Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Salary in NY as an expat

Salary in NY as an expat

Old Dec 24th 2010, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salary in NY as an expat

Originally Posted by CTland
$500/month for health insurance also sounds too low- suspect this figure should be $900 to $1,100/month and you should expect co-pays of around $30-50 each doc visit and even $500 for an emergency room visit...be real careful with this part of your offer. What seems like a good health plan to a US worker might not be the same thing to someone who is used to the NHS
Good luck
That really all depends on the company and the quality of the plan - the health plan that I have (which is a very good one) only costs about $60 per month per person covered - so that would only come to about $250 (pre tax) per month.

Does the OP know how his company came up with the $95k figure? Did that come from the UK organization or the US and is it base on his existing UK salary or on something else? In any case it would probably be a good idea for the OP do some research to find out what salaries in NY are like for people in his field with a similar level of experience.

Also, even if you do end up with a salary is sufficient to cover your living expenses don't forget that the "one time" costs of relocation can be substantial - security deposits for an apartment, buying furniture and household goods and at least one car plus all of the other little expenses can easily set you back tens of thousands of dollars in the first few months. (having said that if you are actually in NY city itself you may be able to manage without a car - if you are outside - say in NJ - you will definitely need one - quite possibly two).
Old Dec 24th 2010, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamesanding
So 95k is my starting point for negotiating as this is what they have come in with first it is probably the bottom end of what they will pay. If I get the salary up to 110 or 115 would that make life a bit more affordable/comfortable?
It will definitely help, but (without knowing anything about your skills or current salary) I would probably aim for something higher - ask for $135k and back up that claim with data on salaries for comparable jobs in the US and hope to get at least $125k.
Old Dec 24th 2010, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

jamesanding is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by md95065
It will definitely help, but (without knowing anything about your skills or current salary) I would probably aim for something higher - ask for $135k and back up that claim with data on salaries for comparable jobs in the US and hope to get at least $125k.
Thanks - great advice in both posts.
I'm an IT Project Manager so it looks like (from looking on places like salary.com) that I should be getting paid anywhere between 100 and 130k so I'll probably go in with the higher end of the scale and see what they come back with.
I got the $500 per month amount for medical from my potential new manager in NY. She said that, like me, she has a family of 4 and her medical is $500 per month for full cover. So it's probably a company plan...

I've been looking at areas and rental costs in Queens and Brooklyn and another place that has come up with quite good rental is Kensington in Brooklyn. Hows that area?
Old Dec 24th 2010, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

Untitled 3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been looking at areas and rental costs in Queens and Brooklyn and another place that has come up with quite good rental is Kensington in Brooklyn. Hows that area?
I don't know Kensigton that well. I do hope your company is providing you with accommodation when you arrive as you will need it to give you time to find the right place. I'd start with checking out schools first then find an apartment in that zone. You can't leave the choice of neighborhood to bunch of strangers on the internet, you need to visit those places yourself and see how they feel.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

Neko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud of

Thanks - great advice in both posts.
I'm an IT Project Manager so it looks like (from looking on places like salary.com) that I should be getting paid anywhere between 100 and 130k so I'll probably go in with the higher end of the scale and see what they come back with.
For an IT PM in New York City, $130k sounds low to me. Your mileage may vary. Elsewhere in New York State (I promised I wouldn't rant about people moving "To NY" and not specifying... :-P ) that's quite comfortable.

I don't know the company or the situation. Would you be in a position to live north - Westchester, Dutchess counties - and commute in? Metro North Railroad, for example, offers Monthly ticket prices at approximately half the normal ticket price. That might be workable, if you don't mind the trip, and it'd definitely be cheaper to find a place to live.

I got the $500 per month amount for medical from my potential new manager in NY. She said that, like me, she has a family of 4 and her medical is $500 per month for full cover. So it's probably a company plan...
Medical expenses vary incredibly, as does coverage. A lot of companies have started shifting over to "HDPPO" (high-deductable plans) that have a massive uncovered up-front deductible before covering a blanket 80%-100% of medical expenses - these minimize company expense and tend to look good because of very low premiums, but can really hurt you if you aren't prepared or are unlucky. Make sure before you accept anything you get specific details on both what's covered (make sure it covers standard annual things and emergency, and be aware whether it covers prescription, dental, or vision expenses. Find out about the possibilty of using FSAs, HSAs, and HRAs) and its cost. My health insurance is exceptionally good and costs me about $150/month for myself + 1, but I work for an insurance company so mine's better than most.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

jamesanding is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Neko128
For an IT PM in New York City, $130k sounds low to me. Your mileage may vary. Elsewhere in New York State (I promised I wouldn't rant about people moving "To NY" and not specifying... :-P ) that's quite comfortable.

I don't know the company or the situation. Would you be in a position to live north - Westchester, Dutchess counties - and commute in? Metro North Railroad, for example, offers Monthly ticket prices at approximately half the normal ticket price. That might be workable, if you don't mind the trip, and it'd definitely be cheaper to find a place to live.

Medical expenses vary incredibly, as does coverage. A lot of companies have started shifting over to "HDPPO" (high-deductable plans) that have a massive uncovered up-front deductible before covering a blanket 80%-100% of medical expenses - these minimize company expense and tend to look good because of very low premiums, but can really hurt you if you aren't prepared or are unlucky. Make sure before you accept anything you get specific details on both what's covered (make sure it covers standard annual things and emergency, and be aware whether it covers prescription, dental, or vision expenses. Find out about the possibilty of using FSAs, HSAs, and HRAs) and its cost. My health insurance is exceptionally good and costs me about $150/month for myself + 1, but I work for an insurance company so mine's better than most.
Medical is something I think that I need to make sure is good from what people what mentioned on here! coming from the UK it's hard becaues the NHS (I think) is so good so you don't really need to worry about having private medical.
Yes it's NYC So even 130k sounds low?! They've only offered me 95k so I'm way off the pay grade that I should be offered!
They haven't given me the official offer with line items for the relocation costs etc so once that come in (should be on the 4th or 5th) I'll start the negotiations.
should I be expecting my company to pay for temporary accomodation for when we first arrive? I thought that would have been standard but they didn't mention it...

In terms of living north of NYC, we would consider it but south is the preference as I want to be close as possible to the sea (because I surf).
Old Dec 29th 2010, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

Neko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud of

Medical is something I think that I need to make sure is good from what people what mentioned on here! coming from the UK it's hard becaues the NHS (I think) is so good so you don't really need to worry about having private medical.
Absolutely.

Yes it's NYC So even 130k sounds low?! They've only offered me 95k so I'm way off the pay grade that I should be offered!
It's less that I think 130k's a bad salary (it's rather more than I make, after all). I'd go for more than $95k, but somewhere in that range - $90k-$130k - is probably about right for the position (varying by industry, company size, and experience). It's more that it'll probably make living tight in NYC for a family of 4.

Some math (and forgive me if I ramble). Figure $100k. You'll take home something around $65k after taxes and such; you'll be hit with federal, state, and city taxes, after all. $3000/month in rent (and from what I can find, this is *low*, not average) is $36k out of that. If medical is $500/month, that's another $6k. Lets assume no car (*not* necessarily a safe assumption if you want to go surfing, but for this discussion...). A metro card varies on circumstance, but lets assume you're getting 2 (for adults) and your kids are young enough to ride free as appropriate - so that's $180/month, or another $2,160. The food cost average I always hear is $250/month/person, so lets say $10k/year ($830/month total). Time Warner Cable internet + TV + phone will be something like $100-150/month combined, so lets call that another $2k. Lets give you a cheap family cell plan, so maybe $80/month for cell phones, or another $1k/year. Electric will vary depending on location, building, and habits, but lets call it another $100/month or $1.2k. A lot of places will have a water charge (the city does charge, but some buildings will roll it into rent instead of metering), so lets call that another $600/year.

Add all that up, you come in around $60k, and you fit in under budget, but not by a huge amount. Add on top of that incidentals - laundry, entertainment expenses, whatever. Having a car will be a lot more - insurance especially will be expensive as an immigrant, especially in the city, and you can count on thousands for the first year at least.

I mean, I'm working with averages and vague numbers - but this is why I'd be concerned with that kind of salary.

They haven't given me the official offer with line items for the relocation costs etc so once that come in (should be on the 4th or 5th) I'll start the negotiations.
should I be expecting my company to pay for temporary accomodation for when we first arrive? I thought that would have been standard but they didn't mention it...
Something like that I'd expect to be covered under relocation expenses. It's not uncommon to have a short-term apartment lease or long-term hotel for a month, maybe (it happens all the time), but more typically I'd expect that to be just you - and for your family to join you a couple of weeks or months in after the details are all set.

In terms of living north of NYC, we would consider it but south is the preference as I want to be close as possible to the sea (because I surf).
I mentioned north rather than south/east because I grew up mostly in Duchess county, which is pretty much the north end of the commuting route into the city. Similar situations exist east and south, but I wouldn't be able to offer you any real info on them.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 4:11 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Untitled 3
Your commute is more likely to be 1.5 hrs or more given you budget. However, to minimize your commute you should look to reduce the number of connections. So if you're a few mins walk from home to train station then from train station to your office you could save a large amount of time.

Where on 6th Avenue (i.e. what cross street) is your office? If it's in the 40s/50s then it may well be better to live in Long Island as this will mean a train straight to Grand Central. If the 20s/30s then NJ trains to Penn Station.

You might also want to check out a neighborhood called Riverdale which is in the Bronx or Forest Hills which is in Queens. Both are still in the city but a little further out. Have good schools and are nice places. You might find something within your budget there.

Will your company pay for accommodation for the first 1 or 2 months you're here? That will give you more time to explore a few areas and find the right place for you. We were recommended many different places which I thought we awful when I visited. We personally couldn't stand the thought of moving to the suburbs so we compromised on space and stayed in Manhattan.
Long Island trains don't go to Grand Central. They go to Penn Station along with New Jersey transit. Metro North trains go to Grand Central.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

Untitled 3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by penguinbar
Long Island trains don't go to Grand Central. They go to Penn Station along with New Jersey transit. Metro North trains go to Grand Central.
Mea culpa
Old Dec 29th 2010, 7:04 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

No problem. Just wanted to correct it in case it would be an issue regarding commuting. Also for those of you thinking of moving to NYC including the boroughs(Queens, Brooklyn) Rents are very negotiable and there is no need to pay a fee for an apartment even if you use a broker. Also the areas that Rete suggested outside the city are really lovely.

Last edited by penguinbar; Dec 29th 2010 at 7:05 pm. Reason: mistake
Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

mmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to all

I'm CA based and no expert on NYC by any means. My company is HQ'd in NYC though. Most of our staff there I think would be on $50k-$80k, obviously varying family situations. Almost all commute from out of state. In fact, a couple of our snr executives come in from two states away.

The one big plus I think NYC has over SoCal is the commuting. Everyone in SoCal has a commute, but the commute times are all basically lost time - we're all driving. Our folks in NYC take trains - and can read, sleep, blackberry, ipad, laptop away to their hearts content. The commutes are not lost time.

If salary vs. getting a feel for a cost of living is a major concern (and it sounds like it is) - maybe it’s a good idea to find someone a bit further out, but more affordable. +/- an additional 20-30 minutes on a train each way seems better then the threat of not being able to pay bills. Ultimately, once you've been here a little while, you can make a much better assessment on if you can afford to move closer to your work or not. Or even if that's desirable - I know a lot of folks who've moved out of the city with their family, and much prefer that.

Good luck to you!
-Matt
Old Dec 29th 2010, 9:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
..There are familys of four in New York living on much less believe it or not...
You don't intentionally move half way across the world to be financially worse off though...
Old Dec 30th 2010, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by Bob
You don't intentionally move half way across the world to be financially worse off though...
That's true.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
Well, I'll argue this to the extent that I know one person who gave up a high-paying job in Japan, moved to Texas, and is now flipping burgers, because he chose being with his (now fiance) significant other over money. But I agree that in this case that doesn't apply.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 5:53 am
Just Joined

drbg is an unknown quantity at this point

You may consider the Bayside section of Queens which generally has good schools, and is a quick train ride on the LIRR to Penn Station. According to wikipedia, "The median household income in 2005 was $62,611". You'll need to consider car insurance also - when I moved over ~15 years ago, I bought a second-hand car for $6K, but it cost $4k/yr to insure it! Also, your relocation package should include an electronics allowance of $5k+.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.