Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

To San Diego or not to San Diego?

To San Diego or not to San Diego?

Old Mar 19th 2011, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

JustSomeGuy has much to be proud ofJustSomeGuy has much to be proud ofJustSomeGuy has much to be proud ofJustSomeGuy has much to be proud ofJustSomeGuy has much to be proud ofJustSomeGuy has much to be proud ofJustSomeGuy has much to be proud ofJustSomeGuy has much to be proud ofJustSomeGuy has much to be proud ofJustSomeGuy has much to be proud ofJustSomeGuy has much to be proud of
Default To San Diego or not to San Diego?

We have been talking about where to settle when my immigrant visa is granted and we both love the idea of a fresh start in San Diego.

But reading around it seems to me that the San Diego immigration authorities seem to be among the strictest in the country (I’m thinking mainly about the Adjustment of Status on VWP thing that’s happening at the moment).

Is this my imagination? Would we be safer or less likely to be put through the immigration ringer (for want of a better description) settling elsewhere...?
Old Mar 19th 2011, 3:49 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To San Diego or not to San Diego?

Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy
We have been talking about where to settle when my immigrant visa is granted and we both love the idea of a fresh start in San Diego.

But reading around it seems to me that the San Diego immigration authorities seem to be among the strictest in the country (I’m thinking mainly about the Adjustment of Status on VWP thing that’s happening at the moment).

Is this my imagination? Would we be safer or less likely to be put through the immigration ringer (for want of a better description) settling elsewhere...?
You aren't going to have a lot of interaction with 'immigration authorities' when you arrive with an Immigrant Visa. You will be a PR on entry.

You will have one other petition to file in the future, I-751. This will have minimal local office input.

This is your imagination. The relative strictness of an immigration office should have zero bearing on choosing where to live. The only immigration wringer people are put through these days is a result of their own poor planning or case execution. Not to say errors don't happen, but not to everyone and not all the time.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

JustSomeGuy has much to be proud ofJustSomeGuy has much to be proud ofJustSomeGuy has much to be proud ofJustSomeGuy has much to be proud ofJustSomeGuy has much to be proud ofJustSomeGuy has much to be proud ofJustSomeGuy has much to be proud ofJustSomeGuy has much to be proud ofJustSomeGuy has much to be proud ofJustSomeGuy has much to be proud ofJustSomeGuy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by meauxna
You aren't going to have a lot of interaction with 'immigration authorities' when you arrive with an Immigrant Visa. You will be a PR on entry.

You will have one other petition to file in the future, I-751. This will have minimal local office input.

This is your imagination. The relative strictness of an immigration office should have zero bearing on choosing where to live. The only immigration wringer people are put through these days is a result of their own poor planning or case execution. Not to say errors don't happen, but not to everyone and not all the time.
Cheers
Old Mar 19th 2011, 4:12 pm
redruM

southerncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nice

Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy

I'd be more worried about coming into SD looking like Jimmy Nail.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by southerncomfort
I'd be more worried about coming into SD looking like Jimmy Nail.
Ha ha well spotted!
Old Mar 20th 2011, 2:40 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

San Diego is beautiful but remember its a kinda dead end unless you are thinking of visiting Mexico on a frequent basis.