Reload this Page >

Sending copy of Green card

Sending copy of Green card

Old Sep 26th 2015, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Tess4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sending copy of Green card

Hi all,

I need to cancel my home insurance in Europe, forgot about that one! A friend of mine takes care of all this for me, an insurance broker, whom i have known for many years. He asked for any document that shows i live here, which of course is the Green Card, i dont have any other document to prove that. Might be a stupid question, but is it ok to send a copy of my Green Card....obviously i trust him, but just wanted some feedback on whether its "ok" to do that.
Thanks
Tess
Old Sep 26th 2015, 10:28 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sending copy of Green card

I don't understand why it is needed, but yes send it. It is not a secret document or anything.
Old Sep 26th 2015, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Rich, like i said, they need proof that i live here.....although to be fair i dont get it either, since i am simply cancelling my contract with them.....
Old Sep 26th 2015, 10:59 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Do you still own the home? Is there some law in your country that insurance must be maintained on (occupied ) homes you own?

The Green Card only proves you are eligible to live in US, it does not prove you do not live in Europe
Old Sep 26th 2015, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

nope dont own the home and never did, a simple rental, i just forgot to cancel the insurance. My friend is just helping to make it go quicker as i cant cancel with an email has to be a letter, my bad, and i left it too late as the next bill is due in October, so i want to get it done....havent been very organised on that front! He's just speeding up things as he is the one that sold me that insurance, as a broker, or whatever its called. I agree, the GC doesnt prove i do not live in Europe. It proves i live here and thats it....should be fine, and if they need more proof i can send the documents which show i gave up the apartment.
Old Sep 26th 2015, 11:26 pm
BE Irregular

Originally Posted by Tess4
nope dont own the home and never did, a simple rental, i just forgot to cancel the insurance. My friend is just helping to make it go quicker as i cant cancel with an email has to be a letter, my bad, and i left it too late as the next bill is due in October, so i want to get it done....havent been very organised on that front! He's just speeding up things as he is the one that sold me that insurance, as a broker, or whatever its called. I agree, the GC doesnt prove i do not live in Europe. It proves i live here and thats it....should be fine, and if they need more proof i can send the documents which show i gave up the apartment.
The red bit would have been my first move. Now it sounds like your friend is after your GC info. Sounds fishy. What country are we talking about?
Old Sep 26th 2015, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

yep i should have thought of that myself, he isnt fishing for anything, have known him for 20 years....just wants me to get the insurance cancelled with his help, as he is the one that sells their insurance.....it was really about whether its ok in general to send a copy of ones GC. He didnt ask for the GC, but asked for any proof i have of living here, and thats all i have. We're talking Austria, and again, he's been my friend for 20 years
Old Sep 26th 2015, 11:43 pm
BE Irregular

OK then. Austrians never do bad things
Old Sep 26th 2015, 11:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

So you're saying you don't have a single piece of mail with your US address on?
Old Sep 26th 2015, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

did i say that Sir_eccles?
Old Sep 27th 2015, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

A green card does not prove that you live in the States. All it shows is that you are allowed to be a PR!

Do you have a copy of a utility bill in your name? I would send that instead.
Old Sep 27th 2015, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

I really only wanted to ask your opinions on in general, sending a copy of a GC for whatever reason. I wasnt aware that the green card does not prove that i live in the States????? I couldnt have one unless i lived here. It therefore is proof that i live here.
Old Sep 27th 2015, 1:29 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I really only wanted to ask your opinions on in general, sending a copy of a GC for whatever reason. I wasnt aware that the green card does not prove that i live in the States????? I couldnt have one unless i lived here. It therefore is proof that i live here.
No, it is not.

The point is that you could leave the US the day you receive your green card and still have it, with a current validity date, for a further ten years.

In summary of the advice you've been given above, a green card proves you did* live in the US, it does not prove you do live in the US.

* If you obtained your green card by way of a marriage more than two years ago, it is possible to have obtained a ten year green card with nothing more than a U-turn visit to a US airport, i.e.you have never lived in the US, and our friendly immigration attorney, S Folinsky, has cited such a case previously in his posts here on BE.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 27th 2015 at 1:32 am.
Old Sep 27th 2015, 1:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

I need to cancel my home insurance in Europe, forgot about that one! A friend of mine takes care of all this for me, an insurance broker, whom i have known for many years. He asked for any document that shows i live here, which of course is the Green Card, i dont have any other document to prove that. Might be a stupid question, but is it ok to send a copy of my Green Card....obviously i trust him, but just wanted some feedback on whether its "ok" to do that.
Thanks
Tess
Find a notary, take a piece of paper and write down that you live in the US, get notary to stamp it.
Old Sep 27th 2015, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

A green card is not really proof that you live in the U.S. It doesn't even have an address on it. It might be proof that you used to live in the U.S. at one point. Many people who don't currently live in the U.S. have green cards. Of course, it might be accepted as proof which is all you want - but it might not.

It's better to send something that has your name, address and a recent date. If you own or rent a property, you should have at least one document that proves where you live (mortgage statement, property tax bill, rental lease). What about a driver's license? Utility bills? Cell phone bill? Bank statement? Credit card statement? Medical bill? Car insurance cards? Car title? Car registration? You don't have to include any sensitive info - just something with your name, address and a date.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Sep 27th 2015 at 1:45 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.