Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shall I be worried about who wins in november?

Shall I be worried about who wins in november?

Old Jul 14th 2016, 11:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shall I be worried about who wins in november?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
He's going to put some rustbelt states in play that were thought to be safe Dem/ Dem leaning. The choice of the Indiana governor as VP is a smart move for Trump.
Maybe yes maybe no. Indiana is usually fairly strong GOP anyway so that will probably not change. Though he is certainly not a very popular Gov right now. His stance on abortion in particular panders heavily to evangelicals. Doubt he'll win many women over. Many of his positions are in direct opposition to positions Trump has taken (e.g trade).
Old Jul 14th 2016, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
if Hillary wins, may be interesting with May and Merkel also being women leaders of significant States.
Well, Merkel anyway ...
Old Jul 15th 2016, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Nobody of reasonable mind really wants Trump to win the election...
If that were the case then I don't think we'd still be talking about him. There are several people close to us who are neither racist nor of unsound mind but still prefer Trump (or anybody else) over Hilary.
Old Jul 15th 2016, 2:34 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
.... Nobody of reasonable mind really wants Trump to win the election, ...
That's seems to be an sweeping condemnation of, by all accounts, almost half the US electorate at the moment.
.... but even if he does, he's never going to be able to impose the ridiculous crap he campaigns on. More likely, just a waste of four years.
So like the last six years then!
Old Jul 15th 2016, 8:37 am
Just Joined

UserNameHere is an unknown quantity at this point

What do you think "class" means here? Do you think it is limited to nationality ? The most worrying bit is it says "any aliens"

Whenever the President finds that the entry of any aliens or of any class of aliens into the United States would be detrimental to the interests of the United States, he may by proclamation, and for such period as he shall deem necessary, suspend the entry of all aliens or any class of aliens as immigrants or nonimmigrants, or impose on the entry of aliens any restrictions he may deem to be appropriate.
Old Jul 15th 2016, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UserNameHere
What do you think "class" means here? Do you think it is limited to nationality ? The most worrying bit is it says "any aliens"

Whenever the President finds that the entry of any aliens or of any class of aliens into the United States would be detrimental to the interests of the United States, he may by proclamation, and for such period as he shall deem necessary, suspend the entry of all aliens or any class of aliens as immigrants or nonimmigrants, or impose on the entry of aliens any restrictions he may deem to be appropriate.
Anyone who believes that stopping the travel of Muslims would make the current situation any better is, quite frankly, stupid.
I can understand your concerns regarding the future conditions of entry but I'd have thought you'd be better off directing your energy towards clearing the current hurdles put in front of prospective immigrants.
Old Jul 15th 2016, 11:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Anyone who believes that stopping the travel of Muslims would make the current situation any better is, quite frankly, stupid.
I can understand your concerns regarding the future conditions of entry but I'd have thought you'd be better off directing your energy towards clearing the current hurdles put in front of prospective immigrants.
It will make things worse tbh.

We are trying to. My contract ended a month ago so I'm looking for a job again and will not be able to show support for sponsorship either. I don't know when I'll get work again. I do think by the time we are finally married it will probably be late.

Trump has a good chance of winning based on the fact that people hate trump yet they are undecided about voting for hillary(leaning towards not voting for her), this will probably mean a lot of people might not vote at all and the turnup of hardcore trump supporters will amount to a win. This is what I have learnt from speaking to people anyway.

Last edited by UserNameHere; Jul 15th 2016 at 12:01 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2016, 2:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... Trump has a good chance of winning based on the fact that people hate trump yet they are undecided about voting for hillary(leaning towards not voting for her), this will probably mean a lot of people might not vote at all and the turnup of hardcore trump supporters will amount to a win. This is what I have learnt from speaking to people anyway.
Your sample might not be representative.
Old Jul 15th 2016, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

Your sample might not be representative.
That can be a good thing. It might mean my statistics are biased and Hillary will win.
Old Jul 15th 2016, 2:24 pm

That can be a good thing. It might mean my statistics are biased and Hillary will win.
You're aware of the gap between what the opinion polls predicted and what happened with the Brexit vote?

I am "on the ground" so to speak, and in what is considered to be a "battle state", and I am already seeing a lot more people supporting Trump and his stance, and rather fewer Hilary supporters than I had expected to see. The "anyone but Trump" bumper stickers seem to have largely disappeared.

The polls are already reporting a close race with an edge to Trump, and just like in the UK, the pre-election polls have underestimated the Republican/ Conservative vote for decades.
Old Jul 15th 2016, 2:26 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
if Hillary wins, may be interesting with May and Merkel also being women leaders of significant States.
One thing, could you please tell me which states May and Merkel lead, I wasn't aware that the EU was part of the USA, at least not yet..
Old Jul 15th 2016, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

You're aware of the gap between what the opinion polls predicted and what happened with the Brexit vote?

I am "on the ground" so to speak, and in what is considered to be a "battle state", and I am already seeing a lot more people supporting Trump and his stance, and rather fewer Hilary supporters than I had expected to see. The "anyone but Trump" bumper stickers seem to have largely disappeared.

The polls are already reporting a close race with an edge to Trump, and just like in the UK, the pre-election polls have underestimated the Republican/ Conservative vote for decades.
I was only trying to be optimistic.
Old Jul 15th 2016, 2:29 pm

yes I know. I was only trying to be optimistic.
So am I.
Old Jul 15th 2016, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

So am I.
About trump becoming president?
Old Jul 15th 2016, 2:34 pm
Aoi
Forum Regular

Aoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
One thing, could you please tell me which states May and Merkel lead, I wasn't aware that the EU was part of the USA, at least not yet..
May and Merkel are leaders of member states of the European Union.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.