Reload this Page >

Schools For 7/8 Year Old

Schools For 7/8 Year Old

Old Oct 17th 2017, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

Jsmith is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Schools For 7/8 Year Old

Hi All,

My wife and I are planning on emigrating to US on E2 visa next year (2018) and would really like some general advice from people on this forum about schools. My daughter is currently in Year 3 at our local school in UK (US = 2nd Grade).

By the time we land in US, she will be ready for 3rd Grade (US). We would really like to understand:
1. What was the process of getting the kids into school?
2. How long does it take?
3. Did anyone have to home-school any of their kids whilst waiting to gain entry to school?
4. How did people on this forum find their kids transitioning into the US school system?
5. Did you have to move accommodation to get into the schools that you desired?

If there are already some threads on this I apologise (still new to this forum!) - and please point me in the right direction.

If however you guys could shed some light on this I would be really grateful!

Look forward to hearing from you guys.

Thanks,
J
Old Oct 17th 2017, 2:10 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools For 7/8 Year Old

Originally Posted by Jsmith
Hi All,

My wife and I are planning on emigrating to US on E2 visa next year (2018) and would really like some general advice from people on this forum about schools. My daughter is currently in Year 3 at our local school in UK (US = 2nd Grade).

By the time we land in US, she will be ready for 3rd Grade (US). We would really like to understand:
1. What was the process of getting the kids into school?

2. How long does it take?
3. Did anyone have to home-school any of their kids whilst waiting to gain entry to school?
4. How did people on this forum find their kids transitioning into the US school system?
5. Did you have to move accommodation to get into the schools that you desired?

How long? Depends on how long it takes you to find a house and get the lease signed. If you have a good realtor you can identify possible houses beforehand, visit them in one day, make your mind up that day, then get the lease application done (24 hours?) sign the lease and you're done.
If you're getting temporary accomodation then make sure it is within the school boundaries and take the bill/lease to the school and your kid should be able to start straight away.

If there are already some threads on this I apologise (still new to this forum!) - and please point me in the right direction.

If however you guys could shed some light on this I would be really grateful!

Look forward to hearing from you guys.

Thanks,
J
Process:
You must be living within the school boundaries and have a lease in hand to show the school in order to register.
So, find a good school first. Generally, good high schools have good feeder schools .USNews High School rankings is a good source. If you ask on BE for specific areas, someone may be able to help.
Once you've identified a school, you get a house/apartment with the lease signed.
Check vaccination requirements for your State, these are usually listed on the school website under the "enrollment" with all the forms. Your child must have had all the mandatory vaccinations prior to starting school.

Then you show up at the school with the following documents
vaccination certificate
full birth certificate
proof of address

complete the registration process and your child goes straight to classes.

Last edited by petitefrancaise; Oct 17th 2017 at 2:19 pm.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Be prepared to sign forms in triplicate!

In terms of the educational difference I understand it will vary by state. Where we are, with an 8 year old but 7 when we moved, he joined in October, so had missed two months of the new school year. That was a challenge to begin with, but he's fully up to speed now a year later. The teaching reminds me very much of old school, pardon the pun, in so far as it's very regimented and based largely on repetition. For our son, that has been a huge plus because he was struggling in the UK school system.

We have a 17 year old and her transition was much more painful and she is finding the teaching leaves a bit to be desired, so is doing a lot of self study.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 6:22 pm
Living the NYC dream

kateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond repute

What grade she'll be in depends on the month she was born and the state. If she's born after September 1st, 2009, in some states she'll be 2nd grade and in some states she'll be in 3rd grade. Where I live, New York City, you generally go to the public school in which you're zoned. There are other public options, but mid-school year, you'll probably be stuck with the zoned school. I imagine that once you register her with proof of address and vaccinations, she can start immediately.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

Hi Everyone

Thanks for all your messages and information - they were all really helpful.

We are pretty much set on the district or Roseville and have seen a couple of elementary schools out there and were pretty pleased with what we saw.

Did any of you have to top up any vaccinations on your children prior to entering US or did you carry out the vaccinations once you touched down?

Thanks again for all your helpful info!

J
Old Oct 17th 2017, 11:05 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Vaccination requirements are determined by each State.

This is a link to the California requirements. From looking at it, I think you should be OK coming from the UK depending on when the last tetanus/dipthera/Pertussis was given
http://eziz.org/assets/docs/IMM-1080_School.pdf
Old Oct 21st 2017, 11:02 am
Just Joined

Skala123 is an unknown quantity at this point

We moved here last week wit our seven year old. We registered at school on Tuesday and she started on Thursday. Wednesday she saw a doctor to get a full health check which they need for school. She had to have three jabs and needs some more next month. In the U.K. we have DTAP after they are 3yrs old but here it needs to be after they’re 4 so she needed that booster. Plus flu jab (not a nasal spray here). Also the kids need hep b jabs here which is three in total done four weeks apart. If you’re not moving imminently it might be worth getting some of them done in the U.K. to spread them out a bit! I am in NJ though so do check state guidelines wherever you are going.
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 7:07 am
Just Joined

Hi

Really appreciate your reply. I have downloaded the California guidelines for childrens' vaccinations so hopefully that is a great start and we will be able to work out what's needed.

I am glad that getting the child into the schooling system is not too onerous over there.

Thanks again!
J