Reload this Page >

schools houston ???

schools houston ???

Old Feb 5th 2016, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

debbie1992 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: schools houston ???

Originally Posted by markcst
As someone who has gone through the conversion to the Texas School system just make sure you are prepared to do some work beforehand to make sure your kids get what they need and deserve.

1) Get reports from their current school which breaks down their current level of education, the subjects they have done, the amount of time they spent on each and their achievement in each. Ironically its the hours things that seems to matter most to councilors who will place your kids in class and give them credits.

2) Be prepared, no matter where you think they are for your kids at High school level to be put in a catchup lab or classes. This happened to my son, who is WAY ahead on Physics and Maths compared to kids here and is now, ironically because he zoomed through the catchup, got bored, and did a load of other modules in catchup, even further ahead, such that the Physics teacher he now has wants him in year above classes, but the councilor is refusing... US schools don't get that GSCEs are ahead of what they do, at the same age, is the long an short of that anecdote.

3) Immunizations. Texas schools are strict. If your kids haven't at least started the course of injections, they'll stay at home until they have. BTW they also have the saying no kid left behind...

4) ACTUALLY when you are in the system its great. My daughter is blooming and my Son, despite all the messing him about, is getting a more rounded education rather than him being able to become Sheldon Cooper. (Not that I have a problem with knowledge, I'd just rather he understood there was more to life than String Theory).

5) Just remember where you live picks the school in the Texas public system, there are no exceptions. Make sure you check that your area is NOT being rezoned in the next few years too. The biggest criticism I hear from locals is rezoning of schools. It can literally just be a change of a couple of feet and your door is in a different zone next year.
#5 is so important. This why we picked to send our kid to a Charter school. There's the inconvenience of having to get her to school ourselves, but greater stability.
Old Feb 5th 2016, 2:51 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I can't help you with a particular houston school but to add a little bit more to markcst's advice...

USnews does an annual ranking of high schools which I know for my area is pretty much spot on in terms of the quality of education at the schools. You might want to take a look at it for PUBLIC schools in Houston. Top Texas High Schools | Best High Schools | US News - US News

My kids are doing/have done the international baccalaureat and it is a very challenging course that they have enjoyed, so you might want to see if the good public high schools also offer that course. It attracts the brightest students who are prepared to work hard. last year, at my kids' HS here in Austin, the top 10 kids were all IB candidates.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 3:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

We have our kiddos in preschool now. We simply can't justify the expense of BISH, AWTY, Village or even Yorkshire Academy. Most people we know sending their kids to these schools have the education subsidy with their package here.As we do not, we researched the various church-based schools and picked a very nice, small preschool (they have a k-12 as well), that is half the price of the others. Our cachement area in Cy-Fair for elementary is abysmal. We DO know we won't do public schools, so this gives us some nice education with reasonable cost and a few years to figure out if we are staying or going back to Aberdeen.If they were in high school, having already started the IB programs, we'd find a way to pay for BISH. We have twins, which is pricey!
Old Feb 12th 2016, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bomjeito
We have our kiddos in preschool now. We simply can't justify the expense of BISH, AWTY, Village or even Yorkshire Academy. Most people we know sending their kids to these schools have the education subsidy with their package here.As we do not, we researched the various church-based schools and picked a very nice, small preschool (they have a k-12 as well), that is half the price of the others. Our cachement area in Cy-Fair for elementary is abysmal. We DO know we won't do public schools, so this gives us some nice education with reasonable cost and a few years to figure out if we are staying or going back to Aberdeen.If they were in high school, having already started the IB programs, we'd find a way to pay for BISH. We have twins, which is pricey!
I have to admit I'm surprised by your thinking. Which elementary school in CFISD are you zoned to that's so bad it deserves being called "abysmal"? Our eldest has been in three different elementary schools (Sampson, Warner and Pope), and they've all been good. I understand some in the eastern parts of the district are worse, though.
Old Feb 14th 2016, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778
I have to admit I'm surprised by your thinking. Which elementary school in CFISD are you zoned to that's so bad it deserves being called "abysmal"? Our eldest has been in three different elementary schools (Sampson, Warner and Pope), and they've all been good. I understand some in the eastern parts of the district are worse, though.
Aye, we are in the southeastern part of Cy-Fair. Kirk is our elementary. In the high school opening day 2015, 4 kids were hospitalized from a knife fight. Could be my perspective, however I'd like my kids to go to school with experiences less concerning.

I am very aware of great schools in Cy-Fair, and apologize if sounding like I was disinclined to every school in the district. We didn't know we were having kids so when we bought, we didn't care the school district. So now the decision to do private schools or move.