take some of our whisky I'll be happy!
Old Feb 1st 2017, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

Macruss is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you very much for the sendmybag.com tip, this turns out to be the best option for me by quite a bit. Not sure why op said that it wasn't suitable for them as it is a door to door service.....I'll definitely be using them for sending my extras from UK to Houston.
I've got two weeks until my arrival and then for the first few weeks I've got loads to do arranging permanent accommodation, vehicle, bank acct, SSN, Health Insurance, Car & Property Insurance etc etc. It really is a big upheaval!
Old Feb 1st 2017, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

The Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really nice

How many boxes of stuff do you actually have to send?
Old Feb 1st 2017, 11:19 pm
Just Joined

@ The Moose: I'm being really ruthless and only have about 100kg (so 4 med-large suitcases) of stuff to send over. From what I can see, sendmybag.com is about 50% cheaper than other door to door options...
Old Feb 1st 2017, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

The Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really nice

Fair enough. For what it's worth, I just sent about 300kg of stuff with ParcelHero. FedEx collected them from my wife in the UK and delivered them to me about a week later.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 11:31 pm
Just Joined

I hadn't heard of Parcelhero, shows how good my research is. I will take a gander now.....thanks Da Moose!
Old Feb 1st 2017, 11:40 pm
Just Joined

ParcelHero appears to beat sendmybag on first inspection...can you send suitcases/boxes, same as sendmybag? my plan was to use old-style suitcases and then just bin them once I unpack.

Any other pearls of wisdom for a novice? I'm currently like a rabbit in the headlights with everything going on...any advice gratefully received :-)
Old Feb 1st 2017, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

I just boxed everything up and sent it. No idea if they'll take suit cases - call their number. Surprisingly they're very helpful.

ParcelHero was the best price I could find to FedEx my stuff. I sent about $20,000 of stuff and $300 of breakages (probably packaging issues really), no loss. Was happy with that.
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 2:01 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Most airlines allow "excess baggage" up to 8 pieces for a fee. You can contact your airline to see what that fee is and then compare vs. a shipper or air freight. One advantage is you have all your "pots and pans" on arrival at the airport so you can use them day 1 at your new home. (I also recommend an "hour one" suitcase with cleaning supplies, paper cups and plates, and some snacks--i.e. things you'll need in the very first hour of arriving in your home).

FWIW I wouldn't underestimate your needs at a new place, even if a year or two. MANY things you can buy here of course, often for quite a bit cheaper, but the expense of "placemats and coat hangers" as I call it (the odds and ends you'll find you need) will add up. I swear I spent the first three months here buying things I said "oh I don't need to take that I'll just get one on arrival" only to discover I was spending quite a bit on those sort of items.
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

catlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Macruss
Thank you very much for the sendmybag.com tip, this turns out to be the best option for me by quite a bit. Not sure why op said that it wasn't suitable for them as it is a door to door service.....I'll definitely be using them for sending my extras from UK to Houston.
I've got two weeks until my arrival and then for the first few weeks I've got loads to do arranging permanent accommodation, vehicle, bank acct, SSN, Health Insurance, Car & Property Insurance etc etc. It really is a big upheaval!
No problem. We have all this to do as well! It's challenging isn't it. I will check parcel hero too (reading through your later posts). Good luck with the move!