Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Save As You Earn (SAYE) Maturity Imminent

Save As You Earn (SAYE) Maturity Imminent

Old Jul 31st 2016, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

renzomullany is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Save As You Earn (SAYE) Maturity Imminent

Hi. I'm hoping someone can help me figure out my tax liability for a UK SAYE scheme that matures at the end of this year.

As a background, I moved to the US almost 2 years ago. Had I still been resident in the UK, I understand that I would have had a zero CGT tax liability since the gain will be below the 11k threshold.

If this now has to be reported on my US tax return, do I include it on my UK tax return too, and how do I avoid being charged tax twice (Im unsure as to how the UK CGT allowance applies to ex-pats)? Also, if it is liable to US tax and I hold for 1 year before selling, would I would be liable for the reduced CGT rate? Will this UK employee stock purchase program be treated the same as a US employee stock purchase program and so (dis)qualified position rules will apply?

Thanks for any help you can provide

Last edited by renzomullany; Jul 31st 2016 at 11:04 pm.