Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shipping a few boxes/excess baggage

Shipping a few boxes/excess baggage

Old Feb 21st 2017, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

elizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shipping a few boxes/excess baggage

Hi we are trying to get a few boxes of items over to the USA before we move in July (hopefully) we looked at the post office and the prices are crazy!! We have about 5 boxes and possible if we can't pack them all in our suit cases we might have to ship some clothes too. Who have you found the most reliable??

We have thought about maybe getting an extra suitcase or a couple but we are having a stop in Miami before flying to Charlotte and I'm not sure if we will need to pay excess baggage twice?

Just want to get stuff we need over. Thanks

Kelly
Old Feb 21st 2017, 10:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping a few boxes/excess baggage

Originally Posted by elizabethsmum
Hi we are trying to get a few boxes of items over to the USA before we move in July (hopefully) we looked at the post office and the prices are crazy!! We have about 5 boxes and possible if we can't pack them all in our suit cases we might have to ship some clothes too. Who have you found the most reliable??

We have thought about maybe getting an extra suitcase or a couple but we are having a stop in Miami before flying to Charlotte and I'm not sure if we will need to pay excess baggage twice?

Just want to get stuff we need over. Thanks

Kelly
Always worth taking a peep in the BE Wiki.

Shipping Via Airfreight : British Expat Wiki
Old Feb 21st 2017, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

The Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really nice

I found ParcelHero to be the cheapest when I shipped over some stuff earlier this year.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

elizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Always worth taking a peep in the BE Wiki.

Shipping Via Airfreight : British Expat Wiki
Ah fab! Ty so much.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Moose
I found ParcelHero to be the cheapest when I shipped over some stuff earlier this year.
I will check them out, thanks.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 2:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

If you book the flights as a complete journey you only have to pay one lot of excess baggage. It can be a bit of a hazard after a visit back to the UK
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

The last time I flew over I took excessive baggage on American and they never charged extra... though could possibly have been my status with them. If you do need to take extra then don't volunteer to pay - let them ask you.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 8:05 am
Banned

jsted is an unknown quantity at this point

Any solutions for doing the reverse I.e a few boxes/baggage from US to UK??
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

The Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really nice

Originally Posted by jsted
Any solutions for doing the reverse I.e a few boxes/baggage from US to UK??
I think the service I recommended does the other way also?
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
The last time I flew over I took excessive baggage on American and they never charged extra... though could possibly have been my status with them. If you do need to take extra then don't volunteer to pay - let them ask you.
You were lucky. Most airlines are getting very strict about excess baggage, and the charges for anything more than one extra bag are often quite high.
Old Mar 1st 2017, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

Cami123 has a reputation beyond reputeCami123 has a reputation beyond reputeCami123 has a reputation beyond reputeCami123 has a reputation beyond reputeCami123 has a reputation beyond reputeCami123 has a reputation beyond reputeCami123 has a reputation beyond reputeCami123 has a reputation beyond reputeCami123 has a reputation beyond reputeCami123 has a reputation beyond reputeCami123 has a reputation beyond repute

We shipped some boxes with MoveCorp - can't tell you if they are any good as they are not due to arrive for another 8 to 12 weeks (though it apparently could take much longer... all moving companies have terrible reviews online so it is hard to tell if only the angry post online or if companies truly are the antichrist) - we took excess baggage of about 20 kg with us and paid dearly for it. We had no alternative, with the boxes shipping so slowly, we just needed to take some essential stuff with us, but with Norwegian the excess baggage cost more than the flight ticket for one of us. Ridiculous!