Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

RORO car shipping UK to USA

RORO car shipping UK to USA

Old Nov 27th 2016, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RORO car shipping UK to USA

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
How much did it cost you to take the Defender to the Dock, and did you do it yourself or did you have a shipper do it?

Going off on a tangent: Back in the mid 1990s when I was living in London, I looked seriously into bringing a Defender 110 to the US but gave up on the idea because the cost to comply with EPA/DOT was around 15K, which was too much for me. Fast-forward 10 years I ended up buying a NAS-spec 110 over here.
I did not know anyone had actually brought in a 110 and had it modified to comply using an RI (Registered Importer).
As around 512 were imported in 1993 the only 110 you could import would be a 1993 V8 left hand drive 110. Right hand drive and diesel conversions are not allowed.
A few years ago someone had a hare brained scheme to bring in LHD diesels from Europe and fit them with 200tdi engines brought in as industrial diesels as far as I know none were ever imported.
Cost around 240 UK pounds to ship the Rover to the port, the shippers did it for me.

Last edited by ottotheboar; Nov 27th 2016 at 12:46 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
The duty is calculated on the value on the bill of sale.
You will need a bill of sale as part of the documentation needed to make the booking.
Shipping from Germany to the UK then to the USA will be more expensive as you will be paying more in road haulage fees for the same RORO price.
Don't the big RORO guys go to Europort and/or Antwerp or Hamburg ?
Old Nov 27th 2016, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

I talked to the owner of the Mercedes truck , in Germany and asked him/her if a commercial truck license (like our CDL) was required. He/she said no, a normal license (for driving passenger cars)is all that is needed.

So I presume this truck is not in a weight class that requires commercial truck license. It is a light duty commercial vehicle that is 1 size above the heaviest Mercedes Sprinter chassis cab.

So I am going to talk to our customs tomorrow and explain the situation and ask them if it is still considered a commercial vehicle, and if so how that effects the importation.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

I did not know anyone had actually brought in a 110 and had it modified to comply using an RI (Registered Importer).
As around 512 were imported in 1993 the only 110 you could import would be a 1993 V8 left hand drive 110. Right hand drive and diesel conversions are not allowed.
A few years ago someone had a hare brained scheme to bring in LHD diesels from Europe and fit them with 200tdi engines brought in as industrial diesels as far as I know none were ever imported.
Cost around 240 UK pounds to ship the Rover to the port, the shippers did it for me.
I don't know of any either but I did find a R.I. in the 1990s and mid 2000s who said they could Federalize a 1993 Defender 110.

Just thought of another question/possible problem:

The Mercedes truck was manufactured in 1992. So I assumed on Jan 1st 2017 it would be 25 years old as far as EPA/DOT is concerned. But then I thought what if the 25 year rule is from the date of Manufacture ; so if the Mercedes truck was manufactured on July 1st 1992, it wouldn't be legal to import until July 1st 2017?? Anyone know the answer to this?

Last edited by Boomhauer; Nov 27th 2016 at 6:09 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

I don't know of any either but I did find a R.I. in the 1990s and mid 2000s who said they could Federalize a 1993 Defender 110.

Just thought of another question/possible problem:

The Mercedes truck was manufactured in 1992. So I assumed on Jan 1st 2017 it would be 25 years old as far as EPA/DOT is concerned. But then I thought what if the 25 year rule is from the date of Manufacture ; so if the Mercedes truck was manufactured on July 1st 1992, it wouldn't be legal to import until July 1st 2017?? Anyone know the answer to this?
Just found this

You should note that the 25 year period runs from the date of the vehicle's manufacture. If the date of manufacture is not identified on a label permanently affixed to the vehicle by its original manufacturer, to establish the age of the vehicle, you should have documentation available such as an invoice showing the date the vehicle was first sold or a registration document showing that the vehicle was registered at least 25 years ago. Absent such information, a statement from a recognized vehicle historical society identifying the age of the vehicle could be used.
Importation and Certification FAQ's Directory--All Vehicles
Old Nov 27th 2016, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

It should not be loaded on the vessel till it is 25 years old. It can be rejected if it turns 25 years during the voyage.

I did look at becoming an RI but there are so few 1993 V8 lhd 110s around it was not worth it. I think the Safety Devices roll cages were in short supply at the time as well.

Most of the later cars you see less than 25 years old came in under the grey market loophole which has now been closed

Last edited by ottotheboar; Nov 27th 2016 at 8:13 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

It should not be loaded on the vessel till it is 25 years old. It can be rejected if it turns 25 years during the voyage.

I did look at becoming an RI but there are so few 1993 V8 lhd 110s around it was not worth it. I think the Safety Devices roll cages were in short supply at the time as well.

Most of the later cars you see less than 25 years old came in under the grey market loophole which has now been closed
Why are sellers asking and in many cases getting crazy high prices for Defenders on Ebay? I would have thought that with the influx of 25+ year old Defenders now , the used value of all Defenders here would have dropped like a rock but instead they are selling for way way more now than 10 years ago when I bought my NAS spec 110 on Ebay. What gives

I believe Solihull either did the roll-cages at their special vehicles unit or had another firm do them for the NAS spec Defenders.

I am planning on re-powering my Landie with a VM Motori EcoDiesel, the same one in Ram 1500 picks and Jeep Grand Cherokees.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

When the Discovery with the 200tdi engine was introduced it hit 110 sales.

Very few 110s were manufactured in the early 90s. The late 1990 models with the 200tdi and lhd are the ones bringing the big money. A lot of people tried to bring in rusty rhd models and did not make the killing they had hoped for.

110 200tdi lhd 5 door models are very scarce I was about to buy a 1992 in Italy then it was sold for 16,000 euros plus 500 tax as it had to be kept in Italy till it was eligible for export.

The only place with any number of 110 Rovers is Turkey and to say that doing business there is extremely difficult is an understatement.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

When the Discovery with the 200tdi engine was introduced it hit 110 sales.

Very few 110s were manufactured in the early 90s. The late 1990 models with the 200tdi and lhd are the ones bringing the big money. A lot of people tried to bring in rusty rhd models and did not make the killing they had hoped for.

110 200tdi lhd 5 door models are very scarce I was about to buy a 1992 in Italy then it was sold for 16,000 euros plus 500 tax as it had to be kept in Italy till it was eligible for export.

The only place with any number of 110 Rovers is Turkey and to say that doing business there is extremely difficult is an understatement.
These prices are crazy!
defender in eBay Motors | eBay

Do you think it is possible to bring in an early 2000s U300 Unimog? The U400 and U500 were sold here badged as Freightliners. The U300 has the same body style but has less cargo capacity; it's like the difference between a Silverado 1500 vs 2500 and 3500. The Unimog is a commerical vehicle and used as a farm implement so I wonder if EPA/DOT compliance laws are different.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

These prices are crazy!
defender in eBay Motors | eBay

Do you think it is possible to bring in an early 2000s U300 Unimog? The U400 and U500 were sold here badged as Freightliners. The U300 has the same body style but has less cargo capacity; it's like the difference between a Silverado 1500 vs 2500 and 3500. The Unimog is a commerical vehicle and used as a farm implement so I wonder if EPA/DOT compliance laws are different.

I would say no, if the U300 was never imported then there is no NHSTA / DEQ standard to comply to similar to the 1993 110 V8 situation. Defender 90s were imported over various years but that does not allow 110s of the same year to be imported even though they are similar vehicles.

Unimogs are trucks with some agricultural capabilities but still trucks and you may be back to the 25% tax as well.

It would be very risky to try to import one as an agricultural or off road vehicle.

If it is rejected and seized you will be in for a long painful and expensive process to try to recover the vehicle. If you really irritate them it will be crushed.