Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shipping company recommendations UK to US

Shipping company recommendations UK to US

Old Jun 24th 2015, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping company recommendations UK to US

Originally Posted by alternageek
Damn didnt think of that.

I'm now really looking into sharing a container as thats bringing quotes for the same price...

AngloPacific and Robinsons have quoted the same price (just under £1K plus US border exam - approx $100 - plus insurance)
Though googling have not brought back good reviews of AP.. Robinsons seems to be more positive.
If it is just one pallet a shared container for a thousand pounds seems high.

There are companies in the UK ship LTL ( Less Than Load) containers into Miami on a regular basis.

It would take more effort on your part in fact you would need to source a pallet, pack it and take it to a loading facility.

We ship engines and use heavy duty plastic crates originally for battery transport.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

alternageek will become famous soon enoughalternageek will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
If it is just one pallet a shared container for a thousand pounds seems high.

There are companies in the UK ship LTL ( Less Than Load) containers into Miami on a regular basis.

It would take more effort on your part in fact you would need to source a pallet, pack it and take it to a loading facility.

We ship engines and use heavy duty plastic crates originally for battery transport.
yeah, its why im just going to do my boxes in a shared container instead... seems to have knocked a bit off the price and make it more reasonable. I wanted the crate, as it would be raised and more likely to keep my more precious things (records, pc tower) dry and less likely to get damaged.

For the records (theyre the most expensive thing im bringing over and they cant be sold), may just have to use the kind of crate they put china in.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 12:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alternageek
yeah, its why im just going to do my boxes in a shared container instead... seems to have knocked a bit off the price and make it more reasonable. I wanted the crate, as it would be raised and more likely to keep my more precious things (records, pc tower) dry and less likely to get damaged.

For the records (theyre the most expensive thing im bringing over and they cant be sold), may just have to use the kind of crate they put china in.
Get some "DJ cases" to put them in before they are boxed and wrapped for shipping. Check yellow pages/ yell.co.uk for a club/ DJ business - it will likely be off the beaten track in an industrial park, and they will have those heavy duty cases that DJ's use to carry their records around. I still keep my LPs in them, and I have the same sort of cases for CDs.

Tip: you mighy even then need to cut some cardboard liner pieces to protect the record sleeves and make a snug fit for the records.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

alternageek will become famous soon enoughalternageek will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Get some "DJ cases" to put them in before they are boxed and wrapped for shipping. Check yellow pages/ yell.co.uk for a club/ DJ business - it will likely be off the beaten track in an industrial park, and they will have those heavy duty cases that DJ's use to carry their records around. I still keep my LPs in them, and I have the same sort of cases for CDs.

Tip: you mighy even then need to cut some cardboard liner pieces to protect the record sleeves and make a snug fit for the records.
Tah...
I'm kind of limited of where I can go to get things as I dont have a UK driving license, nor do I own a car atm (oddly, I'm scheduled to take my road test in a month). But that is something to think about when the time gets closer.