Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shall I be worried about who wins in november?

Shall I be worried about who wins in november?

Old Jul 20th 2016, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shall I be worried about who wins in november?

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
On the other hand, if Latino voters turn out...

Clinton Beats Trump Among Latinos 76 Percent to 14 Percent - NBC News
Won't that depend if they can get time off work to vote . That is assuming they are registered to vote
Old Jul 20th 2016, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Won't that depend if they can get time off work to vote . That is assuming they are registered to vote
I thought it was illegal to not give time off to vote.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I thought it was illegal to not give time off to vote.
It varies State by State, some do some don't and of those who do it is often unpaid time off

http://www.findlaw.com/voting-rights-law.html
Old Jul 20th 2016, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

off_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond repute

Response on the original question - I am a GC holder (as are my two kids and wife), and it was a massive relief when that came through, as it would have been easy to pull funding for the immigration process and hence delay processing for extended periods of time.

That said though, as a few others mentioned, the POTUS doesnt have overall powers on everything. Its a powerful position, but you have congress and the individual states to get past. While its not a great example, an American friend talked about the marijuana laws - federally its still not legal, but states can (and do) make their own laws. POTUS could ban it all, but states have legal methods to challenge and overrule.

And thats the problem - if Trump does get in, he is going to get so tied up in the courts that he's not likely to get anything through. Force Apple to bring manufacturing into the USA? Good luck, all Apple needs to do is string it out in court for 4 years.

With GC stuff, its also legal based too. I would love to see what they think they can do, but practically the government is going to get challenged on every point, change or adjustment to policy. Think of those thousands of lawyers who will line up to take them to court....