Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

s/o Are you drinking more in America vs. the UK?

s/o Are you drinking more in America vs. the UK?

Old Sep 24th 2014, 5:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: s/o Are you drinking more in America vs. the UK?

Old Sep 24th 2014, 5:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

And I limit myself to one martini on a Friday.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 6:19 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Less. Though I think it's through age/circumstance rather than anything else. When I first moved over I lived in a walkable part of the city and drank the same I'd say. Now with kids and living out in the burbs I rarely drink.
Except this week which has been just full of alcohol whilst entertaining (British!) clients...
Old Sep 24th 2014, 6:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

No POETS day here. Not many places in walking distance, or people to drink with...so generally, drink much less here.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

mrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud of

Less - mostly down to not being able to walk / take public transport for a drink anywhere.

That said - I think that Northern California has quite a booze-accepting culture - in our office there are lots of desks with bottles of high end tequila / scotch / bourbon on that have clearly been opened….
Old Sep 24th 2014, 8:18 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

More, but life has changed.

When we left the UK our daughter was 4, so we went out less often, and drank at home less as your constantly on the go with young kids. We'd also eat out less as a family, and didn't have anywhere local so would normally be driving. However, before we had a kid we used to drink virtually every night, and nights out in groups were messy.

Now our daughter is 12 she's out a lot, and we have a great wine bar local to us. We also often have a drink or 2 with dinner, as once we're in for the night, it's all very relaxed with no kid duties to perform. We can easily get to a variety of bars/restaurants without the car. However, nights out in groups have virtually disappeared, so we very rarely have those 'what happened?' nights.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 8:44 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I don't recall the last time I was sober
Old Sep 24th 2014, 9:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat027 is an unknown quantity at this point

Much less. My life in the UK revolved around alcohol. Here it seems to be about fitness and the two don't really mix.

I've always said though, that my retirement plan is back in the UK in a social club with friends drinking every day.

This will be me:

Old Sep 24th 2014, 10:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thinbrit
I don't recall the last time I was sober
I do...I was 17.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 10:16 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I drink less here, a few reasons.

Family get togethers, are often organized by none drinkers (or alkies on the quiet) so you have to bring your own, if you remember to.

If beer is provided it is undrinkable (that domestic stuff)

You have to drive most of the time.

Cask is rare, and I do not enjoy gassy beer as much.

When good beer is available it is often fairly strong, and with the driving, I have to limit it even more.

The lack of pleasant places just to have a pint and a read while killing time. It is either a fairly rough "tavern" or a place that expects you to buy a meal.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 10:27 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kimilseung
The lack of pleasant places just to have a pint and a read while killing time. It is either a fairly rough "tavern" or a place that expects you to buy a meal.
That's one thing I've noticed here. It's always about food and I couldn't care less about food to be honest.

If you look at bar reviews on yelp etc, nearly every review is all about food. I want to know what the atmosphere is like, what the beer is like, how busy, whether they show the football, what the talent is like etc.

I really don't care if your entrée was slightly undercooked!
Old Sep 24th 2014, 10:38 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
... a fairly rough "tavern" ....
I'm going to follow up on my own quote. There is not a pub in the UK that I would not go in to, I know the social cues. As a Socuser I have had to watch myself in a few Manchester council estate ale houses, I know when to shut up and when to leave.

I do not feel knowledgeable enough to do that in a few taverns. The dodgy taverns are far rarer than the UK, but I just dont know how to read them, and I suppose I cant be bothered learning, because, well they are a bit weird anyway.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 10:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dek
That's one thing I've noticed here. It's always about food and I couldn't care less about food to be honest.

If you look at bar reviews on yelp etc, nearly every review is all about food. I want to know what the atmosphere is like, what the beer is like, how busy, whether they show the football, what the talent is like etc.

I really don't care if your entrée was slightly undercooked!
Licensing laws. Lots of places insist you serve food to also sell alcohol.

See also This Brewery Had A Hilarious Response To Mandatory Food Service
Old Sep 24th 2014, 10:44 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Licensing laws. Lots of places insist you serve food to also sell alcohol.

See also This Brewery Had A Hilarious Response To Mandatory Food Service
I understand that, but the mentality in the US seems to be to focus on the food. From my experience in the UK, if you had to order some food, it would be a quick plate of chips then on to the beer and fun.

I just think people get too hung up on food here. Just one of my US gripes
Old Sep 24th 2014, 10:49 pm
He/him

Originally Posted by dek
I understand that, but the mentality in the US seems to be to focus on the food. From my experience in the UK, if you had to order some food, it would be a quick plate of chips then on to the beer and fun.

I just think people get too hung up on food here. Just one of my US gripes
If you go for a "session" you are considered an alcoholic by many.
Me and the missus went for a few pints this Sunday about 11:00, I just felt disapproval from the brunch eaters around us.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.