Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

semi move to US

semi move to US

Old Oct 6th 2014, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: semi move to US

Lots & lots of good caveats that I can't advise on. Although I know a fair few Canuck "Snowbirds" who seem to manage very well. (Hint: post #15 might be applicable...).

However, assuming the OP is a UK citizen, normally resident in the UK, a search of both the forum, & google, for long term (& even, age regardless, backpacker) travel insurance, might prove useful.

S
Old Oct 6th 2014, 1:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Presumably does not cover routine stuff that you would expect to have in Canada and focusses mainly on getting you back if serious?
Old Oct 6th 2014, 1:11 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Lots & lots of good caveats that I can't advise on. Although I know a fair few Canuck "Snowbirds" who seem to manage very well. (Hint: post #15 might be applicable...).

However, assuming the OP is a UK citizen, normally resident in the UK, a search of both the forum, & google, for long term (& even, age regardless, backpacker) travel insurance, might prove useful.

S
When I looked Backpacker etc had age limits, 40 from memory.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
When I looked Backpacker etc had age limits, 40 from memory.
Not all companies, no. I'm well over 40, travelling partner over 60, & we have received firm, personalised, quotes from 3 companies for a <6 month overseas trip next year.

S
Old Oct 6th 2014, 1:25 am
Account Closed

UK or Canada resident?

My Mum has passed away but it was getting to the point that for a 3 week trip the flight cost and the travel insurance cost were similar, UK.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

UK or Canada resident?

My Mum has passed away but it was getting to the point that for a 3 week trip the flight cost and the travel insurance cost were similar, UK.
My mum too . (A UK resident). Up until the last 6 months before her death, she was getting a great travel insurance deal from Saga for upto 175 days/year out of the country. She paid a supplement the last year of her life (I'd have to look up how much, but it was reasonable) because of travelling over 175 days.

(Sorry, a bit OT for the OP).

S
Old Oct 6th 2014, 2:44 am
Account Closed

My Mum used to use Saga but they got very expensive, can not remember who we last used.

Maybe age but she could not get long term cover.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Presumably does not cover routine stuff that you would expect to have in Canada and focusses mainly on getting you back if serious?
I think you can only buy the insurance if covered by a provincial health plan. I suppose that if things get too serious, the insurance will try to get you back by whatever means, so the provincial coverage can take over.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 3:42 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amie06
I will probably corrected by those more knowledgeable but, Visa Waiver will allow you 90 days in the US, then you will need to return to UK for a period of time, .....
You are correct, but as has already been mentioned, the OP is retired/retiring, and will almost certainly be able to get a B2 visa which will enable visits of up to 6 months, though as has been pointed out, recurring annual visits beyond 122 days can have scary tax consequences.
Old Oct 7th 2014, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

cocokaren is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry I know I'm probably being really dense but what is OP? Thanks for replies everyone :-D
Old Oct 7th 2014, 4:32 pm
Account Closed

Original Poster
Old Oct 19th 2014, 7:47 am
Just Joined

Dixie101 has a reputation beyond reputeDixie101 has a reputation beyond reputeDixie101 has a reputation beyond reputeDixie101 has a reputation beyond reputeDixie101 has a reputation beyond reputeDixie101 has a reputation beyond reputeDixie101 has a reputation beyond reputeDixie101 has a reputation beyond reputeDixie101 has a reputation beyond reputeDixie101 has a reputation beyond reputeDixie101 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess my own plans could also be called a 'semi move' to the US so this is an interesting thread. Travel/medical insurance for longer than 31 days is possible but of course comes at a price. My current annual worldwide insurance, which includes a pre existing medical condition, costs £240 (with Staysure). I am limited to holidays of 31 days or less but have been told I can extend to 60 days for an additional premium. It's also important to check the Ts&Cs of your home insurance policy as that may be invalidated if your UK home is left empty for more than a month at a time. With regard to tax, I think the UK and US has a reciprocal agreement so nobody can be taxed twice? I need to look more into that. A growing number of UK pensioners are spending a few months in sunnier climes to escape the cold winter. Everything is doable, it just needs careful planning and enough funds.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 12:32 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dixie101
With regard to tax, I think the UK and US has a reciprocal agreement so nobody can be taxed twice? I need to look more into that.
That is a bit of an understatement. Trust me you do not want to open yourself up to US taxation or the time, trouble, worry and expense of having to apply the US/UK tax treaty to your own situation. As long as you stay less than 121 days each year in the US you will avoid US taxation and the bottomless pit of horror that is cross border, multi-jurisdiction tax law.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dixie101
I guess my own plans could also be called a 'semi move' to the US so this is an interesting thread. Travel/medical insurance for longer than 31 days is possible but of course comes at a price. My current annual worldwide insurance, which includes a pre existing medical condition, costs £240 (with Staysure). I am limited to holidays of 31 days or less but have been told I can extend to 60 days for an additional premium. It's also important to check the Ts&Cs of your home insurance policy as that may be invalidated if your UK home is left empty for more than a month at a time. With regard to tax, I think the UK and US has a reciprocal agreement so nobody can be taxed twice? I need to look more into that. A growing number of UK pensioners are spending a few months in sunnier climes to escape the cold winter. Everything is doable, it just needs careful planning and enough funds.
For 6 month medical cover, I used 90 days from my Bank card and topped up the other 90 days from either April or Europe Assistance, it was not expensive and I made a couple of successful claims. The max cover was around $200,000, which should be enough to get you back to the NHS or whatever.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by audio
For 6 month medical cover, I used 90 days from my Bank card and topped up the other 90 days from either April or Europe Assistance, it was not expensive and I made a couple of successful claims. The max cover was around $200,000, which should be enough to get you back to the NHS or whatever.
I'm not an expert but $200K doesn't sound like enough to cover a serious emergency to me.

I'm sure others who are more knowledgeable will be along.

Lx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.