Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

s/o Are you drinking more in America vs. the UK?

s/o Are you drinking more in America vs. the UK?

Old Sep 27th 2014, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

Kneeno is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: s/o Are you drinking more in America vs. the UK?

A lot, lot less. That's due to location though but I very rarely miss a blow out in the pub. Just now and again I feel like I could go for a bit of a session like the old days but our town has only just gone "moist" in the last year or so, so there's still no bar culture (and never will be in my lifetime I expect). I rarely drink at home and if I do it's maybe 4 bottles of cider or lager and then that's it. Never really drank at home back home and just don't do it now. I may have a few more when we occasionally have a firepit going and friends/family round but it's really only me as the locals aren't used to "social drinking" in that context and I can tell some see it as evil as they grew up only knowing that people drank to get VERY drunk as there was nothing else going on.

As I said I don't really miss it but the two times I've been back since moving here has seen me slip back into the old ways easily but I've found I really don't like hangovers now! (never did before but just found them a way of life)
Old Sep 27th 2014, 3:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat027 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
At my peak here I got through a liter of Rum a week. Plus a few beers.
I drink a lot less now i have kids.
I still take Milk Thistle, an herbal supplement that detoxifies and protects the liver.
I've gone from one extreme to the other. 10 years ago in the UK I was doing a 70cl bottle of Bacardi each night, and was on the edge with my liver. Now I'll have a couple of buds each month, maybe.

I do want to get my tolerance back up a little though. I feel a big girls blouse getting giddy off 2 bottles of bud then suffering an awful hangover!
Old Sep 27th 2014, 3:33 am
Just Joined

Islandlife is an unknown quantity at this point

About the same amount. In the UK there was more opportunity to go out with friends, where I'm living in USA there is literally nowhere to go (my husband and I will manage a trip to the mainland about once a fortnight, where we usually get a hotel for the night and go for dinner and drinks) but hubby is a skilled mixologist with a well stocked booze cupboard and makes me cocktails on demand
Old Sep 27th 2014, 3:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

A bottle of Bacardi a night?

Actually I have a taste of good Bourbon these days.
Enjoy a Manhattan, with three or four shots...but then, on occasion I drink a whole bottle of Sauvignon Blanc afterwards. Several mugs of tea in the morning, a session at the gym, and right as rain.

Incidentally, Costco is doing their own brand Kirkland Bourbon, however I'm fairly certain that it's a, usually more expensive, Makers Mark. It's very good.
Old Sep 27th 2014, 3:48 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Well, day/night. It was my 'Leaving Las Vegas' stage!
Old Sep 27th 2014, 4:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Did you have an Elisabeth Shue?
Old Sep 27th 2014, 6:06 pm
Account Closed

Did you have an Elisabeth Shue?
Sure.
Old Sep 27th 2014, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I have a taste of good Bourbon these days.
Enjoy a Manhattan, with three or four shots...but then, on occasion I drink a whole bottle of Sauvignon Blanc afterwards. Several mugs of tea in the morning, a session at the gym, and right as rain.

Incidentally, Costco is doing their own brand Kirkland Bourbon, however I'm fairly certain that it's a, usually more expensive, Makers Mark. It's very good.
There are whole sections of the Internet dedicated to jumping on each new batch of Kirkland Scotch, Bourbon, vodka etc and trying to work out who made it. It has been alleged previous years the Scotch was macallan.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 12:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
There are whole sections of the Internet dedicated to jumping on each new batch of Kirkland Scotch, Bourbon, vodka etc and trying to work out who made it. It has been alleged previous years the Scotch was macallan.
Most single malt scotch is blended from multiple casks (unless it is sold as "single cask"), but blenders can buy whole casks, it is perfectly possible that Kirkland could be Macallan malt, just not blended to a perfect taste match with actual Macallan single malt.

I used to like the Oddbins single malts. They did (do?) Highland, Speyside, Lowlands, and Islands single malts, and I used to get one each year for Christmas and New Year, .... back when I thought that finishing bottle of spirits over a ten day period was "heavy drinking".
Old Sep 29th 2014, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Funstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond repute

I possibly drink more but I have only been here for 6 weeks and its been unbelievably stressful. But I drink a beer or two a night possibly a bourbon as a nightcap.

I haven't been out for drinks at all (as I refuse to drink and drive despite it's popularity round here) so not opportunity for binge drinking on my part.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

IlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond repute

We do drink more as we don't have a car (yet - under discussion) and we're living in the city so we just walk to most places. I've noticed we drink more spirits, they're much more available and cheaper than the UK and the drinks are about twice as big. One martini is fairly bracing....
Old Oct 1st 2014, 7:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IlAlfie
We do drink more as we don't have a car (yet - under discussion) and we're living in the city so we just walk to most places. I've noticed we drink more spirits, they're much more available and cheaper than the UK and the drinks are about twice as big. One martini is fairly bracing....
Yup, "a double" (2floz) is usually considered standard. ..... In a number of states it was, until quite recently (I think SC was the last to change, about 6-7 years ago), required that spirits be served from airline style mini bottles, containing 2floz, and so serving anything other than a double was effectively illegal as there was no way to measure a 1floz serving.
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 4:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

WTF!

New drug for 'mild alcoholics' drinking two glasses of wine a night - Telegraph
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Old Oct 8th 2014, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

mrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud of

we went out for dinner last night and had a bottle of wine between three of us! Two fewer than normal and one than we ever would have managed back in blighty…

I only thought about it afterwards.