Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Sending copy of Green card

Sending copy of Green card

Old Sep 27th 2015, 2:18 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sending copy of Green card

You need to prove that you don't have this apartment anymore don't you? Why not just final utility bills showing end of service?
Old Sep 27th 2015, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Tess4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for the replies, i thought it proved i lived here, guess i was wrong! Unfortunately all the utility bills here are in my husband's name so thats a no-go but i do have a bank statement which also has my name on it and so I think i will do that. Also have the document which i filled out in Vienna for my post to be forwarded so that will also be good. He really only wants it to be super fast for me, otherwise a simple letter from me will suffice, which states i am cancelling the insurance. I'd rather go with the fast way since the bill just came in and is due in October so would prefer to avoid paying that. I just dont feel comfortable sending copies of my GC even though i am possibly being a tad paranoid
Thanks again everyone.
Old Sep 27th 2015, 4:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

If you wanted to be super paranoid, you'd consider the street price a Syrian refugee in Austria is willing to pay for a greencard right now.
Old Sep 27th 2015, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

on another note. I had posted a while back about whether i need to change my name on my passport to the name (married name) on my GC. We were going back to Vienna to close up my apartment etc. I didnt have time to do the change, so took the risk. I obviously wasnt worried about going into Europe as i had my passport and the GC was not an issue. Coming back we werent so sure. Landed in an airport that has the machines where you scan in your passport/green card etc. Then the fingerprints.......i failed miserably there...not sure why but it didnt like my fingerprints! We got the paper that spewed out, and went on our way, didnt notice it had a big cross in it. Went to immigration officer, everything was fine. My maiden name on passport and married name on GC....wasnt an issue. Has anyone else not changed their passport to their married name? Just curious about different experiences.
Old Sep 27th 2015, 4:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tess4
on another note. I had posted a while back about whether i need to change my name on my passport to the name (married name) on my GC. We were going back to Vienna to close up my apartment etc. I didnt have time to do the change, so took the risk. I obviously wasnt worried about going into Europe as i had my passport and the GC was not an issue. Coming back we werent so sure. Landed in an airport that has the machines where you scan in your passport/green card etc. Then the fingerprints.......i failed miserably there...not sure why but it didnt like my fingerprints! We got the paper that spewed out, and went on our way, didnt notice it had a big cross in it. Went to immigration officer, everything was fine. My maiden name on passport and married name on GC....wasnt an issue. Has anyone else not changed their passport to their married name? Just curious about different experiences.
I think some people carry a copy of their wedding certificate just in case. Obviously the ticket name must match the passport name.
Old Sep 27th 2015, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
If you wanted to be super paranoid, you'd consider the street price a Syrian refugee in Austria is willing to pay for a greencard right now.
I will dismiss your utterly inappropriate comment. I lived in Austria for 30 years.....I am aware, unlike yourself, of what it is to be an immigrant. I am part Croatian.......go do your maths sir_eccles! My family were part of that, and so was I, there is NOTHING you can tell me that i dont know about that. Shame on you for mixing things that simply dont mix. You're the oil in the mayonnaise that i make when it goes wrong; separation, not amalgamation.

Last edited by Tess4; Sep 27th 2015 at 4:52 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2015, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I think some people carry a copy of their wedding certificate just in case. Obviously the ticket name must match the passport name.
Thats what we did, as advised here, and it wasnt necessary, for us, but we still had it with us, each one a copy....we were taken to the immigration officer together.
Old Sep 28th 2015, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

My maiden name on passport and married name on GC....wasnt an issue. Has anyone else not changed their passport to their married name? Just curious about different experiences.
Our daughter once flew from Texas to Quebec to join us in an apartment we were renting. She had neglected to change her passport to her married name and the tickets for her and her husband were in her married name. The airline let her on the first flight as she had her driving license with her married name on it but warned her that might not be enough for subsequent flights so she called the friend who was looking after her cats and asked her to dig out her wedding certificate, take a photo of it and email it to her. The photo of the wedding certificate plus driving licence in her married name seemed to work okay but she was a bit stressed out when we picked them up from the airport.
Old Sep 29th 2015, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

cautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond repute

If I was in that position, I would have a notary sign a letter confirming that I live in the US, which I would hopefully be able to prove with a letter of verification of employment, recent bank statement, recent pay slip and a copy of my I94.
Old Sep 29th 2015, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Durham, i can imagine your daughter was stressed out! We have only travelled once to europe since i came here, and the tickets were in the name of my passport. I dont have a drivers license, so my passport is all that i have along with the GC. We had the marriage certificate with us, but it wasnt necessary. As long as your tickets have the name in your passport that is what counts. It appears to me from our last trip that it doesnt matter if your passport has your maiden name and your GC has your married name, for immigration purposes, not flying. You guys have it easy, no name change LOL
Old Sep 29th 2015, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Durham, i can imagine your daughter was stressed out! We have only travelled once to europe since i came here, and the tickets were in the name of my passport. I dont have a drivers license, so my passport is all that i have along with the GC. We had the marriage certificate with us, but it wasnt necessary. As long as your tickets have the name in your passport that is what counts. It appears to me from our last trip that it doesnt matter if your passport has your maiden name and your GC has your married name, for immigration purposes, not flying. You guys have it easy, no name change LOL
Our daughter has now been divorced 3 years but she has kept her married name rather than go through all the hassle of name changes again.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 10:21 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I really only wanted to ask your opinions on in general, sending a copy of a GC for whatever reason. I wasnt aware that the green card does not prove that i live in the States????? I couldnt have one unless i lived here. It therefore is proof that i live here.
No it's not, it's legally an alien registration card, it shows you're registered as an alien in the US but not that you live in the US. A State ID or DL would be the more logical choice.

Anyway I was just posting here because although 8 USC 1304(e) requires you to have your card on you "at all times" it really boils down to your Alien Registration Number, so carrying a photocopy is typically enough to satisfy run-ins with Border Patrol as they can look you up on their system and look at the photo with the Alien Number.

BP can actually ticket you for not having your card on you. I think it's $100, but for some odd reason the tickets are usually for $80.

Long story short it's a good idea to memorize your A# on your card.
Old Oct 3rd 2015, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

Heading_Baltimore is an unknown quantity at this point

@Sir_eccles I am sure you for all it is worth that your comment on the Syrian refugees was innocent, but it is nonetheless insensitive and careless. We are all immigrants, at least 99.5% of us here - regardless of our reasons of migrating.
Old Oct 3rd 2015, 1:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Heading_Baltimore
@Sir_eccles I am sure you for all it is worth that your comment on the Syrian refugees was innocent, but it is nonetheless insensitive and careless. We are all immigrants, at least 99.5% of us here - regardless of our reasons of migrating.
(i) His comment is entirely fair. I don't see how you get from what he said to "careless and insensitive". If you don't think that there is a thriving international market it stolen and forged travel documents, (Sir_Eccles just mentioned the current largest market for such documents) you need to wake up and smell the coffee.
(ii) BE is not Twitter. Please use the quote function so we can see which post you are referring to.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 3rd 2015 at 1:10 pm.
Old Oct 3rd 2015, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

Heading_Baltimore is an unknown quantity at this point

Good morning Pulaski! You are obviously trying to pick a 'fight' this morning . You knew what comment I was referring to and OP would totally disagree with you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.